Atypical ductal hyper-plasia

I have recently had a lump removed from my left breast and was told it was atypical ductal hyper-plasia. This was not evident at first because the biopsy showed abnormal cells present on the lump whilst when the lump was removed no abnormal cells were found. At a subsequent consultation I was told I had had ADH. As a result I am being placed on an annual mammogram program for the next five years after which they will review it. I know I am very lucky not to have cancer but I don’t know what ADH is and I am concerned that I might get another lump. Can anyone help?

Dear furby,

Welcome to the forums. I am sure other members will soon be along to offer support. I thought the BCC publication on Atypical hyperplasia might be helpful for you. Here is the link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/hyperplasia__web_final_feb_08_0.pdf

You can also phone our Helpline for information and support. They are open on weekdays from 9-5 and on Saturdays from 9-2. The nuimber is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

Hi Furby, your comments about Atypical ductal hyper-plasia bring back my concern about my sentinel node biopsy in 2009. First I was told that the result was negative, but the final result showed the presence of Atypical Lobular hyperplasia. I was told by the surgeon that Local Pathology didn’t have a clear answer for what that meant, so I went to the Mayo Clinic to ask for the significance of that finding, but they did not have an answer either. I emailed the American Cancer Society, and their response was a concern for possible return of the cancer. Then I emailed the John Hopkins Cancer Center with the same question, and their response was that it didn’t mean anything, and that I was a Poster Child for why women should have a yearly mammogram. Obviously, I like that last opinion, but I agree with others on this forum that would like to have a special conference on DCIS. Reading the Posts on this forum have certainly increased my understanding of all the facets of this particular cancer.

What is it? Atypical hyper plasia?

I have read up on it now, interesting that in the UK, it is seen as no higher risk of breast cancer, in the US, a different story…

Bearing in mind, this is based on one paper from each country…