Awaiting test results

For the last few months i have been having pain in my left breast, the GP that i visited a few months ago said it was hormonal and to take evening primrose oil.  I am 42 years old and took their advice but the pain didn’t go away and with my mum having breast cancer when she was 48, and like my mum it started with pain.  My mum was also sent away by the doctor and told its nothing to worry about.  So here i am feeling like history is repeating itself.

I went to the breast clinic today after being reffered by my GP (finally), after insisting somehing isn’t right and last month a hard lump appeared.  Having had the examination, a mammogram and an ultra sound the radiographer said that there was a mass of shaddows, so when i asked if they were sinister, he replied they are more likely to be cancer- well as you can imagaine i nearly passed out!  They took 6 biopsy, 3 from my armpit and the rest from the lump in the breast.  I then went to the consultant who asked me what did the radiographer say, I would like to know is that normal to be asked that question by the consultant??

Now i have to wait next week for the results, obviously my mind is in overdrive, I feel very stressful, emotional my chest keeps tighenting which i am hoping is being casused by stress and not anything else.

How do others cope in this situation, that would be useful to know.

Thank you for listening, the next 7 days is going to be an anixious time.

Julie

Hi Jeffries and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you have this worry, our helpliners are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call and talk your concerns over

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Jefferies

So sorry you are having such a rough time, bad treatment by your GP also ! I would suggest that the pains in your chest are stress related I suffered panic attackes before my diagnosis so was aware they could increase after but in actual fact they have improved as once faced with a cancer dx I think things get put into perspective :slight_smile: Once you have your results back and no what you are facing it will I promise get easier, you sort of go into survival mode, I wish you good luck with your results and should you need it treatment

L x