Back in the Waiting Game

Hi All,

I discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and, though I’ve never posted before, I’ve found some of the posts and the support everyone’s given each other a source of comfort while I played the waiting game.

I found a lump a few weeks ago, saw my gp and was referred to the breast clinic.  I’m 30 so it was expected to be a fibroadenoma, and this was more or less confirmed by an US scan, though I had to have a core biopsy to make sure (my 1st shock as I didn’t see that coming).  The 2nd shock was finding out about another “mass” I had no idea was there.  It looked like a big dark patch with no defined edge.  They tried a FNA on it but nothing came out so I had a couple more biopsies from that area too.  Then the waiting game began.  I hadn’t expected anything more than to be checked over and sent home with the all clear so finding myself bruised, sore and worrying about another strange looking mass hard to deal with.  I try to stay positive but even a small bit of doubt eats away at you eventually.  I just want to know what it is.

I had my results last Wednesday and got good news - A fibroadenoma as expected and a benign mass.  I was handed the discharge note and walked away feeling a huge weight off my shoulders.  Then 2 days later I get a call to say that my case was discussed at a MDT meeting and they weren’t satisfied the sample of the mass was adequate to confirm it is ok, so I need to go back for another biopsy.  And the waiting game begins again.  

Currently waiting for my appointment date and driving myself crazy.  I just want to know!!  The thought of another biopsy isn’t great either, I’m still very sore from the last one 2 weeks on.

Sorry for the essay everyone.  I’ve just been holding it all in for so long and feel I needed to get it off my chest.  Hoping it will help a little.  After being reassured so many times only to have something happen that the Dr didn’t expect I keep thinking it will happen again and I can’t keep the worry at bay.

Thanks for listening :slight_smile: xx

Hi Shelle

Welcome to the BCC forums, I’m sure you will find them to be a great source of support and information.

Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experience do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share any thoughts or questions you may have with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

The unknown is a shock, I went to docs with pain in right, to be told that was nothing but had C in the left, exit after mammogram, scan and biopsy. Went by myself and was in utter shock. Still feeling a bit ‘head in the sand’ even after surgery and waiting for final results. Keep strong xxx

Hi Shelle 

I mean this in the nicest possible way but I am glad to hear you have been feeling sick as I have too and thought it was something else happening. Maybe its all the trauma and pain we are going through. 3 days on and I feel horrible, am in so much pain with it and am fed up and quite down today. Tookndressings off last night, what a mess, suffice to say I wouldn’t get a job as a topless model!! :slight_smile: Take care xxx

Hi Shelle

Just wanted to say well done on your exam.  How did you get on today? Virtual hugs to you.

It’s reassuring to hear other people are feeling sick as well.

You’re so brave for going through the waiting TWICE.  I am a mess and I only have been waiting 5 days so far. XXX

That’s wonderful!

Fantastic news Shelle I hope you get along with the healing process now.
Feeling slightly sick about my results tomorrow but your good news has helped me :slight_smile: congratulations xx