353552posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aug 2016 Rads anyone?

Highlighted

Re: Aug 2016 Rads anyone?

Oh dear Janey, not having much luck are you?  Hope things improve soon and no more trips to hospital or doctors for you until you get your treatment plan.  Just keep eating the cucumbers, especially if youve got to lay off the gin for a while xx

Highlighted

Well that will teach me not to add gin to the tonic to keep me cool tonight. Just back from the late night doctor with an infection. I bet we can't swear on this site, but I want to. Heavy duty antibiotics (2 sorts - 1 no alcohol and 1 no sun!). Hoping will all be resolved in a couple of days, otherwise hospital after the bank holiday to have lump drained. I think I've said elsewhere about BC being the gift that keeps on giving. What I realised also was that I had no numbers to ring if worried - lesson learned.
Kim I'm sorry you're waiting on more tests. There are some times it's difficult to channel our inner Kylies, hope we all sleep, keep cool and have less sore boobs in the morning xx
Highlighted

Kim, I'm on Anastrozole not tamoxifen.  I too am suffering horrendous hot sweats and getting hardly any sleep.  I take my pill in the morning for that reason.  Someone on the hormone thread suggested drinking a glass of tonic water before bed to help with sweats, I did last night, might be coincidence but they did seem a bit better, going to try it again tonight.  As well as my chillow pads which I've had for a few weeks, today I recieved a delivery of several cooling pads I ordered on line which are currently in the freezer, I'm going to put them in the bed under the sheet spread here and there - getting so desperate I'm trying everything I can think of xx

Highlighted

my nights are ridiculous still with the hot sweats the fan going all the time and trying to aim it at the hot boob. I take my tamoxifen at nights I am not sure now whether to change to morning. Maybe I would have better sleeps? when do others take their tamoxifen? x

Highlighted

Kim, I had dreadful stabbing pains in my breast about 2 weeks in, really bad, I posted on here under Rad/pain.      I was really worried and asked the radiologist about them,  they were less than helpful.  I had them on and off for a week or so.  They did get less intense and longer inbetween.  I still get them but only now and then.  I can empathise with you, every ache, pain twinge anywhere now is always a big concern.  If you're anything like me, your boob will look/get worse after youve finished, but keep creaming, resting and drinking water.  I'm now 10 days since last session and boob still looks red and still got a rash and peeling nipple but feels soooo much better, both inside and out.  Just hang on in there, nearly there xx

Highlighted

Hi Kim  so sorry to read you are feeling like this. Hope the redness eases. Keep close eye though. I'm a bit of a worrier too and it must be natural to feel these worries after going through any cancer treatment.  It's hard with the waiting I know. Think I have got to have bone scan too at some point. I would react the same as you so you're not alone. I imagine they have to obtain the clearest pictures they can. Try and have a good weekend. Sue xx

Highlighted

I had my bone scan on Thursday and to be honest have got myself into a bit of a state. I had to have an injection then wait for two hours for the scan. I went in and they said the scan would take 20 mins and then they would ask me some questions. As I was having the scan I thought why ask the questions after the scan? After the 20 mins one of the radiographers asked me questions about if I had had operations, dental work and etc. Then the other radiographer came over and said we are just going to take some more images of your hip and ribs. Well that sent me into a spin of worry that they had seen something. I asked and they said we just need to get a good picture for the consultant. But I am such a worrier and thought they cant tell me anyway. I should get the result next week but its at the back of my mind all the time. I am sure now I have had the dreaded BC there will times like this along the way.  A hip pain, a headache, a cough will always be more of a worry for me now I suppose.

I have finished 15 rads of the whole boob and next week have five booster ones. My boob is red now and I last night having stabbing pains deep inside. They say it keeps on working after treatment so I am hoping this is all normal. I just hope my skin doesnt start doing horrible things.

I have just seen Kylie Minogue in the paper looking fab and think there is life after all this, I hope anyway.

Highlighted

Nice to know there's a Devonshire dumpling out there, I've been here 25 years but probably still an incomer. I do eat a cream tea the Devonshire way but still not yet a local! My boob sore today and worried as skin looking a bit pink around lump and I've not started any treatment yet! Will keep an eye on it and hope no infection - seems a bit late 2 weeks post 2nd op - maybe I'll go and try a cucumber!! Happy Saturday xx
Highlighted

Lesley, glad the sweats were a bit better whether it was the tonic water or not, doesn't matter. At least it helped.  I had my bra on for work yest  evening and boy was I glad to whip it off as it makes boob feel sore after 6 and half hours.

Hope you get to enjoy the long weekend without too much discomfort. Take care. Sue

Highlighted

Had to laugh at your post! Yes it looks like we are all living in different directions but chatting on here brings us all a bit nearer each other.  I will have my rads in Cambridge about hour away. Might do the train and bus or could drive if need be. 

Hope you you all have a lovely bank hols weekend.  X

Highlighted

Morning all, hope you all managed a good night.  I tried a glass of tonic water before bed last night (as suggested by someone on the hormone thread) and don't know if it was psychological but sweats didn't seem as bad, however, boob was painful during the night, maybe due to wearing a bra for a few hours yesterday while out shopping and still only slept in fits and starts.

Kate, you must be near the finishing line now I think?  Haven't heard anything from Kim lately, hope she's doing ok.

Yes Janey, to be able to see would be great, I hate to think how much money I've wasted on bras since my op trying to find ones that didn't rub scars etc.  Now I'm on cheapie sports bras  from primarnie in a bigger size with the removeable padded cup out, though only just back in one for short periods.

Highlighted

I meant Devonshire dumpling....clumsy thumbs and smart phones...not a good combination....
Highlighted

Good morning all....how is everyone today? So a long weekend, plenty of time for.picking more cucumbers and working on the cucumber relieving hammock bra invention.
Had bra off most of yesterday and slapping on lots of aloe and underarm scar is not as angry and red this morning. Skin is slightly more tender due to rads so more of the no bra and aloe for now!
A laid back day with a friend visiting with her little baby so that will be nice and nice to have a long weekend to maybe forget what's going on for now.
My treatments at Barts...we are a spread out bunch.Janey, I'm originally a Decomshore dumpling, born in Exeter moved here at 15.
Have a great Saturday
Kate x

Oops sew not see! X
Highlighted

Lesley, that does sound like progress and I hope today better too. How many days are you now past the finish? Sue there must be a hammock business opportunity somewhere, if only I could see!! I think we are a spread out bunch. I'm in Devon and will have treatment (whenever/whatever it finally looks like!) in Exeter xx
Highlighted

Glad you managed to get a bra on,i hope it's not too painfull.Sue mine will be at Newcastle Freeman hospital if it's not allowed I think it will be removed.

Highlighted

Sue, the only reason I got a large one was because my nipple was so swollen and painful, even a loose cotton shirt on it was painful.  Reading through previous threads I can't see anyone else mentioning same problem.  It's still swollen but peeling now and not half as sensitive but wouldn't be able to bear anything that wasn't really loose.  Just take it one day at a time, I was able to wear a normal size bra (albeit sports bra because of scar rubbing) right until last rad session, then had to go braless until today xx

Highlighted

Lesley I bet it was bliss being able to put the bra on after all the soreness. Good to hear it's starting to clear a bit. Maybe I should get some larger bras then ready for rads. I go without at home at mo as more comfy. I'm rather big busted! Is it best to go up few cup sizes then? Blimey I'll need a hammock!!

kary, Jane and heather, thank you for your comments too. I agree that chatting on here with each other is like we've known each other for ages.  Are we allowed to put on here where we're having our rads done or is that a no no????  Just in case someone else going to same place. 

Enjoy the the good weather if you can.  

Sue x

Highlighted

Progress, today I was able to wear a bra for the first time since finishing rads on 16th,  okay, it was a large sports bra, and I'm tiny (size 8), but still well chuffed.  Boob still looks yucky but feels so much better - apart from the burning on the scar under my arm (due to not creaming that area) hardly any soreness or itching left.  Inside, just slightly achey and the odd twinge.  If I could get a good nights sleep I'd be absolutely fine.

Hope everyone is coping well xx

Highlighted

Oh sorry, I see now that you've got them, great news! x
Highlighted

Good luck for results Sue, thinking of you. x
Highlighted

Yes it's good to get on with it, good luck with yours, hope you hear when they will be soon. Always the waiting! x
Highlighted

Sue, you're not the only one posting in different threads! I thought of you all as I picked another 20 cucumbers this afternoon!! Kate, get your son on cucumber relish duty! Still not on the tablets Lesley but yesterday and today have been right royal flushes and I think the weather must be aggravating my ordinary symptoms. I hope you are starting to break the cycle of sleep deprivation. Cucumber madness - which bit shall we post under so that Sue and I remember?! I'm so glad you have a plan now Sue; and Kim, I'm keeping fingers crossed for you and your scan. It's so strange how it feels as if we all know each other in such a short time. I'm clinging on to the positives of this!! Xx
Highlighted

Great news for you sue,im made up for you...my plannings the 8 th ,I had a bubble as I think I'm gonna be mid rads when my daughter has her baby,but hey it's getting done tho ...

Highlighted

Thanks Lesley, will ask. Need to write things down more to remember as still in doolally mode!!! 

Highlighted

Oops have got myself confused . Com and put this last post in wrong place. Just ignore me ladies, having a moment!!!!

Highlighted

Sounds a brilliant idea Jane! Wonder if you can make beauty products out of them. Cucumber scrubs, etc. hubby came home with two more!!!  

Highlighted

.Sue, forgot to say, when you get dates for planning for your rads ask about transport.  That's when I asked.  I also had an hours travelling each way.  That's when I found out my district laid on transport for everyone.  It was a brilliant service, door to door.  Also apart from 3 days I traveled with the same 2 people, we became friends, and like on here supported each other and it made such a difference.  I bumped into one of my travelling companions in town with his wife last Saturday and it was like meeting an old friend again after many years though in fact it was only just over a week since I'd seen him xx

Highlighted

Great news Sue, so relieved for you xx. Welcome to the Anastrozole club.  Have a good cry if that's what you feel like, I often feel like a good sob but don't as it usually brings on a migraine and I really do not want one of those on top of everything else.  Had a couple of dark choc truffles a friend got me for my birthday the other night and got a migraine, shame as chocolate is not usually a trigger.

lovely to hear from you Kate.  Conjured up lovely picture if you sitting by the fan with your arm up, ha.  I still can't wear a bra as nipple still sore and swollen, though so much better than it was.

looks like Sue and Janey will be joining the September ladies, to stay in touch maybe we could start a new thread and call it Cucumber Madness just for general chitchat?

Keep cool ladies xx

Highlighted

Thank you for that. It's a hurdle over and now for next one. Work is pretty good but I'm reluctant to go off in case I need any time off for rads. I work out of the norm hours so maybe I'll be able to fit rads and then work. If not able to will take time out.

i don't think we always realise just how strong our emotions can be. 

Have a a good afternoon x

Highlighted

Sue that's good news....your emotions have been pent up so it's natural that you feel like crying. When i heard mine, I left, looked at the hubby who was holding his emotions in, I laughed and cried at the same time. It's still so much to take in.

Speak to your employers about the treatment, you are covered by the Disability Act and I believe it's your perogative to take time off if you prefer, though check if your finances will be affected. We all have different situations.

Take this bit of in-between time to BREATH and take in a bit of normaility!

So pleased you can move ahead and your plan has a plan!

Enjoy the day xx

Highlighted

Good afternoon everyone.

Phew what a hot uncomfortable night that was. I ended up back on the sofa at 4am, back door open and fan on full....blehhhh....hot sweats and menopausal symptoms plus hot weather arrrr!! 

Sue good luck today, I hope you get the outcome you hope for....everything's crossed.

Heather how was the 2nd session...better than yesterday hopefully. I had the same problem and had to come back 2 hours later so went for a little stroll.

Kim how is the redness? I hope it's easing up. I saw the nurse yesterday and she was pleased with everything. She did say if there is a lot of soreness they can give a cream called Zotraban (?) which is used for burns cases, though this would be at the end of treatment as it contains silver and can interact badly with rads. Maybe useful to know and maybe ask about it.

Hi Tarneh, we all seem to be doing the night shifts! I think it is as you say heat/menopause....though I'm yet to start the Tamoxifen but warned it brings it all on. Add everything your body's going through.

My underarm scar seems redder as well, maybe where it is makes it harder to heal....my boob scar is bigger yet healing much better....I have warned the household I may sit in frontt of the fan with no bra on with my arm up and slather on the aloe gel! It's awkward as well as all my bras seem to sit accross the scar. Anyway it may work in my favour as everyone will scarper and I get sme peace and quiet....and the remote control!!

Lesley great tip about creaming area, thanks, I'm going to make sure I go beyond the areas I thought were needed. Hope the sweats have settled today....yesterday was a particularly muggy sticky one.

I seem to be a sweaty Betty at the best of times....I have a shower, get dressed but by the time I arrive for the rads am all sweaty. Have started taking a damp flannel with me to slosh before going in for the treatment. Am sure the staff have seen (and smelt) it all before but it's embarassing 😞

Kim I hope the bone scan went well, I think having the time to worry doesn't help and the anxiety just builds up....hopefully you got through it alright and the staff were good to you. Like Lesley I found mine much clamer and comfy in comparison...the pillow was lovely and cool!

Janey that's great news about your friend....so funny about more cucumbers! Haha....I'll ask no.1 son if he would like to extend his culinary skills!

Tae care all and have a good day 

Kate xx

Highlighted

Lesley, that's the med I'm going on apparently. Anastrazole

Highlighted

Thank you all for your lovely words of encouragement. Good news. Margins clear and sentinel node clear. Radiotherapy for three weeks once sorted and tablet for five years but not tamoxifen as I'm clot risk. Oh and I think she said bone density scan. Felt relieved but why do I feel as though I need a good cry but can't??? I know I haven't slept we'll for a good while but is it just the built up emotions waiting to escape!! Will have hour trip for rads each way but that's ok. How do folk manage with working and rads??

glad that bit is over.   

Lesley, glad you got your cream sorted. Can't be very comfortable. 

Hugs and a huge thank you to everyone . Thanks for being there. Just wanted to say that. See I'm an emotional so and so.     Sue x

Highlighted

Just realised its the 25th today, good luck Sue xx

Highlighted

Good morning ladies,

well done Heather getting the first one out of the way, before you know it you'll be halfway through then finished.  Tarneh, on 6th so you're well on your way!

Kim, good luck with the bone scan, I enjoyed mine, it was bliss after rads, a soft couch, a squidgy pillow, no frightening zapping noises and over in a few minutes.

It seems we are all suffering from hot sweating sleepless nights!  Janey, he will appreciate you on the cold winter nights, his own personal in bed radiator.  Since starting Anastrozole as well as the sweaty nights I have periods of intense "hotness" during the day, but yesterday afternoon to my horror i started getting hot sweats, it just poured down from my head, ran down my back and chest, each episode went in for about 5-7 minutes. They continued all afternoon and evening.  This happened when I last tried to come off hrt about 4 years ago in the end I had to go back on it.  I came off hrt this time 2 weeks after my op, I was hoping that in that time I'd finally come through the menopause.  Really hoping that yesterday afternoon was a one off as last night I actually slept for 3.5 hours before the sweats started, then after a couple of hours they stopped and I got another couple if hours sleep.  Been ok so far this morning.

Well, as usual I've rambled on.  Sending big hugs to those having rads today.  Would be really interested to hear from those of you who have finished to compare healing notes xx

Highlighted

Hi Tameh and Sue I hope you get lots of answers today. Kim, I hope your scan goes well today. I am going to have to try and set the screen duller at night time, so I can join you night owls and not disturb my other half too much more - poor man in a 4 tog duvet with fan blowing, lying next to a radiator! Xx
Highlighted

Sue good luck today xxxx

Highlighted

Good luck sue,i hope all goes well today for you x

Highlighted

Hi Tarneh - nice to meet a fellow oncotype 20, did your oncologist say a definite no to chemo with that score. Mine did but I have other medical issues. 

I wonder if the tamoxifen hot flushes are worse when having radiotherapy because of the whole heating up process. I don't look forward to going to bed now I am sort of resigned to a hot and bothered night. I have the fan going full blast. Last night I was laying with radiated boob covered I aloe vera gel and the fan on it. I did think to myself oh my goodness what is my life like now? 

I am off for a bone scan this morning because of my achey hip, scared about them scan and results. After the scan going for rad 14/20 my boob is pink and sore now . I did ask the radiologist if mine was bad at this stage but they didn't commit and just came out with a standard spiel and I was none then wiser. 

Highlighted

Hi tarneh, you awake still too! You've been through a lot but well done on getting through some of your rads. I haven't had mine yet. Got clinic tomor for results after op. Fingers crossed. It's awful when you can't sleep for one reason or another. I end up on I pad usually as not got a good book and can't concentrate anyway! 

I hope you manage to get some rest. Catch up tomor. 

Sue x.       

Highlighted

That sounds similar to me, my oncotype score was 20 so no chemo. Initially told 19mm area so had wle, not enough margins as was actually 70mm, so mastectomy on 5th July. Had my 6th radio today, seems ok, scar looks like it's getting redder but that could be in my head! Can't sleep, heat/tamoxifen/menopause who knows!
Highlighted

Hi Jane, have you seen the news headlines???? The country is being overrun by cucumbers!!!! Lol.  Hope everyone has managed to enjoy the lovely weather. We got the paddling pool out for little granddaughter today and ended up in it with her. Bliss!  Had some fun and took my mind off appt tomor. 

Live learnt through you lovely ladies tips for when I have rads. Thank you. Well, hoping only for nice news tomor. Will post sometime to give update. Sleep well folks.

sue x

Highlighted

Hi heather, you must be so relieved to get that first rad session over with. Well done! Not sure when mine will be.all the best with them though.

sue x

Highlighted

Just had my first rad today, half an hour late as machine broke down earlier in the day, but no matter. It was very straight forward. 1 down 14 to go!  

Hope everyone is doing ok and coping with the hot weather, 33 here today!

Highlighted

Evening all. I hope your days have been kind. I had a blue start but it's got better; with the news my friend's recall gave her an all clear and a surprise visit from a friend (bearing ... Yep you've guessed it cucumbers!). I had October's Good Housekeeping through the post too and there is a huge spread about BC and both of us found it helpful. Lesley the total creaming is now in my notes to self book. Xx
Highlighted

Kim, when I started creaming I only did my boob and near surrounding area, it wasn't until Near the end I realised what a big area was being affected, yes up to collarbone, under arm and down the side.  Start creaming there too.  My scar under my arm is quite burnt, I wish I had realised beforehand and creamed up earlier, so start now.  You've got the finishing line in sight, soon be all done xx

Highlighted

Oh Kim thank you for letting me know. Hopefully I will get the same indicator xx
Highlighted

Janey I had the oncotype test done and it came back low intermeadiate oncotype 20, I was advised not to have chemo. My lump was 14mm grade 3 IDC  no nodes. Xxx

Highlighted

Cucumber ladies, brilliant! Kim I hope the redness improves and Lesley how are you today, having traumatised your nurse?! I had several Nanna naps yesterday (including nodding and dribbling!). I think I'm going to stick with plan to have acupuncture once I start (finally!) the tablets. A much better day for me yesterday. My friend's recall resulted in her being given an all clear; and I'm hoping Oncotype will be offered to me still. Sue I hope you're sleeping ok waiting on tomorrow. Kate is no 1 son available for hire? xx