67.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

15 REPLIES 15
crispy

Re: Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Dear All

I'm two years post chemo and as I was driving up to the lakes this evening I was reflecting on how much better I was than 2 years ago. To celebrate the end of chemo (3 FEC and 3 tax) and before rads i treated myself to 4 days in the Lakes. There was snow on the hills and clear blue skies so I decided to walk up a fell I usually managed with ease. It felt like I was climbing Everest and took a very long time and grim determination to get to the top but the view was worth it.

Two years later I've changed jobs to a more responsible role and can begin to recognise that the use of small muscles in my hands and feet is returning . I've also managed to improve my time for the mile and a half I've been attempting to jog since the end of rads by 30 secs.

Hope this gives some hope to those of you clinging on through treatment.

C

Guest user
Not applicable

I was just thinking this week that I'm beginning to feel a lot better. I'm just over a year from diagnosis and op, and was fairly lucky with minimal SE's from chemo and rads. After some months of panic I now have hair - I'm not convinced that it's "my" hair, but at least it covers my head! My nails have recovered, and the lymphodema in my boob is gradually going down. My arm and shoulder still ache a bit, and my toes feel slightly weird, but that apart I'm doing OK.

Of course I do have the advantage of having retired a few weeks after finishing my treatment - I do sympathise with those who are having to face going back to work.

One odd thing that made me feel better was my car passing its MOT. It kinda felt like I was getting back control over everything. I think that's one of the things we lose in all this malarky - everything feels out of your control. Getting that back feels good.

Guest user
Not applicable

Tracey, I cannot thank you enough for your message. I am facing third chemo in two weeks and am still waking in the night fearing the worst. You have done me the world of good.

Guest user
Not applicable

I am also new to this nightmare journey....mastectomy 4 weeks ago and then axilliary surgery 2 weeks ago, on Tuesday was told that I didnt need chemo or radiotherapy and have been prescribed Arimidex. Never imagined the fears, highs and lows that are all stored in your mind...family and friends very supportive and at 76 I feel I have been given my life back....I will try to be positive.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey

Well done,

what a lovley post to read.

love Wendy xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey
It is good to hear your story. I am at the beginning of my journey starting chemo in 2weeks then rads
You sound so positive and it is good to see you so happy.
Enjoy your gardening, hope you get plenty of lovely blossoms.
Love Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Tracey, yes, thank-you from me too. I was DX in December so still early on the journey but your post is very heartening. Keep well and enjoy your gardening!
Sandripples

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey
So comforting to read your post.I am at the start of this bloody awful journey, my surgery is next Wednesday and have less positives then more. Your story will give me another 24hrs positivity. Thank you so much Tracey for showing there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep well
Facelady xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey,
as very newbie person on here I have taken great comfort from your positive story. Thank you for that and I shall definately consider your comments rather than stats.
Thanks again, and well done
Best wishes
Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey
its fabulous to hear how well things are going for you and I hope you never look back! Enjoy and celebrate life
love, monica xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Tracey

I'm not as far out as you are (nearly two years) but have the same mental attitude. Yes we still think about a recurrence but it's not the first thing we think about when we wake up. Now it's time to enjoy life!

Someone on here wrote 'we didn't wait for cancer the first time so why wait for it the second time'. Why worry about something that may or may not happen. Just get on with life.

Good luck to you and hope you're really enjoying life.

Mal x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracey

Thank you so much for the really positive post. I am having my treatment first, 3 FEC and 3 Tax followed by a mx and radio. I am due my third FEC on Tuesday and really appreciate your good news. God bless and keep well

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you, Tracey. It is so encouraging to hear.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Tracey, great to read such a positive post. I am just over a year on since diagnosis and am too doing well but still being checked quarterly which is fine by me! I do have bone mets but all stable and I feel I should be here for a long time yet ! All the best Debbie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this !!! You hear so many doom and gloom stories and its so nice to hear of someone who has done well...gives me a lift and gives me hope that it could be me too !!!

Im have mx, chemo, rads and am now on Herceptin all at the age of 33! Hopefully later down the line Ill be putting the same post on as you to inspire other girls that have been newly diagnosed!

Well done you and so happy to hear your news xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Hi Everyone,
Well I was initially diagnosed back in Feb 06 IDC Grade 3 Stage 3 6 Lymph nodes involved and sentinel node super clavicle area. 3cm tumor.
Went to see my Oncologist on Weds and he does not wish to see me now for another year, by that time without any probs it will be 5 yrs NAD.
I am still on examasane daily and feeling ok but yes I know it is still there in the back of your head What If etc...... It does get easier....I came out of his office on a high!!
When I was first diagnosed and after my treatment I was every three months and then 6 months and now yay.... 12 months what an achievement!!! even if I say so myself!!! Considering my prognosis was NOT GOOD at time of diagnosis. NPI etc....
I just thought that any new Ladies to this site looking , because we hear the word Cancer well I know it terrified me then and still doesmay look at my post and think to themselves never go on statistics we are all individuals and each and every one of us deal differently with each stage of our journey...
I am now looking forward to getting stuck into my garden baskets need to be planted soon etc and looking forward
Love to you all
Take care
and <<<<<<
Tracey
xxxxx