Been recalled and really scared

Hi I am new to this but have just had a letter recalling me for more assessments after a mammo gram. I have a history of breast cancer in the family and am so scared. Please if there is anyone out there who can offer a few words of reassurance I would really appreciate it and any advice from people wHo have been through this. Thank you so much x

Hi Jo, I know it’s a really scary time but please try not to panic too much, the majority of recalls are absolutely fine honestly, I’ve been with my sister and a close friend when the were recalled and both were given the all clear after further tests. Having a family history of BC will be extra frightening, my mum died of it 15 years ago and I thought the worst when I was diagnosed but in reality mine wasn’t connected to hers and just one of those things, it was very treatable and I’m 18 months on and life is back to normal, no guarantees I know but very hopeful it’s all done and dusted! It’s really not unusual to be recalled and you have a good chance of all being well Xx Jo 

Hi Jo.

Most of us here have had that ‘dreaded’ recall letter. If you are in the U.K. You can be very reassured that from recall letter to assessment - timescales are really right. Most ladies recalled do so because they have not had mammos before and therefore the radiographer has nothing to compare your X-rays against. Being recalled in the main could mean another Mammo. In my case it was mammos, ultrasound and biopsies in the same place on my recall appt. The breast screening nurses were amazing and explained everything. In that explanation they tell you that lots of us get recalled and in most cases there are no issues. Follow up procedures to results is about a week to ten days. I was so impressed with their professionalism, speed and empathy - you can be reassured that they will be thorough. Be sure to take someone with you - as a second set of ears.
I hope your recall appt is soon - as the waiting game is like torture. You can also be reassured that forum members here have been through this, and are great supporters.

Take care

S

Thank you so much. I keep reading the letter which says all those reassuring things but it isn’t helping. Thanks for the reassurance though. It means a lot xx

I understand what you are going through as does everyone here. I had a recall last year after my 3rd 2 yearly screening mammogram, I also have family history and had been in the screening programme since about age 46.

I went along for the recall appointment and there were about 8 ladies there, we all had the digital magnified /diagnostic mammogram but it was only myself and one other lady who needed further investigations with ultrasound and biopsies.
The others were all sent home and put back into the screening programme.

It is alarming to receive the letter but you will be taken care of no matter what the outcome. My results were OK last year and I needed a year’s follow up hence why I am around again now… seeking re assurance, knowledge and support!!

I’m in the “waiting room” again!

Don’t feel afraid to ask anything here. The ladies are fab and a great support.
Best wishes and keep us posted. Xx

Thankyou poppy fields. So lovely to hear from you. I know that there will be a good chance that all will be ok and it’s great to know that being called back is not automatically a cancer diagnosis. At the moment, that’s what I am thinking. I’m so glad you are ok and really appreciate your kind words. Will keep you posted if that’s ok. Xx

Keep us updated here with your feelings and dates of your appointments and everyone will help you through each stage.

I’m currently waiting for a surgical biopsy and have my pre op next Wed. We all tend to be waiting for something I’m afraid.

Xx

Aw poppy fields sorry to hear you too are playing the waiting game. And so near to the Xmas break. I hope the news is positive for you. Please let me know. Will be thinking about you. X

Thanks. Just the pre op next week, surgery probably in early Jan.
Try not to worry too much and don’t Google. Stick to this site and macmillan.
X x

Having a little wobble today. Recall appointment on Wednesday and bern having bad dreams. And with Christmas coming, I am trying to keep positive for the family as my kids are getting excited but having real low moments. My logical brain tells me not to worry but then I think I have mammograms every year and there must be something if this year they have called me back. So many questions. … Will they be judgemental because I am overweight? Are the biopsies going to hurt? Will they treat me like just another number rather than a person? Silly stuff like that! Help!

Hi. I know it’s difficult but just try and think that about 80% (I think) of things seen on mammograms are benign so statistics are in your favour.
They will only do a biopsy if necessary, most people are sent away after having the magnified diagnostic mammogram done, or perhaps after an ultrasound.
They are not there to judge you but to identify anything that may need further investigations. Having had regular mammograms if they do find something that needs further investigations then they have caught it early which can only be a good thing… That’s what I keep telling myself when my mind wonders…

The waiting is very tough, there are a few of us with appointments on Wednesday. I wish you well and hope it goes OK.
Let us know how you get on. Big hug. Xx

Hi Jo.

It is normal to have wobbles. I know the clock watching so well - times goes so slowly. I think we adapt to a ‘new normal’ which for me meant doing stuff in small time chunks so I could try and distract myself for periods of time as you get exhausted with it otherwise.

Re the initial core biopsies - you get a local anaesthetic and it doesn’t hurt - the wonderful nurse held my hand throughout - she was so kind and reassuring. No way are they judgemental.

Hang on In there - will be thinking of you for wed.

S

Thank you so much everybody. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all your advice and support. I’m just so sad that all of you have been through or are going through these awful things. You must all be incredibly brave and are totally inspirational. Thank you xx jo

Thanks for your comments Jo, however, cancer does have particularly emotional connotations, but is probably no worse than getting diagnosed with anything else that can be potentially serious.
Quite honestly, I felt lucky mine was picked up when it was
& treatment was straightforward. There’s nothing especially brave about it, it just has to be dealt with, that’s all.
ann x