Back to work

Hi there. I got my diagnosis on Thursday and went back to work today. It was OK, we had lots of observations as the local authority made a visit so everyone was on tenterhooks today. My boss has been great, she really seems to understand that this isn’t just a physical journey, its an emotional one as well. I had a really bad day on Friday, just spent the day crying. The weekend was OK. Just spent a lot of it sitting down after a painful experience at the hospital on Friday. I have only told 5 people at work so far and want to keep it to myself for a bit longer. My boss is happy for me to tell people as much or as little as I like. I’m training someone to take over my role when things change so I’m being kept busy which is good.
Sending good wishes and good luck to everyone xx

Hi Sonya,I found it very tough going back to work after I was diagnosed and very hard telling people ,in the end I only told my boss and 2 work colleagues as I didn’t feel comfortable with sharing this with people I didn’t know well and trust .

Welcome Sonya, I told my boss and a few work colleagues who are also good friends, I know the news filtered around which I didn’t mind as we are all quite close knit at work , other than that it was only immediate family and there are many that don’t know still, I just hadn’t felt the need to discuss it with everyone and it’s been lovely to bump in to friends and just chat about normal rubbish knowing that they have no idea! Don’t feel pressured in to telling everyone Xx Jo 

hi, i work in a nursing setting and i must say that i find it  helpful that my collegues are aware,  i am soooo up and down at the moment and i dont have my mastectomy until the 11/5 so am working until a couple of days before . I think i would ponder too much if i wasnt keeping myself busy x Good luck everyone

I worked until the day before my surgery just to keep my brain space occupied which it did it’s a really personal thing.  I only told my manager and my team to start with but when I finished and found out I would be off for a while I did say that i didnt want it broadcasting  but if people asked outright that was fine. I work in health care and most people were just concerned. It’s work well up to now and has filtered out over time. Good luck everyone. X

I work for a small company and told everyone via email. The main reason I did this is because I knew I wasn’t  going to get in to the office as I am a commuter (80 mile round trip, approx 3 hours daily driving) so I didn’t want people jumping to their own conclusions about where I was. I also told other companies that ring me regularly that I was available via email only for a number of months which has allowed me to continue my working relationship with them. Everyone is different and everyone’s work situation is different so Its a very individual choice what to say and to whom.

I finished full time on the Friday 19th Feb, 5 weeks after diagnosis, and had my op on the Monday 22nd. apart from 3 days to recoup after surgery, I’ve worked part time (20-25 hours per week) at home since. As well as financial reasons, it’s kept me sane continuing to work as a bit of normalily remained plus kept me in the loop. 

Hi all,
Well done on finding this site early and gaining such great support, it took me much longer…
As mentioned everyone has different results and treatment plans, in addition to their own unique home environments and associated support strategies.
I would urge you to look at the advice pages here and on the Macmillan site re work, benefits and additional support you may be able to access due to your change in circumstances. Maggies Centres are also fantastic for hand holding, and guiding you thru this quagmire
Good luck with treatments and being where you want to be.
LL , 2 years post diagnosis, 18 months NED x

well had my mastectomy and lymph biopsies yesterday and apart from the pain inbetween meds i feel ok back on the 26th for my results fingers crossed , hope you are ok Bella and are recovering well .