Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to work?

5 REPLIES 5
JenJen

Re: Back to work?

Hi

I work for the NHS too and I understand that being at home is not where you want to be but please dont go back to work unless you are feeling up to it, remember you can have a phased return if you do go back and they can also alter your duties 

I have been off since October last year as I had chemo before my surgery but I had a mastectomy on the 11th of May and I can honestly say even if I had just ha dthat I wouldnt be able to work at the moment unless it was purely sitting at a desk (which woudl be boring) 

dont forget you can dip in and out of work any sickness absence polices are sort of useless for a cancer diagnosis if you want to work then find out you need to come back out then you just come back out 

My mum who also used to work fo rthe NHS said to me when I first went off sick and was worried the place will not fall down without you, they will miss you but they will learn to get by so make sure you get yourself better and then go back and itll be better for them as you will be firing on all cylinders , she was right 

Take care 

Jen x

SAS29

Hi thank you for getting bk to me I havnt got a appointment with the consultant until the 23rd June I honestly don't think I can wait that long 😞 I'm going to talk to work about it and see what they say I can't believe I'm worry about it with everything else that's going on it should be the least of my worries!
Bottyboo

Hi. I'm still off because of complications but I would have gone asap to stop myself over thinking things. Can you do a phased return? Are you back driving already?
I would wait until you've had your results and then see but it's definitely a double edged sword. Sorry I've been no help whatsoever xx
CyclingMad

P.S. I had 4 weeks off after mastectomy and reconstruction (was advised to take 4 - 6 weeks off) - that felt about right to me and helped me feel like life was getting back to normal.

CyclingMad

It varies so much.  I had about 10 days off after my diagnosis, not physically ill but not able to concentrate on anything.  In the end I needed just to try to get some normality back before surgery - sitting at home looking at 4 walls made me feel worse.  But you need to decide for yourself - everyone is different and gets their support from different places / people. xx

SAS29

Back to work?

Hello all, I had a lumpectomy with lymph note removal over a week ago still awaiting histology and have needed second MRI this time of the Liver, I have to also go to see a genetics doctor and the fatality clinic . I was given a sick note for 2 weeks and yes I feel ok I myself pain appers to be ok for the majority of the time and i have been struggling with low mood ect I gather is quite normal, I was just wanting to know how long did you find that you needed of work?? I'm 29 and quite fit and well and work as a community nurse, I just don't want to rush back but at the same time while I at home I'm over thinking things??