Did you mean: 

Aug 2016 Rads anyone?

240 REPLIES 240
Highlighted

Re: Aug 2016 Rads anyone?

Glad your feeling chilled Janey.
Highlighted

Hi all. Back from a blissful but blustery trip in the camper and it's left me feeling chilled, which is a nice change from overheating! Thanks Kate. How long are you now post finish? Kary I've decided that must be the big boob gown - mine has poppers too!! Hope you're all doing well. I think it's time for the October thread. Hugs to all xx
Highlighted

My gown is rather fetching too Janey,the first one they gave me giant boob burst out the side of the Velcro!This one has press studs!,Im shocked to hear about your BC nurse being crap,i have been very lucky I can't fault the team iv had looking after me,just hope the new rads team are as good.Its so good to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel too Lesley glad you are feeling much better,happy Sunday.

Highlighted

Hi Kate, hang on in there, it does get better I promise.  All healed on outside now, just skin feels a bit rough, twinges and aches inside much better and generally feeling more 'up'

Did manage to get through in the end but again, my BCN was busy but spoke to one of her colleagues who answered my question.  She also asked how I was doing and was lovely.  I told her I was seeing the oncologist in Monday for follow up after rads, she said she would try and be there at my appointment, which considering I'm not "one of hers" is really good of her, wish I'd been assigned to her not my one.  To be frank, at the only meeting I had with her, after just being told the news she took me and my husband into a room and started firing details of the surgery, recovery etc at a hundred miles an hour in a chirpy way while we were both still in a state of shock - she seemed to be really excited that the date of my op,  8 June was her daughters 4th birthday and she was planning a lovely party for her! 

Don't expect  a response from Janey, she's away at the moment and wasn't sure of Internet connection.

enjoy your Sunday xx

Highlighted

I meant great news....sorry clumsy thumbs over here.....
Highlighted

Hi all
Janey great jews you're on the move! Hope it all goes well. Lesley good things are improving, I think we have had similar BC nurse issues, I only saw mine at diagnosis and spoken once on the phone...silence ever since! I just figure they're busy but it gets fristrating. Though this place is great foe support.
Soreness has improved, some days very red and others all calm so guess it's still doing its magic! Still on a bit of a go slow, the energy levels haven't come up yet...I keep thinking I'll have a dynamic day and end up doing not much at all! Just a bit de motivated and as someone else here said 'flat'
Still it's Friday and soon be another week.
Have a good weekend everyone x
Highlighted

My gown is very fetching! They gave it to me as I left, trying not to take it personally as it was after I'd had to do the strip of shame!! Xx
Highlighted

Lesley, can't believe your bc nurse hasn't got back to you! I've always left a message and they've got back to me. Hope you ok. X

Highlighted

Hi Janey, yes, I saw your dates had already been set and you've had your tattoos done after I posted on a different post.  Much be such a relief to ve finally on the move as it were.  Husband is on the mend thankfully.  Been tryin to get through to my Breast Care Nurse all morning with no luck.  I've only seen/spoken to her once and that was the day I got my diagnoses.  Will keep on trying, phone constantly engaged, so frustrating!  

Read you've been given a gown to wear for your rads, I didn't, used to have to strip in corner of room then walk over the the machine naked from the waist up, lucky I passed the shyness stage years ago lol xx

Highlighted

Thanks Lesley. Can't quite believe it! I had my planning appointment today and start on the 3rd. I have my Anastrazole here and am going to take the 1st one tonight (gulp!). How are you today and your husband? Xx
Highlighted

Fantastic, at last Janey after a long long wait you're finally on the way!  Hope you get your planning date through soon.  I got a phone call giving me my planning appointment a few days after my results, hope you do too.  With regard to starting the Anastrozole, I know from reading posts on here lots of people wait until they've either finished rads or near the end before starting.  I started 3.5 weeks before (same time as coming off hrt).  Guess only you can make the decision. Xx

Highlighted

Finally a plan! My Oncotype came back as 17, so I'm starting 3 weeks rads and one week boosters on 3 October. Armed now with anastrozole and not sure when to take the first one ... so I guess I'll be on the October thread shortly! You are all such inspirations xx
Highlighted

Thank you lovely Lesley. I was wondering if you were back. So sorry you haven't had such a calm return and hope your husband and you recover well. Will be in touch later but sending hugs xx
Highlighted

Hi all,

Well, came back Sunday from a two and a half week break in lovely Wales staying with my sister.  Felt so much better after lots of good healthy food (sister a really good cook), lots of long walks on beautiful beach literally five minutes walk from her house.  Unfortunately my husband was ill while I was away and admitted to hospital.  He was discharged on Sunday evening but still poorly, so what with the worry about him and a visit to the ENT department today and finding out that I've got have an op on my sinuses I'm not feeling as chipper.

Boob almost back to normal four weeks after finishing rads, just slightly achey, slightly darker and a bit bigger (not sure if that's permanent or will go back to normal?)  and the skin is rough.  I see the oncologist on Monday.  Still getting hot sweats in the night, thank goodness for chillow and cooling pads.

i hope everyone else is recovering well, and Janey, got everything crossed for a good result for you tomorrow xx

Highlighted

It's so frustrating for you having to wait and wait, you will feel so much better when you are into the next stage. They say radiotherapy should be eight weeks from opp, then it's wait wait wait, mine was two and a half months later.  Hope you get there soon.  Well done to those who like me have finished and I agree it's a bit weird how the tiredness and soreness gets worse.  I'm going to Majorca on 1st Oct for a week, so hope it's not too bad by then. Hope you all sleep well, I'm lucky I don't get the hot flushes, just aches and pains.xx

Highlighted

Thank you all so much for your support. Brought a smile to read your messages, especially the thought of virtual G&T and that cuddle helped!. Feeling a bit pathetic to have been so side swiped, when I'd expected them to cancel anyway. Hey ho tomorrow another day etc! Big hugs back xx
Highlighted

Oh in so sorry jayney,its the waiting and not knowing,sending love x

Highlighted

Janey, I am so sorry, you really keep getting a rough deal, so flipping unfair.  This thing is so awful and having all tthe  extra stuff you've had to deal with on top, one thing after another.  I feel for you.  Wish I could give you a big cuddle and pour you a large G&T xx

Highlighted

Thanks Sue. I think we must surely be nearing a plan!!! Xx
Highlighted

Sorry to hear your appt cancelled. So hard when you gear yourself up for something. Still waiting for my plan meeting. Seems like forever. No bone scan yet either. Hang in there girl! Xx

Highlighted

I need those support bras. My appointment has been cancelled and now next Weds. It's floored me to be honest and a rare blubbery morning. I think more in frustration than distress. Sorry, just need to vent ...
Highlighted

Morning all. I hope all of you slept well last night. It's wet and cold here and that makes me feel quite happy, although my heat monster has asked very nicely if we can put the 4 tog duvet away again. Kate I'm glad you're now done and hope boob starts to recover. I'm already anxious about returning to work and I haven't started treatment yet - although I guess that may be displacement anxiety about tomorrow's results. Lesley, you are so right, it feels like an age to have waited. I'm feeling very twitchy today and didn't sleep well. We've talked over what choice I will make depending on Oncotype score and think we have a plan. I will do whatever it takes to shift this intruder but hoping will be rads only and to start in October. Mind you I'm convinced results won't be back and tomorrow will be put back a day or so. I wish I could work out how to add photos on here. A friend of mine sent me a brilliant card of two cartoon bras with speech bubbles saying "you can do it", etc and the title Support Bras, which made me smile - one for the big bra thread Kary perhaps?! Xx
Highlighted

Good morning, yes Kate, it does get worse before it gets better.  The burning comes out and I got very sore after, also very tired.  The good thing is though you haven't got to go everyday to be fried and can rest when you need to.  Enjoy the nice weather, look after yourself and try to forget about work for now.  I'm feeling so much better 3 and a bit weeks on, a bit better each day.  Hope you do manage to get a break away, makes a big difference.

Hope everyone has a good day xx

Highlighted

Hi Lesley
Oh Wales sounds lovely....am looking up a short break by the sea soon with my husband or anyone who's free!!
Yes, all done...feels great and strange at the same time....though life's felt pretty weird since all this began.
So now rest and hopefully heal, though they did say it can get worse before it gets better. Underarm and nipple are still sore and there are a couple of smaller areas that looked burnt. Keep on putting on the aloe and airing at every opportunity. I've turned into a flasher haha....
Felt a bit faint and dizzy on the way home so have just taken the afternoon easy on the sofa again!!
Am starting to stress at the thought of going back to work and due to have a formal sickness meeting soon. I just don't feel like the same person and definitely not got the energy for running around like I did. Hey ho....another hurdle to get through...along with the tamoxifen. Think I will give myself a week and see how my body feels before starting it!
To echo Lesley, I hope everyone's doing alright, getting rest and sleep when you can.
Tomorrow's gonna be a scorcher so plan to take things slowly and be kind to yourselves.
Night
Kate xx
Highlighted

Hello everyone,

Still away in Wales staying with my sister, going home sometime over the weekend.  Will miss the beautiful beach, feel the sea is healing, but will be glad to get home to the husband, missing him like crazy.  Put on weight (needed it) but hope I don't put on too much more, can't afford a new wardrobe.

Well Kate, youve done it, wonderful feeling isn't it?  Hope the nipple doesent give you too much trouble, I'm over 3 weeks post rads and mine is still slightly swollen and sensitive, peeled about 3 times.  Rest of boob is is now fine on the outside, just feels a bit rough and looks very slightly darker than the other one.  Still getting twinges inside and the odd sharp pain but few and far between.  Feeling ok in myself except tired because of lack of sleep due to flushes/sweats, also now getting pains in left hand and both arms, not sure if they're caused by Anastrozole, will ask at oncology appointment on 26th.

Kim, hope you're doing ok.  Janey, not long now until you find out what's what I hope, it seems ages to me so goodness knows what's it's like for you.  Sue I think you get your dates soon?  Heather hope aches and pains are not too bad and you're ok Kary.  Xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone, a late post just to see how you all are.
Janey hope the next 3 sleeps up to seeing the Oncologist are comfortable amd you get some news on what's next.
Tomorrow's my last radiotherapy treatment, 4th booster/19th day. It's come around so quickly and it'll feel strangely weird not to be travelling there every morning.
Am still quite pink amd nipple is sore so bunging on the aloe and bra free at home! Hopefully start to feel some relief and regain some normailty again! I've had a pretty constant headache...not sure if I'm keeping hydrated but glugging water.
I hope everyone has a good week.
Kate x
Highlighted

Did anyone sleep better last night with a cooler night? It's beautiful here today and I've planted up bulbs and hoping all this will be over - bar the worry - when they come out. BT put us offline for a couple of days - so I've had withdrawal symptoms from the forum! 3 more sleeps and then will hopefully know what's next in the plan. Hugs to all xx
Highlighted

Kim,im struggling with sleep too I think I could cope better if I could sleep,flushes are aufull too.Yes Janey ,planning app cancelled as scanner was broken will be going nxt week they will ring me Monday,oncolgist meeting still went ahead,slight lymphoedema in breast but happy to go ahead ,so rads will have started before end of the month.happy Sunday ladies😁

Highlighted

What is this magical age of sore boobs, cooling pads and chillows?! I hope today has been a lot better for all and the night's even more so. Venlafaxine can have unpleasant side effects for some people, so I hope a solution soon found. I'm longing for Autumn to come in properly. When the nights are cooler so am I. Kary how did you get on with planning today? Xx
Highlighted

I am 51 too ! 

Highlighted

Hi everyone. I am 5 days post radiotherapy and at the moment the boob is doing ok, a doctor I spoke to says the affects peak at 2 weeks post last of rads so I am not counting my chickens quite yet. My problem at the moment is the hot flushes and not sleeping because of them. I went to the dr yesterday and was given some Venlafaxine which I took yesterday and felt so ill last night and couldnt sleep at all, I have felt rubbish today too so am not taking anymore of it. So I will just have to cope with these wretched flushes. xxx

Highlighted

I know what you mean about the aching and doing too much Lesley, I don't get the hot flushes but lots of aching at night, hope you feel better today. x

Highlighted

Hi all,

just checked in in to see how you're all doing.  Nothing from Kim, hope she's doing ok now finished her booster week.

I'm enjoying my break away but really overdid it yesterday, first sunny day since I arrived so set off on the train to Tenby.  Was a very long day and ended up walking miles.  Aching back, hips etc today and of course the usual sweaty restless night (thanks Anastrozole).

Take care all xx

Highlighted

Morning katkit & Kary

Thanks so much for replying with all the info it's brilliant 😍

Got planning appointment on 7th October so I shall go armed with my list!!

Shall be posting again soon to find out how your all getting on & for more advice as this forum is invaluable I'm so glad I found it 😃

Good luck & lots of love to you all ❤️
Highlighted

Hi Kary
Sorry to hear you're struggling with the Tamoxifen....not looking forward to it. Think I'll try some of the chillows, thanks for the link. I got a small handheld fan already, helps on the busy trip in to the hospital in the heat.
Hopefully the cooler evenings will soon come and help with the sleeping.
Night all x
Highlighted

Hi Terri Anne,i bought the chillows which are the cold pillows from e bay from Hong Kong £2.79 bargain.The cool pads are on Amazon and e bay I got a pack of three for £9.99,they can go in the freezer or can be heated up,they are smallish about the size of a small tablet,you could put in hot/cold pads.I hope things go well with the tamoxifen Kate,im struggling with it almost a month in,chillows and fan,i also managed to get a little portable fan hand held thing,at the till at m&s,handy for outings,my sun took me for a meal yesterday and out came the Portuguese gift shop fan,did the job though,good luck everyone x

Highlighted

Hi Terri
I've been using the Aloe Vera and it's on the recommended list given at Barts, it's the Dr.Organic from Holland and Barrett.
These are the others on the list which may be of interest to you and others:
E45
Derma Care Light Daily Moisturising Lotion
Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion
Simple Hydrating Light Moisturiser
Oilatum Cream
Cetreben Cream
Weleda Baby Calendula Body Lotion

If your skin gets sore or cracked speak to the nurses and they can give you Aquaform.

I hope that helps....you have bit of time to have a think before you start and see what others think of it. Maybe ask at your hospital about the Aloe just to put your mind at ease.

I have found it has helped sooth my skin and soaks in really well, isn't sticky or tacky....I just need to make sure I put it on regularly! Also as I used it before I knew it wouldn't cause me any problems.

Am starting the Tamoxifen in a couple of weeks so will be getting more Aloe for then. I got a cool pillow from Maplins.....seems good and keeps me cool....am dreading the sweats as am already a sweaty betty!

Have a good evening
Kate xx

Highlighted

Hi all

Just popped on from June thread & starting radiotherapy in October.

Kary you mentioned cool pads? Can you give me any information on these please as not heard of them & are they any good?

Also I see a lot of you talk about aloe Vera but that's not on my list..... the only thing I've been recommended to use is E45! But I do use aloe Vera for my very itchy skin & prickly heat from tax. Do you all recommend this?

Any replies greatly appreciated 😀

Thanks Terri xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone
Hope you're all doing as well as can be. Just a quick hello on my way for the 1st booster and a catch up with the dr so hoping all is going alright.
Have been a bit more sore this week and tired as well so it's been a few days of low activity here....gotta keep the arm up to get air to the armpit. Nipple is very sore as well...they gave me some foam pads which really help and aquaform gel but I had to push for it....cufbacks I guess!
Anyways hope everyone is doing alright.
Oh on the age thing, I'm 49....50 at the end of the year...just in time for my mid life crisis, or is this already it haha!
Take care
Kate xx
Highlighted

So glad your planning going ahead Kary and congratulations on being the magical age too! All this waiting around is doing wonders for the garden as I try and distract myself from thinking about Oncotype results and trying to decide what number will be my cut off point if I end up in the grey area, as I think I will have to say straight away what to do. Lesley I hope that sea air is working some magic and all of you are doing well. Xx
Highlighted

Hi all my cooling pads came today got two of them in the freezer thank you for the recommendation ladies.planning going ahead on Thursday ,and I'm 51 too.

Highlighted

Hi Lesley. You deserve to be thoroughly spoiled and beach walks sound idyllic, but don't push yourself too hard if not feeling brilliant. X
Highlighted

Thanks Lesley,

it's a shame you're not feeling 100% but having the break will help I'm sure. The walks by the sea sounds ts good therapy in itself. Enjoy being looked after and the quality time. 

Sorry for for typo errors.  Have a good week all. P.s. Think starting Anastrazole on 8th.

sue x

Highlighted

Hi all,

Just Wanted to to say a quick hello. So glad things looking good Janey, fingers crossed for you.  With you on the pretty underwired bra again Heather, getting sick of going either braless or too big sports bras. Hopefully not long now till you get your dates Sue.  Kim, you must be finished your boosters now, really hope you did something nice to celebrate and poor boob is not too bad.  Kate, getting close to the finishing line.

Im being thoroughly spoiled by my sister.  Haven't felt that well since arriving here but have managed to get 2 5 mile walks on the beach in so far.  Wish I could say I was sleeping better but alas no, still suffering from the dreaded hot sweats/flushes all night, still, I'm hoping that after a few more days of walking by the sea and lots of good food and relaxation I will start to feel better and hopefully even get a good nights sleep, it's certainly much cooler here.

enjoy what's left of the weekend all xx

Highlighted

Sorry Kary not Cary! X
Highlighted

Selfies
Highlighted

Great idea boob species why didn't I think of that ,lol.

Highlighted

Hi Cary. I hope you are all cleared up in time. I'm just about done with two lots of medication and almost clear. Can't believe I've resorted to boob selfies to monitor infection spread!! Actually I can't believe I've just typed that! I think we are a mix of ages. I'm 51 and bizarrely the same age as two old flat mates were when they were diagnosed. There must have been something in the water! The storm is about to hit in Devon, so battening down the hatches! Happy Saturday xx
Highlighted

I hope you get the result you want Janey,and glad you have slept better.I don't think it matters how old you are heather its great to get support and advice from others who are going through or about to go through the same thing.I hope you get your date soon sue.Im still not sleeping I'm sure it's the tamoxifen I hope it styles down soon,im feeling better so antibiotics are working but still very hot and swollen will find out Monday if planning app still goes ahead,happy Saturday ladies x

Highlighted

Thank you. I slept better last night than I have for ages. I shall certainly be well prepared by you lovely people when it's my turn! Have great weekends and Sue I hope you get your date through soon xx