68.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axilla Clearance - how long for arm to feel normal?

4 REPLIES 4
delly

Re: Axilla Clearance - how long for arm to feel normal?

Hi Powdow and Mary,

Sorry girls, I didn't mean to scare you or get you down. I had none of the aforementioned probs with my 2nd mastectomy. Loss of feeling/numbness returned within a year. I consider my first unfortunate but, when you think that you have a whole bundle of nerves under your arm, easy to cause slight damage in the lymph node removal process. Also, it was 10 yrs ago now - things have improved surgically and with the advent of SNB testing, there's less need to carry out complete clearance, therefore less likelihood of nerve damage. Our bodies are amazing at mending themselves, skin healing. Nerves are that much more delicate.

The massage sounds a really good idea Powdow, I'm a firm believer in.

Lotsa love Delly xxx

maryminder

Hi, I had my MX and axilla clearance on the 1st Sept and everything is improving apart from the weird sensation in my upper arm, surgeon said it may improve in time but could be permanant (i hope not), I have found wearing long sleeves with a slightly snug fit (not tight) a help as the material is not constantly brushing over it and gives the arm some support. Will try the gentle massage as well, hope things continue to improve for you, Hugs and Best Wishes Mary 

Powdow

Delly,

How awful to lose the feeling in some of your digits! I take it that happened immediately and feeling didn't come back?
3 years also is a long time! I'm hoping someone else can come along and tell me theirs was back in weeks/months. Its starting to get me down and it's only early days.
delly

Hi Powdow,

It took 3 years for my arm nerves to settle from my first mast + node clearance. I was left with a permanent loss of sensation in my thumb and two forefingers. It doesn't hamper everyday activities, but it did prevent me returning to my profession as a Podiatrist, in that I was no longer safe to use sharp scalpels/instruments due to loss of sensitivity. Doesn't mean it'll be the same for you.

Delly xxx 

Powdow

Axilla Clearance - how long for arm to feel normal?

Hi I had mx Diep recon and axilla clearance around 12 days ago.
Just wondered how long it takes for the weird sensations in arm to get better? I'm but expecting it just now, but was hoping it doesn't take months or stay like this? I read that some folk always have some numbness, but it's the weird sensitivity that gets me. I have been told to gently stroke the arm (with or without cream) to retrain rhe nerves to get used to touch, and it does help for a bit but really hate this feeling. Everything else feels fine, just the arm, also feels very tender under the arm.