Being offered shingles vaccination

Has anyone else who’s on Letrozole (or other hormone therapy) been offered a shingles vaccination by their GP?   And if so, is it a good idea?   Just wondering…but will speak to the Practice Nurse on Monday.

Hi Penelopeanne

Sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully someone will see it now.  Our helpline staff will also be only too happy to talk to you about this if you wish.  Lines open Monday at 9am - 5pm (weekdays) and Sat 10-2 0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Penelopeanne
I was interested to read your post. I have started on Letrozole and Zoladex in the last few months, after5 years on tamoxifen. Glad to hear you were able to receive the vaccine. I wondered if you knew whether it is one that is widely advised for women on Letrozole?
C

Hello ladies, When I was sat in my GP’s waiting room the other day I saw the poster for the Shingles vaccine but as it only mentioned ages 70-79 I told my parents to book theirs!

I wasn’t aware that I could have asked my GP when I was there! I did have Shingles a few years ago, would the GP still offer it if I asked?

I have the Flu Jab now, so maybe I could. Best to cover all bases - after all the treatment I have had done a bout of Shingles would not be welcome!!!

Cheers, Michele x

Hi again! I just had a call from one of the GP’s at my surgery regarding the Shingles Jab. I booked my Flu Jab yesterday and asked about the Shingles Jab and they said a doctor would call back to discuss it. When I explained that some of the ladies on this Forum were discussing it and some had actually been given it, I asked whether or not I should have one, I have had shingles before now and our immune systems are still compromised to some degree so we do all we can to protect ourselves don’t we?

Anyway, she then quoted word for word what it says on the poster in the surgery about the Jab being offered to those of a certain age (70-79), then said that the NHS wouldn’t offer it to cancer patients!!! Unfortunately in my opinion this smacks of nothing but a financial excuse once again, ie: as I was told by a member of my Breast Team earlier this year when enquiring about MRI’s and other scans, “the NHS is not made of money”, well i am sorry but the system is clearly flawed or leaning toward wasting money needed for more important treatments, instead they spend millions on outrageous things that don’t even concern us!!

Rant over for now! I get very cross when we have to practically beg for things that we need in order to keep well and healthy.

Cheers, Michele x

Is it safe to have a shingles vaccination on letrozole.