Arimidex

Arimidex

Arimidex One year on but although I have read lots on this site, this is the first time I have wanted to join in. I was lucky - c. caught really early and first year check all clear. It is just the Arimidex - aches and pains like flu, joints seize up (especially over night), and I feel tired. Don’t like moaning to the family, although they are really supportive, but is there anything I can take other than pain killers? Feel like coming off it but don’t want to have to make that decision in case c. comes back.

I hate Arimidex (as posted on BCPals!) HI Lesley

I really do sympathise with you, I started Arimidex in Jan this year and my Onc has already taken me off them! I live what I think is a fairly active lifestyle and it was severely affecting my quality of life.

I have been off them 8 weeks now and I still get leg aches, seized up feeling and hot flushes etc, etc… The plan is for me to go onto Tamoxifen, but from what I read I have already made the decision that I am going to refuse them and take my chances. I want to be able to enjoy my life and do the things I want!

I take Ibuprofen & Paracetamol for the leg pains, which does help a little bit - I have the added problem of having had a new knee 2 years ago (I know Im only 40, but my knee is like an 90 years olds - according to the radiologist!) so I still get pain from that which the Arimidex exacerbated.

Anyway good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Lynn x

Dear Lesley Welcome to the forums, I am sure you receive further valuable support and advice from the other users, in addition please do not hesitate to contact our freephone confidential helpline on 0808 800 6000 which is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm. The helpliners are either breast care nurses or have had experience of breast cancer so are able to provide support and information regarding the many aspects of breast cancer, including treatments and side effects.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi there Lesley
Just to say that I too had the same problem with Ari so I took Chronoaid and Omeg 3. Neither on prescription - I dont think. But I found that they helped . Try them and see but it took about a month for them to kick in .
Luv jANE

ARIMIDEX TOO I am almost a year on from first dx and been on the arimidex since November 2006. Our side effects seem common - but uncomfortable all the same. I feel 100 in the morning - and most nights I am in bed by 9!! Do you also have these hot flashes - or ‘power surges’ as they are aptly called?
I have not tried pain killers - as aches and pains do clear off a bit when mobile - I am also going into the gym three or four times a week to try and keep supple. Don’t know if this is working - but worried to stop incase I sieze up altogether!
Unless these effects get worse I will be sticking with the tablets - each to her own tho - but have a chat with bcn before stopping.

More Arimidex moans! I started on Arimidex at the beginning of this month following a recurrence of BC in the same breast after 17 years remission.
Previously I had been on Tamoxifen and had to stop it after 3 years as the relentless hot flushes were ruining my entire life. This time maybe because I am older - 68 - the hot flushes are back but not so intense - am keeping a diary for my next visit to the oncologist. I am getting aching legs and backache plus headaches but go to yoga classes and work out in the gym several times a week as I do think keeping busy and fit are very important and also good for your bones. I do get tired though - fell asleep on the sofa yesterday after lunch which is totally out of character! Keep telling myself that the symptoms will lessen with time. Happy Bank Holiday weekend to everyone.

Thanks for your replies - will look for Chronoid - have started taking cod liver oil and glucosomine, but I believe it takes a little while before any effect is felt. Will also try and up the exercise - unfortunately I have to work with a computer much of the day and when absorbed forget to get up and move around - but I walk the dog, do a yoga class (will try and do 2) and have just started swimming again - won’t stop taking the pills - will beat this!!!

Lesley