Awaiting BRCA 2 results. Please help.

My Mum has tested positive for the faulty BRCA 2 gene after being diagnosed with breast cancer in both breasts (she’s 54). Once her chemo is finished she will have a double mastectomy as well as her ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed.

I’m sure I want to know if I have the same faulty gene and had the test yesterday. My bravery is fading fast though. I’m terrified I have the same mutation. I’m only 29 and haven’t settled down or had any children. Has anyone else faced this? I feel selfish for worrying about me when my Mum is going through this. Should I never consider having children if I have the gene? Is it selfish? Do I have risk reducing surgery? There’s alot to think about and the thought of never settling down and/or having kids because of this is awful. The genetic counsellor has been great but I’d love to hear from someone who has been through this.

Hi yaya,

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s recent diagnosis and the worry you now have about what this means for you. Try not to panic and remember there is no rush to do anything ie testing or surgery etc I have a brca1mutation. I’d already had my daughter so I’m not sure how I would have felt about having a baby, had I known but you must not feel that this is out of reach. I think it’d best to take it one step at a time. There’s lots of resources and support. You could also ring the BCC Helpline and see whether their someone like me service might be able to put you in touch with someone who has had a similar experience. Let me know if I can be of any help. Rattles, xxx

hi yaya,

First of all I’m so sorry to hear about your mum, I know how hard it is to watch someone so poorly. I know exactly how you feel, my story so far is that I was diagnosed last october aged 31, I have since had a mx, chemo and herceptin for a year.

I had my brca test done nearly 4 weeks ago. My onc suggested it was unlikely I had the brca gene as I dont have a really strong family history. However, when I saw the genetic dr she suggested that there was a reasonable chance I might have it. I took it all fine at the time but as time goes on the impact of the results seem to dawn on me more and more. I havent had any children yet, I would like to in the future but  I feel like my life is on hold until the results are back. 

Although having said that, having been through everything i have in the past few months i have learnt to deal with everything as come. we have to deal with things as they come and not waste valuable time and energy on the what ifs -so much easier said than done I know. You are not being selfish at all, this is such an enormous thing that impacts on everything in your life as well as coping with looking after your mum. Please know you are not alone and there are people put there that know exactly how you are feeling.

take care

x

I found out my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last December between Christmas and new year. About 2 months ago, we found out she has the faulty Brca 2 gene. Myself and my 2 sisters are starting to go through the testing to see if we have it too.
Im 23 years old and haven’t really thought about starting a family yet. There are so many things going round in my head, un answered questions and lots of what if’s.
Its been very difficult to see what mum is going through especially from so far away (she lives in France).
It would be great to hear from someone who has gone through this