Babies after cancer

Hi,

Just wondered if there is any info anywhere on the subject of having a baby after BC? I am really worried about having another but i really really want one!!!

Im really worried that if i have babies after hormone treatment that its going to come back and its not going to be fair on my family etc. I need statistics lol!!! I would also like to know how many people do have babies and it doesnt come back and they lead a normal life?

Thanks,

Emily xxx

Hi I too have posted on her to find out about having another baby. I have asked my consultant and so amny people…I can not seem to get an answer. I had reconstruction using fat and tissue from my stomach. So have a huge scar hip to hip. I want to know if it is possible to have a pregnancy in that situation…someone must have had a baby after this surely!!! If I do find an answer I shall let you know :slight_smile:

thanks, and i will you also x

My daughter (then 35) had a 2nd baby, 2 years after extensive chemo and rads for an aggressive triple neg. breast cancer - but she did not have surgery because after treatment the tumour, which was small but deep, had shrunk to the point where the surgeon was unhappy re locating it. She had hormone injections to protect her ovaries during treatment and actually conceived very quickly after her treatment finished.

She’s subsequently had a 2nd cancer ( mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo and rads) on her other breast but is now 2 years NED and very well . There’ll be no more babies as she’s now on Tamoxifen and is due to have her ovaries removed in in the near future.
Don’t know if this helps you at all.

I have posted this on behalf of new user Hannah.

Regards Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi

I don’t think I realised how lucky I was to have my little boy (now 3 years old) so easily. I just assumed I’d be able to have more children. When I was diagnosed with BC at 8 weeks pregnant with my second child, I was told I wouldn’t be able to continue with the pregnancy as the tumour was so aggressive and hormone sensitive that I would probably die before the end of the pregnancy and the baby would probably die in any case. It was the worst day of my life and I’ve been counting down the days ever since to when I might be able to have another baby.

Almost 2 years on and I’m still counting the days but the time is going more quickly and I really do appreciate how lucky I am even just having my one, wonderful, little boy - and also to be alive myself, obviously (!). I was 30 when diagnosed and my surgeon reckoned there was a 50:50 chance of me having more children after treatment. He said this was based on the fact that of 20 younger women he has treated for breast cancer, 10 have gone on to have children. Who knows. Ultimately we all know that we’re probably not going to be as fertile as we would have been before but my oncologist is adamant that if you leave it 2 years after the end of your radiotherapy, getting pregnant should not increase your chances of the cancer coming back and 50:50 is definitely better than nothing. I’m certainly going to be giving it a try when I finish my Zoladex!

Also, one of my friends told me that her cousin, who has had breast cancer, has gone on to have 2 children.
There’s definitely hope for the rest of us!

H
x

At last hope! I started chemo last week, we’ve been trying for a baby using IVF for teh last year and a half so obviously am keen to try again once the cancer has ben treated. I haven’t been given any information about Zoladex by my medics. Can anyone tell me anymore about it and its use for protecting the ovaries during treatment? thanks so much Lisa

Hi I have recently had a lumpectomy and am meeting the consultant for the results a week monday. I am not sure if I need chemo or not but the breast nurses have mentioned freezing eggs. I am 38 and am undecided whether it is for me as I don’t really want to delay getting treatment. I was wondering if anyone has gone down the same route and if so how long did it take?
many thanks

There is an active thread somewhere where someone has posted re a new pregnancy post bc.It is fairly recent so a search should find it.If I can I will bump it for you.
Valx

Hi Lisa,

There’s a factsheet on Zoladex at breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/lp_zoladex__jan_08_0.pdf

This gives the facts much better than I could.

My oncologist said that there haven’t been many clinical studies to date looking at whether Zoladex protects fertility during chemo but that lots of people think it may help and (as I’ve been so worried about not being able to have more children), anything which might help even a little bit would be worth a try. The side effects are not a whole world of fun (lots and lots of hot flushes etc) but probably not too different to tamoxifen I guess (some people have tamoxifen and zoladex so would probably be better able to comment). I keep telling myself that it’s not forever and that it will be worth it in the end

Hope chemo is going okay

H
x

Hi All

I have posted this on behalf of new user Hannah.

Regards

Louise
Facilitator

There’s a factsheet on Zoladex at breastcancercare.org.uk/uplo … n_08_0.pdf

This gives the facts much better than I could.

My oncologist said that there haven’t been many clinical studies to date looking at whether Zoladex protects fertility during chemo but that lots of people think it may help and (as I’ve been so worried about not being able to have more children), anything which might help even a little bit would be worth a try. The side effects are not a whole world of fun (lots and lots of hot flushes etc) but probably not too different to tamoxifen I guess (some people have tamoxifen and zoladex so would probably be better able to comment). I keep telling myself that it’s not forever and that it will be worth it in the end

Hope chemo is going okay

H
x