Awaiting surgery

Hi,
Following a routine 3-yearly mammogram I was recalled to have the triple assessment on 20th December. I was given the results and a copy of the core biopsy Path report on December 27th. I have an invasive ductal cancer (grade 3) in my right breast, measuring 10mm. with no obvious signs of vascular or perineural invasion. The ultrasound showed no obvious abnormalities in the lymph nodes. I am negative for both hormone receptors, but HER2 positive.
I am scheduled for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on Friday, and have been told I will be having chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy, plus Herceptin. I’ve also be warned that the initial findings regarding vascular invasion and lymph node involvement could be amended after the surgery. As with everyone else, if the margins and/or lymph nodes aren’t clear, I will need further surgery.
These last 2 weeks or so have been a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but helped by the fact hubby and I went away for a week 2 days after my diagnosis. The change of environment helped enormously, despite atrocious weather! My family has been wonderful, supportive, and just brilliant. Also, I have found that reading up about my particular diagnosis and likely treatments, and talking about it freely with family and friends has kept me sane. In fact I think my friends must be getting fed up of me by now

I found this forum and liked the idea of chatting to ladies at the same stage of this journey! Great to be able to compare notes on how we are all feeling. It can only help us.

xx

Hi Lola65,

I’m glad that you’re finding these forums helpful, if there’s anything you need to ask there’s always someone around to support you.

I don’t know if you’ve already joined, but you might find our general Live Chat session on Thursdays helpful. I’ve put the link below where there’s more information.

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Lola65,
Your’re diagnosis sounds very similar to mine. I was diagnosed March last year with 9mm IDC Her2+ and er and pr+, snb was clear. Have done 4 rounds EC and 4 rounds TAX with Herceptin starting same time as TAX, finished chemo in August last year, had 19 rads starting in October and it was all totally doable and I managed to work all through too. I’m sure someone will be starting a February thread soon. Main thing I would say is if you feel tired rest and don,t push yourself too hard. I too had a short holiday and it really helped lots.
Wishing you all the best on your journey

Love KQ