Arthritic pain after chemo - how long?

Hi,
I finished chemo in April 08, 4 x Tax and Cylcophosphamide. Within a month or so I noticed I was quite stiff, now 9 months later its worse if anything. Ankles, knees, elbows (can hardly hold my glass of wine!) etc.
I put it down to the Taxotere but now thinking it may be due to hormonal change brought on by “instant” menopause and that it may be long term. Thats a depressing thought!
Has anyone else had this and for how long?

Thank you

Katie

Hi Katie,
unfortunately i can’t offer any advice but will be interested what people have to say. I finished FEC in December and for just over a week i have had achey neck and also feel stiff. If i bend down it’s like an old lady getting back on to my feet.
I’ve been wondering if its accumlative as i didn’t get it after the other 5 chemos or if as you say its hormonal.

Hope someone can help us

take care Tracey

Hi!

Unfortunately some of these arthritis type symptoms seem to be permanent after some types of chemo - judging by what’s happened to two friends of mine. It’s a pity that oncs don’t seem to tell people all this before they start the treatment - there was someone on here the other day who has a permanent hearing loss from chemo - but then I suppose the only alternative would be not to have the chemo, unless there are some kinds which don’t give these sort of side effects. Sorry not to have more cheerful news…

Hi all

I finished 6xFEC in Feb 07, and just after, as you say, the stiffness set in. I even went to the GP thinking I had arthritis it was so bad.

It does get better, but I attribute it to the lack of hormones, as I went into a premature menopause with the chemo.

Hang on in there, it does take a while to get over the effect of the chemo, but it does get better.

Love Deborah xx

Hi Everyone
I finished chemo in November and am on tamoxifen. I’m trying to do more walking and exercise but am finding I have joint problems and feel quite stiff if I’ve sat down for too long. Also ankles feel quite achy if I’ve been on my feet most of the day. I thought it was tamoxifen but maybe it’s the taxotere aswell? Is anyone else having these problems taking tamoxifen?
Smiler
x

Hi All,
I already had arthritis before chemo but I am much worse now. I don’t know how much is down to chemo and Arimidex and how much is natural progression of the arthritis. I do know that I feel like a very old woman now. I’m 62 but feel as if I’m 90!
This bc and the side effects of treatment are a real b****r. I wonder if anyone will find a treatment that doesn’t have all these rotten side effects.?
xx

Hello All

I finished Fec & tax oct 2008, then rads, Tamoxifen & Herceptin which I finished last month. Like maionrae I also had arititis & left knee ( which I knew) then with the bone scan, in 2007 was told it was in shoulder. Last September apart from walking round like a 90 year old, I started to get severe pain in my good knee, this has not eased off and after 4 attempts with my doctor who said it wpuld be aritritus I begged them to send me for an x-ray to at least confirm it. They did & it was also with bone spurs already. I will be seeing my onclogist this Wed I am going to ask him if this due to being thrown into menopause or if this is as good as it gets. I will let every one know.

Ps I was given anti inflamortries for the pain & ened up in hospital with an ulcer stayed there longer than my masectomy what a life. ( it certainly is a journey) : - ) Heather xxxx

Hi All:

Like many of you I too have arthritis which stems from Tax. I finished my 6th round in Sept and the arthritis got progressively worse. I find that if I walk and move around quickly in the morning it seems to lessen as the day goes on. Also, I have been avoiding foods such as tomatoes and white potatoes which can trigger arthritic flare-ups. Interesting that the onset of menopause can be a factor. I am experiencing that too. I am also taking fish oil and vitamin B which help. Thanks for sharing!

Diane B

Me too. Finished 4 x EC and 4 x Tax in August, and thought, right, I’ll start getting a bit of strength back now. But… left with joint pain (onc: most get muscle pain, you’ve got joints!), peripheral neuropathy still there in toes. Taking B vits and folic acid which another highly respected site suggested, also GP independently mentioned.

My job can be quite physical at times and have difficulty getting down to floor level and back again. Have no complaints about Tax. It worked to shrink the tumour. But would be good to have been told about possibility of joint pain etc. Then i could’ve had strategies in place! I know it affects everyone differently, but have been surprised that I’ve not been able to bounce back, being blessed with the immune system of a small nuclear power station and also being pretty fit, pre-cancer.

Another onc told me “The treatment takes a big bite out of you. One day you’ll wake up feeling like yourself again.”

Can’t wait. Has anyone found a stretch/Pilates/exercise regime that’s worked for them?

Best to all.

L

Can’t help with the exercise regime but I’ve found taking Glucosamine supplements with MSM supplement is really helping. My left knee was so bad I couldn’t get up and down stairs without putting both feet on each stair and in enormous pain. The supplements were suggested by my GP who said he can’t ignore how many patients have told him how helpful they are even though he isn’t all that in favour of things outside of prescribed medicines.

Hi Ladies

I am also suffering really badly with bone and joint pain, had 4 x FEC and 4 x Tax which I completed in June 2008. The pain just doesn’t seem to get any better, really struggle getting around some days and in absolute agony, so much so that it brings me to tears… I think the struggling is also making me depressed, I get so fed up with it all. Have spoken to my ONC who doesn’t really seem to be interested, my GP also doesn’t really know what to do with me - sorry to moan

Jackie x

reading through this and it sounds just like my problems, I posted a thread called “aches & pains”. I finished tax in Oct, and for the last few weeks have noticed increasing aches & pains in shoulders, arms, back, hips and knees. I spoke to a dr at rads today and he said its probably chemo which can take 6 months to wain, or possibly Herceptin. I’m glad its a common problem but sorry that you are all suffering too if you know what I mean.

xxxx

I finished chemo in April 08 and have not been on anything else e.g. herceptin or tamoxifen, so thats over 9 months now. I told my onc a couple of weeks ago that if anything my joint pain is worse and in more joints e.g. elbows and knees. I asked if it could be arthritis brought on by menopause and he said it might. He has referred me to a Rheumatologist and I have an appointment on 25th Feb. Will let you all know how I get on!!
Googled rheumatoid arthritis and was not a happy camper…!!

Love

Katie x