1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been Diagnosed and Scared !!!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Been Diagnosed and Scared !!!

iam not an expert, but i would have thought if they told you straight after the scan and before they had any boipsy results then they want more scan information on your breast rather than the rest of your body.

In the old days if a cancer area was too near the nipple or too near the chest wall they just whipped your breast off, but nowadays they care more and if possible do smaller surgical proceedures that leave a better cosmetic reslut and are less traumatic.

Just to reitterate though-- I am not an expert, just an avid reader of all things BC

Hi maz1950

I had a CT scan of liver and lungs and a bone scan as routine following my mx (both clear despite spread to lymph nodes).
The bone scan is done in the nuclear medicine department so that is probably why you have been given an appointment there.
The lungs, liver and bones are where breast cancer tends to spread to so the docs like to check these areas because it would make a difference to what treatment is best for you.

Take one day at a time. Best wishes,
Kate x

Guest user
Not applicable

straight after my scan i have been told that i am g6ing over to the nuclear department i dont know what for but i dont know size of tumour but it could not be felt by physical examination thanks

Hi Maz,

Oh so sorry that you've had to join our friendly gang on here - honestly, post any time you want cos there's a lovely bunch of people on here, and it's amazing how there's always someone who can offer virtual hugs, caring words - and that's 24hrs a day.

Yes it's scary, and we can't take away that scariness altogether, but just the fact that we know exactly how you're feeling, it really does help. The best advice is what people have already put on here - don't google. It's so tempting to do so! Post on here instead, and look info on here, and follow the links. The phoneline here is absolutely great - when I've phoned, they've been so caring and knowledgeable, and they give you as much time as you need to talk too. Send off or download some of the BCC leaflets - if you phone the helpline, they always check if you need any of them as part of the call.

So Maz, take good care of yourself, and don't worry about having to have a CT scan - it's part of them assessing you, and it helps to build a complete picture of how they can best help and treat you, alongside the other tests, just like others on here have already said.

And lastly, you'll probably find that at least one person around you may know about "their next door's sister's mother-in-law's cat that had breast cancer" and try to reassure you by giving descriptions of what they had done - people are well meaning in trying to say things that they think will help you, but it's not always useful! And then there are the lovely people who say just a few words to you which mean so much!

Take care of yourself Maz, and post on here as much as you want - and remember the Helpline is great too!

Luv n a big hug!
Shelley xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Maz
So sorry you have had to join us but you will find the forum a great source of comfort I hope. Please please please do not google you will just scare yourself silly.... take it from someone who knows!! In the end I had to ask my husband to hide my laptop.
A CT scan is perfectly routine as is a bone scan, at least it is in my hospital. It's not that they expect to find anything, they just want to be careful. I thank God that we live in this day and age where they have all these wonderful tests...... and although it all sounds really scary they are all actually very simple.
I also had a MRI because I had invasive lobular and it can be a bu**er to see...... all my tests were clear.
Hope you have support of friends and family to get you through the next few weeks, don't be a hero accept all the help you are offered.
By the way, I was dx in Oct, mx and recon in Nov and I am really well and enjoying life!
Lots of love E x

Hi,

did they say if they are just doing a CT scan of the breast or of your whole body??

If you have cancer in the breast they have to make a decision wether to just take the lump out or wether it is better to take the whole breast. Sometimes they need a CT scan to give them a better idea of exactly where the tumor is in the breast and which is the better operation for you. If there was no obvious cancer in the nodes then this sounds likely.

Or if they have any concerns at all that the cancer has spread out of the breast they will scan your whole body. I think every woman with cancer wonders if it has spread, and if they offered me one I would jump at the chance.

In the bad old days they threw every weopon in the arsenal at cancer and poisoned the whole body and went for overkill. nowadays they can pinpoint exactly what needs doing and target just that area. Hopefully
if you are going for a full body scan it will turn out fine, and you will end up being totally reassured that once they have treated your breast then they have caught it all.

You could ring up your cancer nurse and ask what your results are and why they are calling for a scan. She might be able to tell you more.

Hi Maz
The other two ladies here have said it all. So sorry you have joined us, but this forum is a great support. Use it!
With regards to CT-scan, I also had a CT-scan following my diagnosis. They are just being thorough, which is a good thing. These first few days and weeks are the most frightening, it will get easier over time.
Do ask you medical team any question that you think of, all questions are relevant and it's important that you receive answers. The BCC helpline is very good as well.
Take care for now.
Nikki x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Maz so sorry you have had to join us, it is a very scarey time the early days & you'll be in shock it takes a while to really sink in its almost like you can't accept that this is happening to you.

Angie has summed it up there for you, just take each day as it comes try not to look ahead, until surgery is out the way & you go back for the outcome/ treatment plan everything will be a blur but once you have a treatment plan in place you'll feel more in control.

As for the CT scan Im not sure as I've not had one yet its sounds good that your consultant couldn't see anything in the nodes from the scan, lets hope that will remain the case, but until surgery the grading & node involvement wont be finalised, you'll have some idea from the biopsy, but this is just like taking a leaf from a plant instead of the whole plant so the full picture is not known until its surgically removed. Did she give you an idea of how large / small the tumour is ? It may just be proceedure with your clinic to give you a CT scan. Call your breast nurse anytime with any worries theres NO silly question. You can always call the helpline here too. It does get easier

Don't Google anything alot of the info is out of date & not always true stick to the recommended sites like this one

Take good care & keep us posted you'll always have lots of support here & ladies diag at same time so you can go through your journeys together
All the best try not to worry too much (hard I know)
Mekala x

Guest user
Not applicable

hello maz, so sorry you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. its a horrible time for you, and everything is scarey. well so now you know whats wrong im sure your breast care team will do their best to get rid of it for you , this will mean surgery of some kind, and will also involve lots of other things, blood tests xrays scans etc, these tests are what your breast team think best for you, some people have lumpectomys, some done , some have mastectomys some dont, some have scans , and again some dont. im sure your doctor will be able to answer your questions when he has completed getting the information he needs,

Guest user
Not applicable

Also I have been told that after the CT Scan I have to go to the hospital nuclear department and I am not sure what for has anyone else had this.

Hello Maz1950

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Been Diagnosed and Scared !!!

Hi there I was diagnosed with breast cancer last week, my doctor confirmed it with the mammogram and ultrasound, she said that she checked the lymph nodes and she could not see any cancer cells through the ultrasound, she also took some biopsies, I have now been called from the hospital to come in for a CT scan what does this mean has the cancer spread or is this common with all breast cancers.

Thanks in Advance for your advice.