Arrrhhh yet another delay!

Hi All

Feeling very frustrated today was supposed to go for my 4th cycle of Gem/Carbo and had it deferred for a week due to low blood count, this is the 2nd time this has happened (also in Jan) and they reduced the dosage by 10%. My onc wasn’t in today but the registrar said she will discuss this with my onc on his return and he may want to reduce my dosage further, I’m understandbly anxious as I don’t want this to keep happening but equally I’m worried that if they reduce it any more its not going to be effective.

I’ve got lymph node mets and have a sizeable lump close to my collarbone and although it doesn’t feel any larger it doesn’t appear to be getting any smaller either, I’m due to have a scan after my 4th cycle so this delay has made me even more upset, I mentioned my concerns today but don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks

Claire

Dear Claire,
Sorry that you are having a rough time of it. I’m not able to offer advice but hope it is sorted for you soon.
Sue x

Hi Claire, so sorry you’ve had this disruption. I had the 6th cycle of my FEC-T delayed by a week and the dose reduced and it really upset me - not that I was looking forward to it of course but I had my mind focussed on the treatment as planned and to have it adjusted was really tricky to get my head round.
Just a couple of thoughts -
-are you on one of the drugs/injections that helps keep your bloods up, it may not be right for your situation but I was on GCSF.

• I think the docs are probably right most of the time about pauses and reductions in dose…cos they see the people who are unlucky enough to get infections and how tricky that can be. I certainly thought my onc was being straight with me about it, if a bit bossy - no hope of any shared decision making in this situation!
    very best of luck, Nicola

Sorry you are going through this claire, waiting isnt good at any time. I havent really got any advice but wanted to offer my support. I expect you are on the injections already? My oncologist at christie switched me to the one jab neulasta when my bllods were low and i was neutropenic as the 5 injection granocyte clearly hadnt worked. My bloods were low but acceptable thereafter. Then theres the iron rich diet approach too, drink fresh orange juice with your iron rich foods As vitamin c helps to aid absorption on iron.