1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be brave and laugh!

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Be brave and laugh!

....so I went for my post op check yesterday, bravely hobbling the mile along the icy canal towpath with my trekking pole that last saw action on Helvellyn. Hood up and head down trying to look anonymous, such is vanity (yeah right, in a bright orange voluminous jacket and green streaked hair). Took me over half an hour, mobility scooters passing me, swans flapping their wings on the path, everyone deciding to take their dogs out for a walk and jumping up....good grief is this a taste of what it's going to be like when I'm like, really old!

He did have lots of twigs sticking out of his hair !! Honestly.... Whatever next?!

Hahahaha! Oh dear, got visions of your dad brushing bits of twig off his trousers and trying to keep dignified.....

LOL with those 2 posts - still grinning Smiley Very Happy

I loved that dad chat lanky !!!
It's great when they remove the drain btw x
My 84 year old dad actually came to look after me post bilateral ( with mum in 70s)- they went home last weekend after a two week stay, it's a long story but it was DEFINATELY time for them to go home when my dad managed to fall off the railway station platform !! Thankfully ok just some cuts from a bramble bush and bruised knee - don't know how anything wasn't broken. Him " well I figured you have been getting a lot of attention !" Lol

Hahaha just what is needed at midnight when I'm fed up with thrashing round in bed with drain bottles stuck under my shoulder blade, pillows that won't stay propped and a cat that insists on sleeping on the 'empty side' and wondering why he can't warm his feet up since the weekend op.

I feel as though we ladies have to mine the rich seam of comedy moments as they arise. My District nurse coming to check my drains today sharing a 'Mrs Brown's Boys' comedy scenario; my best friend having me in fits of laughter when I tell her how the saline expander will be slowly filled...and filled...and her eyes are like saucers; my front fastening post surgery bra in a Carry on Camping Barbara Windsor moment - poppers ripping apart.

And today a phone conversation with my 85 year old dad who was himself rushed into hospital 50 miles away, the day after my surgery (thankfully ok) -

me -'brilliant timing - you don't 'alf pick your moments dad! Thought you were going to ring the ward to find out how was, not the other way round?'  

dad - 'well I'm sorry but when I reached for the phone I was literally on the floor under the bedside table for 24 hrs'  

me- 'well I hope you replaced the receiver or you're going to get a helluva bill from BT!'

dad - 'I've got three drains, a drip stand - and a catheter.'

me - 'show-off!'

Ha ha!! Love that !!!

O kittkatt...Awesomeness!  I'll have a set!

😉

So who's going on Dragon's Den with the badge idea?? I'll put in an order for 2, please ... right boob will say "it was the other side" and left boob "just kidding" . It would be like watching the crowd at Wimbledon !

Hi 

I started Anastrozole as soon as I was diagnosed. My bones do ache, but then again they did before so it's hard to know what is down to the hormones and what is down to me. i am having a bone densitromy test beginning of Feb.

Hair is thinning so a few friends are coming up with which colour extensions I should have - they are having great fun at my expenseSmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

It has been emphasised that I must exercise, just hope once op is over the weather cheers up then

As for hot flushes - they are there and had a couple of nights of very violent ones but now settled down, you need to time taking the pill to suit you. I am now wearing my summer pyjams though Smiley Very Happy

Beryl I am very fair and decided to have my eyelashes dyed  - as I would normally do for holidays lol - before I went in for my op. It definitely worked as everyone said how well I looked and I'm sure without it I would have looked very washed out!  

I'm a bit disturbed to hear about the facial hair, I start anastrozole on Monday and am dreading the side effects!  I've done the menopause once thank you very much so not looking forward to it again, but am more worried about possible joint pain as I want to get back to my active lifestyle as soon as possible. 

lots of luck on tuesday x 

I decided I was going into op - next Tuesday - glam  to stop the peeking at my boobs.

Today am going to have eyebrows shaped and surplus facial hair removed (thanks to anastrozole!)

Then on Friday am having a luxurious facial. Booked it at smartest  salon in area, will look sooo good no one will think about looking at my boobs or lack of one - well that's the theorySmiley LOLSmiley LOL

but it will just make me feel good and is a fun reason to do it!!!!

berylx

Lol, children really know how to lighten the mood!  My girls thought it was Hilarious I'd gone from a breast to a chest.. 😉 

Wow,  reconstruction,  you're on the other side!  ♡ fantastic!  The thought of that is a bit scary I reckon too. But exciting.  

Wishing you joy!  I know you're nervous but I have such a big grin on my face for you. Xxxxx

Yes, combined with the chemo diet I dropped from an 18 " up top" to a 10. Hard core but it works!! Not that I'd recommend it! You do have to find the funny stuff.. I wore Lycra type hats when I lost my hair and my 4 year old nephew asked " what's that purple thing on your head?" My sister and I howled! Having said that, said nephew, now 6 is terribly keen to help carry my bags when I visit. He and his 8 year old brother insist on carrying them to the Tube!
I've got reconstruction in 2 ½ weeks so fingers crossed ..

Friend of mine popped in and said 'you'll do anything for free body work ' we laughed till we cried.  

We played soccer together in the masters games one year, she knows I hate to run for no good reason.  

I told her its the fastest wieghtloss programme around,  2kg in 24 hours. 

Laughing cos we must.

Xxxx

Gentle arm stretching hugs ladies

Belly dancing is the way to go!

Mx

So much fun!

I got out a pattern for pjs today,  but have decided I shall go and buy some instead, or a pretty blouse..retail therapy indeed. Excellent plan! 

Like the burlesque idea too. Xx

Love it!!

I took myself off for retail therapy yesterday I am now looking at a new therory of broken body - beautiful clothes - Decided I am also going to look at burleque classes  will fan and dance myself fab

Loving it Annie

Everyone is different- I'm sure that doing what feels right for you is the key. It is still very early days for us both!

A

Thank you very much! I had my mastectomy on 24 Nov. I went out a couple of times for a walk but I felt tired after about 20 mins walking. I wish I could do the same as you as I used to walk a lot before beeing dignosed with invasive breast cancer. Maybe I should push myself a little bit more. Thanks

You have to laugh!
Or a badge saying 'eyes up!'

I know exactly what you mean! I am experimenting with very gaudy highly or lowly positioned jewellery! What I need is a strategically positioned badge saying " oops - yes- saw you looking!'

Not brave.....however,sense of humour is needed!! Love it when people ask "How are YOU".and give a quick look at the boob area!

Well done Annie, 6 miles a day is incredible! Your neighbour sounds like a real character...
Need to get my act together and get out in the fresh air too. I have dogs but can only walk them one at a time because don't want bad arm yanked yet.
Mx

Be brave and laugh!

Hi to all you brave ladies out there. I am just one week post mastectomy and SLNB op. Feeling wonderful - walking 6 miles a day. Greatly amused by my 85 year old neighbour yesterday who saw me ambling down the local high street. He was so astonished he'd assumed that I would be in bed for a week - that he shrieked 'Resurrection!!' at the top of his voice ( well he is married to a vicar) I laughed so much my wound hurt. Be brave ladies . You are not alone and there is so much love and support for you.