Back to work

Back to work

Back to work It’s official - I go back to work on Feb28. I’ll be doing reduced hours, building up to full time and my first full time week is exactly 12 months since my mastectomy.
You ladies have answered nearly all my questions - most without my asking them! And you’ve given me support when I most needed it. Thank you all.
To those just starting out, it’s been a helluva year, but you can get through it.

Heather

work well done heather, i do hope it goes well for you . my friend has gone back to work on reduced hours and her work place are very supportive.
Good luck.
Sharon
:-))

— Good luck — Good luck Heather. Don’t try and do too much too soon and remember you still need a bit of tlc when you get home.

Hope all goes well for you.

Joy x

— All the best Heather, take it easy though when you do go back. Will be thinking of you!

Take every opportunity to rest I went back to work in September and I find that I can cope as long as I don’t use all my reserves of energy. When I do that not only do I get physically tired but I also find that I become very depressed.

Enjoy going back - another step towards getting a normal life back.

Love
Anne
xx

Good for you! Hi Heather,
I’ve been back at work just over a month - on reduced hours, going to be doing my full 4 days come April.
I’m finding the days I’m not there very long…but don’t want to lose the holiday entitlement I built up while on sick leave.
Everyone was really great, assuring me I could go home early if I was really tired, but this didn’t happen. I do find I go to bed at a healthier time though :slight_smile:
Take it easy at first, but you’ll soon feel like you’ve never been away and work doesn’t half take your mind off what you’ve been through in the last year.
Good luck, Lindsay

ME TOO !! Heather I intend to return to work on Feb 28th exactly 12 months since I found my tumour, dreading meeting everyone for the first time but am sure I will get through it. Good Luck

Christine

Heather and Christine Good luck to you both.

I’ve been back at work now since September. People soon get over the embarassment/curiosity stage and are generally trying to be supportive - even if they don’t really know what to say. I personally have found it best to be mattter of fact and open about what has happened and in general this eems to have worked.

With very best wishes

K

For Anne —Interesting to note that there is someone else who also gets depressed when they get very tired. I’ve been like this for approx. 6 months now and wish it would go. I have to try and conserve energy and it doesn’t take much to deplete it. When I am tired I feel almost suicidal and the smallest things make me cry. Anyone else? How long do we endure it for?!
Sue

First day back Good luck Heather and Christine for your first day back at work - if that’s too late hope it went well!

Trish

Heather and Christine Good luck for tomorrow, hope it goes well for you.

Jo xx

Anne and Suebee Me too. Had my op six months ago and went back to work in November. Did half time now doing 28 hours a week although two days are morning and evening.I find by midweek I cannot do anything but sit/lie down until I feel more able again to get up and do stuff. Its really starting to get me down now. I keep thinking should I leave my job or change it. I’ve had cancer twice now and I really feel that my stamina levels are not what they used to be.Do I have to accept that this is how its going to be now and adjust my lifestyle. Feel torn about the job and I guess my pride gets in the way. But I am no use to anyone if I am permanently knackered!!!
Anyone out there with a similar story who can offer some honest advice.
Thanks

Cathxxx

I survived —my first day back. Everyone was really welcoming and I didn’t have much to do today. I’m sure in a few weeks it’ll be like I was never away! Thanks to everyone for their messages of encouragement.

Heather

Work is good I think if you feel well enough this is a good confidence builder, but a good employer makes all the difference.

I got a new job after treatment although I still do 6 hours a week for the employer who paid me for a whole year even tho they didnt really have to!

My new (November) job is great. Some people know what I’ve been up to but to everyone else who comes in I am just as normal as them, which is the best way to feel!

Heather I’m glad you enjoyed your first day back but take care of yourself and dont try and prove anything. I totally agree with what someone (cant see who now!) posted before about getting tired equals getting depressed so protect yourself with some early nights and eat well (I sound like my mother!), it all helps!

I still have some weird days and get in the car and fill up on the way home (tears not petrol) about things which are not everyone elses ‘normal’ and I think we are allowed this time as it helps us deal with everything.

I’ve just reduced my hours by a couple of hours a day so that I can relax a bit more and not get so tired.

Do whatever suits you, not what suits others, and if it doesnt work dont be afraid to change it. We should have learnt by now that we come first, dont forget it!!

And people still do want to employ us after all this - going thru treatment I thought no one would employ me as I would be a liability - not so!

Take care

Steph x