Beginning to see a future

Hi, I don’t want to tempt fate, but I remember reading a post that really helped me when I was first Dx’d, a lady saying how two years out, and she was now just begining to see a future and trust her body again. And now that woman is ME. so if this post helps even just one person it will be worth it.

September 2010 (four months after my Mum died) Dx’d with 57mm tumour plus a couple of little ones 4mm and 2mm in Right breast ER+ PR+ Her-. Five nodes affected. And just for kicks they found I had Hodgkins Lymphoma too! Lumpectomy failed, so Mx followed. Then Fec-T, Rads and now on Femara. I’ve seen my eldest graduate and my youngest start Uni and have done some travelling with more to come. Getting a dog made me get up and out nearly everyday of Chemo, and this and giving up work earlier this year has helped me lose some weight too. Recon is booked for next year.

If you are just starting out, it is a long and bumpy road, but just keep going - one day at a time (or an hour at a time when it’s really crap). You WILL get there. Do whatever works for you and do not beat yourself up with could’ve should’ve’s. With a fair wind one day all this will be behind you and there will be a new horizon for you too… there are lots of ladies out there many many years on, and there’s no reason why it can’t be you.
Love P xxxx

Hi peachez, thank you very much for your posting. I am two years on from my first dx too, but not quite yet as far ahead as you with ‘seeing a future’, but that’s probably because I was very unlucky to have a second primary one year ago, Which sort of restarted my clock. Nevertheless, your upbeat message is very comforting to me, and I hope I too can turn round sometime soon and say the same positive words. If it takes another year for me to get there, then so be it. I have learnt from my journey so far that things can take time, and can go very slow, sometimes counted by the hour or the day. Yet, I feel positive that I will get there too.

many many thanks,
christine

Peachez, that’s a lovely post. Looking forward to seeing myself there too, one day.

Nice one peachez,I too am now 2 yrs on and just beginning to feel good about myself again.
Love and good wishes to all
Di.x

Great post Peachez. I’m just over two years since dx too, and tomorrow off to climb Ben Nevis for BCC! Also planning my first ever long haul overseas holiday for next year and generally enjoying life.

What a lovely post, I am very early in my journey finished Rads on 3rd sept and on Tamoxifen for prob 2 years , I am at the scared stage with no hospital appointments and feeling very afraid of it coming back, so its lovely to see/hear that we do get there eventually , long may you live in the land of NED ladies and I pray many more of us will join you soon :slight_smile:

Janice x

Peachez, what a lovely comforting post. Like Janice I too have just finished chemo and rads and am feeling abandoned and scared. I too am looking forward to the day when I can relax and enjoy my life and have faith in my body. Wishing you many many years of happiness and good health x

Thanks Peachez. That’s just the tonic we need: A reminder that many, many ladies come through this and out the other side. After stressing so much about my 6 month check up, I am looking forward to being able to ‘trust my body again’.

I hope, in 2 years time, I will be posting something similar to help all the ‘newbies’ then!

fantastic post…have finished chemo in May and now on tamoxifen for at least 2-3 yrs…have been feeling a bit scared since last appt with onc as only have to go back now in 12 months…don’t trust my body at all so this is giving every lady like myself something to aspire to…thank you…M

I wish we had “like” buttons!

*LIKE*

Haven’t been here for some time now. Rev cat… How you doing, not spokeformatabout 18 mths.
Well girls, 5 years this month! Turned 50, 5 yrs of tam, 4 surgeries, 1 mth of rads, a pair of surgically modified boobs and I’m spat out the other side. Go to see yer man as to wether I start femara now. The very good news is I’ve been given 94% chance of staying healthy and 96% with the drug!
I’ve been watching the stand up to cancer stuff tonight and been moved to post. It’s just all so c**p, I am so inspired by these brave resilient women. My dalliance with the disease left me broken and only in the last say 6 months have I thought that I am finding myself again, and I haven’t had to put up with half the stresses they’ve had. My cancer monkey will always be on my shoulder though… Luckily he rarely screams into my ear now.
My thoughts go to all wherever they are on their journey.
Blessing

Hi . 5 YEARS !!! Well Done !!! I simply cannot wait to say that I have managed to survive that long, except that I will be a little bit older, but certainly wiser, stronger and ready to help others.
I too am watching stand up to Cancer , and think the Big C choir was very good as a lot of those ladies are going through Chemo, so Well Done to them too. They are all an inspiration , just like you .!
With my love Tracy xxx

Thanks so much to Peachez for starting this thread and to everyone who has responded. This means a lot to me.
When I was first dx in July I couldn’t see any future…it all started to close in but women who share experiences really help. Just had 2nd chemo and in need of inspiration today and this has helped. One thing I have learned is that I will prob feel vulnerable for a long time and that there are times when it is better than others. It is inspiring to know that the day will dawn when I WILL see a more distant horizon and to plan a new future. I am going to try my hardest to still be around as long as possible
xxx