Arimidex - Trigger Finger SE?

Hello ladies, don’t post very often but still come on to see posts in case I can benefit from any of them. Started Arimidex in August and have been suffering from trigger thumb which is not only very painful but I have no strength in my fingers. Doctor said it can happen to anyone and I do know that it is very common regardless of medication. Apparently even Maggie Thatcher used to suffer from it. It would appear that my other thumb is now starting to be affected and I wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same. It does say in my contraindications that it can be caused by taking Arimidex. My joints are all very painful and I thought they would settle down after chemo but I finished this in June and still feel like I am 90! Don’t want to come off Arimidex as I feel it is my safety net, so would welcome any one’s stories. Thank you.

Hi. I suffered with really painful joints in my hand and trigger finger in the little finger on my right hand after I was changed from the original arimidex onto the Teva brand generic version. My onc asked my GP to swop back to the original and the joint pain has almost completely ceased and the trigger finger has stopped.
Pam x

Hi Girls,

I’m not on arimidex but am on tamoxifen. I also have trigger thumb and very sore joints in my hands. It is very painful and I too have a decrease of strenght in my fingers.
It all started with numbness in the last two fingers of one hand followed by spasms in my hand when my fingers completely locked. I see my consultant today and this is on my list of questions.

Tina

Thanks ladies. Fingers are all losing strength and frustrating when trying to do simple things like open bottles etc. and doing up buttons. Only another 4.5 years to go!..Best wishes to you all. x

I had trigger fingers and thumbs on Arimidex, and they disappeared when I went back to Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen should actually be less likely to lead to trigger fingers because it has an oestrogen-like effect outside the breast.
However, I have met a woman on her fifth year of Arimidex who had trigger thumbs on it and they went away within a year, not long after she started it.
When I first had the problem, I had a cortisone injection in my thumb. The pain went immediately, but the clicking remained, and eventually it all came back and in my other hand too. The final straw was the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome and even weakness in my ankles.

I gather (have probably reported this before) that the operation to cure trigger digits is straightforward and effective. They are swollen tendons, I think, and a small cut is made in the sheath, which then grows back bigger, so the swollen tendon causes no more problems. I should think the cortisone injection as a first treatment would be worth considering.

Margaret

hi there. I have been on arimidex for 3 years now and I suffered trigger finger and thumb for about the first year. It was not a recognised side effect at the time and I see now it is listed as a side effect so fed up with being told its not the drugs when it is. Worst bit joints have become worse still feel 90 best wishes suzan x