Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2016 Starters

julieg2106

Re: August 2016 Starters

Hi Vintage

Bless you and thank you..

when I went to the hospital last Monday the nurse said exactly that to me like being in a car crash.. I didn't realise and why would we really. I had read about the side effects but because we are all so different you just don't know what to expect... 

During the 9 days of torture I found the morphine oral solution really took the edge off the SE for a short while, I could take it with cocodemol if I wanted to but I don't take well to cocodemol.. I took the morphine as and when I really needed it as this causes constipation and from my first chemo session I never want to experience that again...😩 full warm baths for me were bliss and I found great comfort having a few throughout the painful days.. plenty of water and I ate when I felt like it if I was able to.. my daughter bought me a lavender wrap from Amazon which you heated up in the microwave which was also a godsend and sleep, I stayed in my bed until mid afternoon a couple of days which again really helped. I found that the last couple of days gentle walking helped too.

I did take paracetamol on really bad days too but I also made sure I had movicol laxative 3 days prior to chemo and 5 or 6 days afterwards. The morphine was a big help but like I say you can take it every 2 to 4 hours but I took it when I really needed it so not to get bunged up. 💩

For my next session again I will make sure I have movicol and plenty of water few days before chemo and afterwards. I am seeing my oncologist and see what she thinks is best going forward.

Good luck hunny for Monday and I hope SE are minimum... Hugs to you Xxxxx

Vintage

Gosh , Julie,
You have had a really tough time of it. How awful. My oncologist said some describe it as being hit by a bus , but it will only last a week!! Easy for her to say.
I was also told if my se were really bad I could be put on a weekly dose.
I am having mine on Monday first thing with herseption. I am to be in the chemo unit for 6 hours incase of a reaction. Lunch is on them 😊.
Are they puting anything in place for your next one to ease the reactions? Do you have any advice on how to get through this?
Sending you lots of hugs and sympathy
Vx 🌻🌼🌻
julieg2106

Hi lovelies

Hope everyone holding up well, goodness we are all a brave strong bunch..

Well I had my first T on 13th October, I can honestly say I have never experienced so much pain and upset.. first couple of days not too bad but by the Sunday I was in so much pain I couldn't even walk, I was having to crawl along everywhere or literally be helped and supported.  By the Monday I could take no more I was literally in and out of conciousness and I was taken to hospital were they monitored me and eventually placed me on morphine and more to take home. On the FEC I found after 4 or 5 days I was back to my old self but this time it has been 9 days of torture.  I and my family were so scared, I didn't think it was going to end.. so many low points and many tears..

The aches and pains, numb sore feet and hands, itchy skin, sore mouth feeling spaced out and terrible taste in my mouth, I now know I got off very lightly with the FEC. I understand we all react differently but I was not truly prepared at all but I will be for the 3rd November. 

I still have most of the above but no where near as severe thank goodness and very manageable now.

I want to send hugs and love to us all who are having to endure this and yes we are very strong and brave.

Xxxxx

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi
If your blood counts are that low- it might be an idea, when talking to your bc nurse - to ask for a blood transfusion to help it come back up?
Hugs
Sue xx
Vintage

Hi Blueash
Sorry can't help, but do call your bc nurse and I am sure they will be able to put your mind at rest.
Let us know how you get on.
Hugs V xx
blueash
Community Champion

I am in a bit of a panic! As you know they stopped my chemo because of low blood counts, well I went for my Herceptin today and my blood counts are too low for that! They are giving me a week off to see if the improve.

Should I be worried?

Vintage

Hi Tracey fizz
Just wondering how you are after T and H?
Hope all is well
V x
blueash
Community Champion

Thanks for letting me know Flopsy - when I was having the chemo I obviously had more to worry about! Forgot to mention that my eyes don't stop watering too.

Flopsy

Hi Blueash,

I am now 8 weeks after my last FEC-T and the water retention is only just starting to go.

Like yourself I am so swollen I can't wear rings. I tried this morning though and was nearly there! My stomach and lega are also beginning to shrink and I've lost 2ks.

blueash
Community Champion

Today would have been my chemo day but they have cancelled it as I said before. Anyway now I am able to focus on other things my water retention is driving me insane. My legs are really swollen, so are my fingers and I cannot wear rings. My face is all puffy and I weigh 80 kilos - I have never weighed that! I know it is all related to the drugs and the swelling and water is mostly the steroids but does anyone know how long it all takes to dissappear now that I am not taking anything? I did ask my consultant for a diuretic but he said to leave me drug free and let my body sort itself out.

Vintage

Hi Blueash
I suppose you must feel a sort of relief number 4 is not going ahead after the way you have been feeling recently. Was it 4 you were initially going to have?
I hAve had x3 fec so far at a reduced dose and will be starting the T next round with herceptin. x3. If all goes to plan.
Funny how our chemos are all so different from Types and how regular we have it. But I have been told it could all change and that it happens all the time.
Keep intouch and let us all know how you are doing, even if it is for a good rant.
Vxxx
blueash
Community Champion

Well that is me finished with the chemo! I saw the Consultant this morning and due to my blood counts and neuropathy he is not prescribing any more chemo for me. I have had 3 lots of high dose docetaxel and carboplatin. I am to continue with the Herceptin and he has brought the radiotherapy forward so I am just waiting for a planning appointment for that.

traceyfizz

Hi august ladies after being in hospital for a couple of days with an infection last cycle i seem to have been reletively ok this one just very lathargic , i did have anti biotics after my steroids stopped so i think that really helped. So after a delayed fec i am now starting on the T part on weds and herceptin thursday , to say im dreading it is an understatement . Hope everyone doesnt have too many problems x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Lowie,

FEC can cause problems with the bladder, so the symptoms you have been describing are in line with that. I t happened to me, too. Despite all, keep on drinking a lot during the day, so your kidneys and urinary tract can recover. It should get better over time and you should get back to normal after a while.

T chemotherapy is Docetaxel (Taxotere) and here is a link to some more information on it. You can download it onto your computer or laptop as a .pdf to read - https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/docetaxel-taxotere-bcc35

May I suggest you start taking antihistamines, unless already prescribed, such as the generic Cetirizine - easily available in Tesco, Boots or other supermarkets. It may help with some of the side effects. It may also be an idea to have some paracetomol on stand by in case you get bone pain.

Good luck

Hugs

Sue xxx

Vintage

Hey See See
All the best for today 😨 😆
Half way through .
Vxx
See See

Hi Vintage,

My FEC 3 today and I feel just like you about it.

Vintage

Hi Lowie
And big welcome to the August starters. 🙋
Sorry to hear you have had to have your fec part stopped. How many did you get? And have they now decided to start you on the T part?
I had my 3rd fec on Mo day there. I have not had problems with my bladder but through advice on this forum, I have drunk at least 2 pints of water the day before and 2 days after chemo to flush the toxins out my bladder/ kidneys. So I do run to the loo more during that time but no infection as yet😆
I had my fec delayed for my second dose. I also had it reduced by 15% for second and third because my white blood cells took a bit longer to recover.
I also will be starting on the T part for my next round, so it feels like starting all over with what to expect side effects wise.

Please keep posting, it's a good place to find out information / support / laughs from others going through the same.

Hugs V xx
Lowie

Hello ladies,
I'm New to the forum, so apologies if I don't get it quite right.
I'm on my third dose of t- not sure what it stands for. I was allergic to two rounds of fec so they had to stop giving me it. My bladder has been going crazy ever since- I'm up in the night at least three times, and that's not normal for me! Does anyone else have the same problem? I'm not experiencing any pain, just an absolute need for the loo!
Vintage

http://www.simplywigs.co.uk/catalogue/hair-pieces/filter/headband-hairpieces/index.html

See if this link works better.
If not --
Search under hair pieces then headband hair pieces.

Vintage

Hi All
Just wanted to share with you my new comfie wear around the house and bed wig. The hair is attached to a fabric hair band, I got it through the post today and am happy to use as an alternative to my scarves.
I have a slightly more glam wig for out and about, which is not so comfortable. But I do like to have alternatives to suit my mood.

http://www.simplywigs.co.uk/catalogue/hair-pieces/filter/headband-hairpieces/index.html7

I ordered the
Hot Stuff B Gisela Mayer -
You are entitled to the vat off option as well. Just like post surgery/masectomy bras are vat free.

Hope my link works. If not just copy paste it
into Google.
Vx
Vintage

Hi Benno449
Fec 3 tomorrow. Not too worried as you say I know what to expect. First week will be in bed with nausea. Then ok Realy apart from tiredness. I am Dreading the T 😵 but on the up side, time is passing much quicker than I thought.
Hope your doing ok
Hugs V xx
Benno449

Benno449

Hi vintage

I'm having to do 2 more fec and then it's 4 t ...I've not looked at what the side effects are as its like not knowing the Unknown again just in my second bout of fec not as bad as my first all I do is sleep 😴💤💤

Keep smiling 💞💞
blueash
Community Champion

Thanks everyone - nobody can fix it, I just have to suffer. However they may not give me anymore chemo after this lot. I have pins and needles which they are concerned about and now this so the are talking about a reduced dose, longer in between or stopping and bringing the rads forward plus continuing with Herceptin. I am supposed to keep a diary detailing how I am feeling and they will use that in my assessment.

See See

Hi Blueash,

Sorry you're feeling so bad. For my second cycle I have spent almost a week in bed compared to 2 mornings on the first lot. I'm lucky to have someone to feed me small meals. Like others the  dox is cycles 4-6 for me, so still got another FEC to come. 

Hope you start to feel better soon.

hugs Cathy

Flopsy

Sorry to hear Blueash! How very weak you are.

I was all through my chemo (FEC and T).

Are you able to eat? I know it is hard when you are probably too weak to cook properly.

I've been picking up a little since the nausea and vomiting lessened. I'm finally eating normal meals and the added extra protein in them I think is making me stronger. It's the meat that is helping. Sorry to offend if you are a vegetarian.

julieg2106

Bless you Blueash. .. I agree with vintage contact your care team for some support. Lots of hugs and love to you xx
Vintage

Hey Blueash
Sorry to hear you are feeling floored right now. If I was you I would let my care team know if you are finding it worse than usual. They may be able to advise. Or put your mind at rest.

I have my 3rd fec next Monday if my bloods are ok.
I have not experienced the docetaxel as yet. That will be chemo 4 to 6 for me. Not looking forward to the unknown again.

Thinking of you 🌼🌷🌻
Hugs Vxx
blueash
Community Champion

Well I am feeling in need of some support girls. I feel absolutely dreadful, I had my 3rd chemo of docetaxel and carboplatin last Friday and am feeling so weak. I suspect it is due to a low haemoglobin count on my last blood test. Not low enough to stop the chemo going ahead but enough they they remarked upon it. I think I just have to ride it out but I do feel rough!

julieg2106

Thank you Ruth.. I was getting a little worried as walking crossed legged is a nightmare lol.. yes we drink so much water... but so needed.

Thank you for your help ❤
julieg2106

Thank you Sue for all your valuable advice and support as always... had my last Fec start on the T on 13th October so hopefully this will improve. ❤
Alex2016

Ruth, your post made me laugh. And how true lol.
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Julie,

Yep, I agree with Sue. My bladder was a lot more sensitive during chemo. I often felt on the verge of cystitis although it didn't actually develop into that thankfully. And drinking so much fluid obviously doesn't help, although it does help if you see what I mean. That's another not widely reported side effect of chemo - talking about your bathroom habits with strangers on the Internet. Smiley Happy

Ruth 

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi julieg2106,

This can happen due the the E in the FEC, as it can affect our urinary tract and bladder. As we have to drink so much, it makes it even more challenging and I certainly sympathise with you.

The only thing I can recomment is to get the relevant pads from a supermarket, they will help you feel more comfortable, in case you do have an 'accident'. But unfortunately, you should continue with your fluid intake.

I had to get up about two times per night - and got used to it. Having the pads also helped me to feel better during the day. Symptoms should hopefully improve, over time, once you are off FEC.

Hugs

Sue x

julieg2106

Hi everyone

I hope we are all doing well and hugs to you all. 

I have a sensitive question.. I have just had my 3rd fec on Thursday and I am seriously noticing a weakness in my bladder, I have to go in the middle of the night a few times if I don't I know I will have an accident.. if I need to go I have to get to a toilet quickly... is this normal during chemo? Is there anything I can do to help myself?has anyone else had this change?

Love to you all xxx

blueash
Community Champion

I have reached the half way point but my oncologist may be reducing or stopping my treatment due to pins and needles in my hands and feet. However I am also on Herceptin and you can continue with that as long as you have had at least 2 rounds of chemo so he tells me - and I have. He will reassess me before my next dose.

julieg2106

Thank you vintage.. I hope you are doing well and the SE are kind to you also. I eat so much when on the steroids. .. then lose the weight just before chemo lol and put it back on again but to be honest I eat whatever I fancy a little of what you fancy is allowed with what we all going through. Xxx
Vintage

Hi Julieg2016
Hope the side effects are kind for your half way number 3. 🍭!!!!
V x

Vintage

Thanks Sue and See see,
Good to know I am not the only one all over the place.😆
julieg2106

3rd fec yesterday.... wooop woop halfway there!

Little sickness here and there and hardly slept last night but managed a couple of naps on the sofa to catch up a little today. 

I rang about my hand and arm hurting and they told me to let them know on Thursday which I did, they said that this was normal but as I didn't have any swelling they will look for another vein. All seemed ok but still painful to the touch. Let's see how I get on...

I start my injections on Monday to Friday and I must admit like you Blueash they make me feel awful bone and muscle ache and flu like symptoms for a couple of days.  To help I take painkillers the day before.. I found it helped me a lot on session 2.

Hope you are all doing OK. .. love and hugs xx

Vintage

Hi Blueash
Is that you now hit the halfway mark? Hope you are ok this round.
I find the steroids don't give me much energy but have now realised why I had a very greedy few days. Could not put the Roses box down. Ha ha
Hugs Vx
blueash
Community Champion

Just back home after chemo number 3. Feeling OK and expect to be fine until about Monday or Tuesday when the steroids wear off - then I get several days of fatigue which no amount of staying bed or being lazy helps. I have just resigned myself to it now. I start the injections on Sunday every day for a week.

Sue C
Community Champion

Oh me too!! Always have a little cry in the second week when no one's looking lol!

Sending hugs

Sue x

See See

Hi vintage,
I felt exactly the same on day 11 of first cycle. I got really angry and argumentative so poor hubby got it with both barrels. Today is day 10 of cycle 2. Perhaps he will take cover tomorrow 😘😳
Vintage

Hi Blueash
Interesting what you say . I will be having fec-t and H I have had the fec reduced already by a small amount for 2nd and 3rd chemo. ( due to white blood cell recovery not good ) Then back to full dose to try the new t and h part. I think there is a good chance of the second part being reduced as well. But I will keep you posted.

On day 11 of 2nd chemo. My mood the last 3 days has been rock bottom, tried all sorts to break out of it. Panic and tears. Mind way ahead of its self, thinking every bad senario possible. But feeling much lighter today😂 ahh . Not sure what triggered it. But blaming the chemo. Sun is out, poor hubby is loaded with the cold so trying to dodge him.
Getting myself out for a good walk today with maybe a stop for some tea and cake 👿
Vx
Vintage

Hi ladies,

I don't normally buy magazine's, but October's edition of Good Housekeeping caught my eye today.
There is a very good article on Survivors Guide to Breast Cancer worth reading. 4 woman's experiences through treatment. And info on future treatments.

Vx
blueash
Community Champion

I saw the consultant today and mentioned my slight pins and needles and he said he wants me to have next chemo which is number 3 but he will reassess the situation after that. Meaning he might lower the dose, give me longer in between or stop altogether.

I am also on Herceptin and am wondering if they are more willing to lessen the chemo because of that. I know that Hazel's was stopped and I have asked Flopsy if she has finished early, she had bad side effects - they are also on Herceptin.  It makes me wonder if they are more willing to stop chemo early if you are on Herceptin because they are not "abandoning" you. Is it my imagination or do they not stop you so easily if you are not on Herceptin? Is they why they change your drugs because most of you have been on 3 of something then 3 of something else. Mine was going to be be the same for all 6 cycles.

Benno449

Hi flopsey just must back from oncologist chemo tomorrow at 11, mine is 4cm and I've got to do 4 fec and 4t Then after all this , it's surgery and plan is lumpectomy, all geared up for week of tiredness lack of sleep and hopefully less sickiness ....and my story will hopefully be as lovely as yours 💞💞💞
Flopsy

Hi Benno,

I'm one of the Chemo success stories in that my tumour shrank. Had horrdendous side effects though all through Chemo and was largely bed/housebound. 

The tumour at over 3cm but after 3 x FEC and 2 X T it had shrunk to less than 1cm and was not able to be seen using ultrasound.

Because the tumour has shrunk we can stick to Plan A now which is a lumpectomy. 

Benno449

I had a SNB few weeks back and I was told they found traces in one node so having that  taken out I beleive when they do the lumpectomy . 

Im gearing myself up for the 2nd bout now I know what to expect , was sick first night but that passed its the lack of sleep that gets to me and  nasty sore throat. ..

hairs pratically all all gone now , had a little tear but ok now , love my wig and scarves but ultimately ...💗💗💗

Hugs xx