338792posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Radiotherapy 2017

Re: August Radiotherapy 2017

Hi Basia
I'm coming to the end of rads & practiced deep breath hold too as mine is left sided. It's not difficult & I was told the machine won't give a dose unless you're breath holding enough. Once I was all set up with measurements they placed a small black box on my chest which measured the depth of breath hold. Don't worry, its just to protect your heart from getting a dose. Good luck 😀xx

Hi Basia,

Mine was left sided too! I had a Ct scan at my planning and I was told I would be called back if I need breath holding practice. All was obviously ok and my chest wall must have been far enough away from my heart as I have just come home after number 12!

My friend has to breath hold though and is coping well!

Good Luck xx
Community Champion

Hi Basia

breath-holding is apparently normal for bc on the left side to protect the heart and (apparently) not too difficult. My cancer was left side so I expected to have to do it but it seems they don't do that technique at my centre so can't speak from experience.  I'd have liked the oppotunity to protect my heart. Smiley Happy but hopefully they knew what they were doing. Good luck with the rads - worst part for me was the sheer tedium of flogging up to the hospital every day. Drink LOADS of water all the time by the way. You'll pee like a horse, but it really does help with it all for some reason. And a little walk in the fresh air daily too. I had a theory that it was good to get loads of oxygen into my cells (no idea where i get these ideas from....) so was puffing up hills to oxygenate my lungs and what with that and all the water I didn't feel especially fatigued. Good luck with it all. xxxx

Morning everyone

Well that's session 8 of 15 done. I'm over halfway through treatment. Yippee!!

Had a review with the rad team this morning and they're very pleased with how it is going. Skin is in excellent condition apparently. Using Aveeno cream so that obviously works.

Keep out of the rain and have a good day.

Liz xx

Had my planning meeting yesterday, CAT scan and tattoos.  I'm having 20 sessions, the last few are boosters.  I have to practice holding my breath because it's my left boob and I need to keep my heart out of the way.  Has anyone else been told to do this?

I start on the 16th August and finish on the 13th September so will be looking into this thread to see how all of us are getting on x

Highlighted

Thanks for this thread. I start on mon 14 August, that's the day we return from holiday. I'm not impatient to get started- I want my scars to heal as well as possible and I wasn't cancelling the much needed holiday.
As they had to take the areola/nipple away, I have a grisotti flap - I have a scar which looks like a dressmaking dart, which leads up from bra band under arm up to a new circle of skin/tissue which can eventually be tattooed.
I have a homeopathic remedy to take after each treatment to help with side effects.
I am still feeling fatigued after the surgery ( mid June).
Community Champion

Annie

Wow on a Saturday so do you get any days off, normally its Mon-Fri with weekends off?

I had 15 to whole breast and then 5 boosters to the tumour site.  They really do keep an eye on you and if you have any concerns they will advise you so just keep talking to them, my team were amazing especially when I had a meltdown one day xxx

Community Champion

Thank you, Helena, for starting this thread for us. I'm all measured and tattooed and have the first of 20 sessions on Saturday 12 August. 15 to breast and sub clavicle, then 5 just to the breast. The sub clavicle was a bit of a surprise as it was never mentioned before, but if that's what's advised I'll go with it. My consultant warned me about itchy skin, and a hard and a heavy  breast! O joy😱. The plus side of course is that they are used to all the side effects, and my consultant assured me they will all be managed. Isn't the NHS just wonderful? A big hello to all my rads buddies. Onwards and upwards, ladies. 🍀 X

Community Champion

maggie

Hi and welcome, you will certainly get loads of support and help on here.  Few tips make sure you moisturise the breast regularly 2/3 times a day, take in plenty of fluid as this help staive of the potential dehydration from the rads which can cause fatigue and listen to your body it will let you know when it needs rest, especially with the travelling to/from the hospital every day.

How many sessions are you having?

xx

starting on august 7th, look forward to hearing how everyone gets on!  Best wishes, as ever ..

Community Champion

Eggster

With you on that one, I hated my life being controlled by that one apt every day I was relieved when it was over xx

Thanks! I will do a little dance when I hear them!  Its just really hard to plan anything when you dont know how you are going to be feeling at any point in time.

I thought it was bad enough when I realised one of the days was a bank holiday! 

Community Champion

Eggster

I have checked and I have already got you on there Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Zeded

Your rads team will be keeping a close eye on how you are reacting to the treatment, however if you are concerned about anything just mention it to them and they will be able to advise/reassure you.

Helena xx

Community Champion

Eggster

Oh I so know what you mean.  I had my op Oct, saw oncologist end November and then didnt start rads until 20 December, it was the longest 3 weeks, I assumed I would start the week after so was very disappointed.  Mine was over Xmas and new year so was extended by virtually a week, but once you get into it the time does go, and especially when you hit that halfway one.  You will soon be there mate.

Remind me how many are you having so I can make a note to ring the bells for you?

Have a lovely Sunday

Helena xxx

I am seeing my surgeon on 7th August when, hopefully, I will be referred to the Oncologist who will get radiotherapy planned, so will be starting in August.  Fingers crossed the SLNB are negative so I don't have to undergo more surgery, which will delay Oncologist referral.  

Like you eggster I just want to get it over with.  I want (and need) to get back to work asap and my employer won't let me start a phased return until the biopsy results are known.  I am very bored!

Thanks Helena for starting this thread.

BW

Alison

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now

Started radiotherapy on Wednesday 26.7.17.   I've had 3 treatments so far, now Sunday so 2 days off, and wasn't expecting to feel any effects until much later into the total of 20 treatments but my boob already feels slightly itchy on occasion and I noticed yesterday when moisturising that there seems to be a spot that feels like it has hardened. I'm 62 and had a right side WLE 10 weeks ago to remove an invasive 1.9 cm lump.  Boobs are on the small side.  Started taking anastrazole 5 weeks ago.   Just hoping things settle down and the boob doesn't react badly to the radiotherapy.

Thanks ladybowler! My first session is 9th August,  getting bored of the waiting and just want to get it over and done with! 

Community Champion

August Radiotherapy 2017

Ladies

Just starting a new thread for those of you commencing rads in August and the ladies who are completing it then who will be able to give you support.

Helena xx