1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2014

7 REPLIES 7

Re: August 2014

I wore my wig for the first time yesterday.
The wig is much swankier than my hair, I felt odd, but I did look good.
It's still a bit itchy mind you.
To be honest no hair seems the least of it, and if I look too good,I don't think I can respectfully ask for a seat on the bus!

Hi,

I've decided against the cold cap, mostly becasue of the fear of an odd cell hiding in a small capillary in my scalp! Probably a completely irrational fear, but peace of mind is hard to get at the moment so I'll do whatever it takes. A session with Headstrong has been booked so I can hopefully learn how to do fancy things with scarves 🙂

I've been reading some of the other threads and have picked up some tips - drinking lots of water the day before, during and after, any other tips will be gratefully received.

Macky

Hello CounsellorSue

Welcome to the forums, I’m so pleased that you are finding the forums helpful.

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I'm due to start first cycle of FEC-T on Aug 4th, will have 3 or 4 then change to Docetaxel, radiotherapy possibly to follow. I've cut my shoulder length hair very short and went up to Brixton Market on Saturday to buy a couple of very reasonably priced human hair wigs. I am probably not going to go down the cold cap route - the wigs look pretty good so I have decided not to fight that particular battle, and save my strength for the other challenges. This forum is very useful for helpful tips, and also to help me feel not so alone. I'm surrounded by family and friends, but still it is, in my experience, an isolating thing to go through.

I used the cold cap. My hair thinned after 1st treatment. I had it cut short so it wouldn't look so thin. I just felt not losing my hair was just one less thing to deal with. Although you don't lose your hair it's condition isn't as usual. Even though I didn't lose hair when it started to re grow it was curly and thicker than it ever was before. Good luck. Give it a try.

Hi Macky
I started Fec-t on 4th July and wasn't going to bother with cold cap but the nurses at chemo unit were very encouraging so I gave it a go. It isn't too bad but does make the treatment last a lot longer as you have to keep it on for 2 hrs after chemo has finished and the strap under my chin made me feel a bit nauseous. However I'm on day 16 now and still have all my hair and plan to use it again on Friday if I still have my hair then. Good luck with your first session

Hi Macky, I'm just coming up for my year anniversary. I had 6 cycles of fec-t starting in September last year. I'd didn't do the cold cap, I chopped and changed my mind right up to the day of chemo but after learning what a faff it is as you have to have cap on an hour before and after treatment, can't wash your hair too often use straighteners etc plus I was scared a nasty cell could hide out in my scalp I decided against it. The majority of my hair fell out about 2 weeks after the first treatment, and then slowly but surely eventually completely fell out 😞
I can't deny it, I found it really hard to cope with the loss of my hair but hey it grows back 🙂
Today I coloured my new hair for the first time and have already had 2 trims.

I'm sure you'll have some more people (sadly) join you soon.
Good luck xx

August 2014

Hi,

I'm due to start treatment at the very end of July, so thought I might be better starting an August thread rather than joining one which is a few weeks underway.

I'll be having 3 x EC and 3 x Tax ( I think ) 

I'm in 2 minds about the scalp cooling - what are the experiences of others?

Macky