Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avastin funding running out

5 REPLIES 5
superpen

Re: Avastin funding running out

Hi Gerry,
Wanted to know what is happening with you.
I have now had Taxol/Avastin and Zometa since end of May 2008.
Since the beginning of this year it was reduced from every week to all 3 once a month and the Avastin every 2 weeks.
My scans have been clear so far this year. Am about to have another one at the end of this month.
Because I only have the Taxol once a month, I only feel bad for a couple of days . Otherwise my quality of life has been pretty good.
My onc says she feels that I should stay on it as long as it is helping me. I am on the Roche clinical trial, which means that I have no trouble in obtaining it.
Penny

suzi

Hi Gerry,

Was wondering why your funding was running out for Avastin. I am currently awaiting a response from my local health board as have special requested Avastin as previous chemo not worked. I have been told by oncolgist that slim chance of recieving funding so think I will be same as you and have to fight for it. Feel that already going through enough without all this but if there is a chance of it working will definately fight. Think you should definately push for more funding if you have seen some response, i don't even know if it will work for me.

Best of luck, stay strong and let us know how you get on.

Suzi x

talktalkgirl

Hi Gerry and Debs,

Only just seen yor messages. I am on Avastin and Taxol and just hope that it's working. I have just had a scan and it seems to be shrinking some of it but there are spots showing up on my lumgs and they are not sure if it is secondaries forming or inflammation.
I just wanted to say to you both not to give up on either treatment. It must be worth it.
I too will help if either one of you needs it.
Take care and I hope that you are both well and positive.
xxx

Gerry69

Thanks for your post Debs. I guess I know Avastin wont work forever but as it appears to be working (ie actually improving things rather the just keeping me stable)I want to keep going! I can understand you wanting a break from chemo - lets hope the avastin keeps things at bay or you. Thanks for offering to help.

Gerry

debsincornwall

Hi Gerry,
missed your posts and wondered how you were. I am sure you remember I got avastin on nhs after kicking up a fuss and threatening to take court action.
I have just had 15 more taxol and feel like I can't do any more, had a scan on Friday and onc came in with results he had only had a brief look but was confident no new growth and as I am only buying time now, if there is no quality I don't need it. He said he will carry on with pamidronate and avastin. I see him a week on Tuesday so will ask off the record about maintenance avastin. I will let you know and if you are up for it you can fight to have it funded. I will help all I can.
Sorry it is my dozy day today so I am going back to sllep.
Love Debsxxx

Gerry69

Avastin funding running out

Haven't posted on here for a while (really couldnt handle the format) but having suferd for a while am now ready to post. My avastin funding expires at the end of the month - avastin and hormonals appear to still be working as my last scan had shown further improvment. Do i fight for NHS funding - sure it wouldnt come through - though if i ived in Wales I would get it... I certainly cant pay! Guess I just want some reassurance that about non avastin treatment,,,,