Did you mean: 

Belated Spring Cleaning

23 REPLIES 23
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Belated Spring Cleaning

Norberte, without my specs, i read your post as

cleaning kitchen = maid

Yeah my gran had one of those when she had six children under eight and no washing machine, no electric iron, no microwave, a very rudimentary fridge, no car, no TV... isn't it funny how the world changed, now many of us have all those things and much more, but we still end up doing all the work ourselves, with not even a surplus fourteen year old ejected from someone else's overfull nest to help us out.

Guest user
Not applicable

just be careful cleaning the windows!
my pot hopefully comes off on Tues, but I've learned my lesson
yours
Mrs Doyle (Father Ted)

Guest user
Not applicable

post deleted

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Norberte

Yes I enjoy ironing and would happily help you out if you were close. Cleaning! I didn't say I enjoyed the doing of it but I am really happy with my shiny kitchen. All cupboards emptied, rubbish and everything out of date in the bin, shelves washed and the knowledge that now I can find everything. The bonus being having done it slowly over a week or so the LD is still stable.

The new photo was taken on another one of my 'mad' days when we were fundraising for our local hospice , being mad has it's moments.

Andie

Guest user
Not applicable

post deleted

Guest user
Not applicable

LOL! I'm sure next month will be fine and the dust will still be there... wait, isn't it someone else's turn this month, I'm sure you did it last month, no??

Yes, I'd like a clean organised home too - the day I see mine like that, I'll be checking for a pulse in case I died in the night and woke up in heaven...

ethlydsyl

too tired to do the bathroom til next month lol

Guest user
Not applicable

To tired clean :::(

ethlydsyl

ha ha-am a saddo-when i posted about my floor-i just went to the kitchen door and had a look-beautiful x just need to sort the bathroom now x

ethlydsyl

i just had to join in even tho i haveen't got l/dema-3 weeks post wle surgery-just had to mop and scrub my kitchen floor today-it was a bloody disgrace-can hold my head up now if anyone comes-but had to have a lie down after lol x

Guest user
Not applicable

LOL, this made me chuckle.
Personally, I like a very clean and organised home.
A lot of frustration I feel is not being able to blitz and having to do things bit by bit, it's really annoying!
I haven't lymphodema but chemo has kicked my a*se and I get tired very easily, so have to do bit at a time.

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry: "Dusting" ??

Shelley61

Hi Andie, we're "the ironing sisters"! xx

Shelley61

I haven't got lymphoedema, but can I join in the conversation please? It's just I'm gonna make your day Sandra, cos I like ironing - sad or what! However, as a trade-off, I HATE dusting! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Dear

Sandra I do love ironing! In fact at one time I used to do all the ironing for two of my married daughters and their families. My LD is in my left arm and I am right handed so with my sleeve on as a precaution with the lifting of the garments I happily iron away with the radio on for company. I told you I was MAD!!

Andie

Guest user
Not applicable

I have a kitchen that needs cleaning.... In fact the whole flat is a tip. Come round any time and I will grab a cake for us!
Glad you are feeling so much better at last.

Guest user
Not applicable

Lol at "mad" Andie, hmm if it makes you happy that's what counts ! Someone will be saying they love ironing next !

Guest user
Not applicable

OK. I confess I have been called mad before! What is even sadder is the fact that I am actually enjoying the cleaning sessions!

Truth is this is the first time since DX nearly 3 years ago that I have had enough sustained energy to embark on a 'normal' job that before I would have undertaken without giving it a second thought. The fact that the LD gang have given me the green light to continue albeit with precautions has just added to my enjoyment.

Yes Totally Mad.

Andie

Guest user
Not applicable

Specially as it's only going to get grimy again 😞

Guest user
Not applicable

post deleted

elinda45

Hi Andie

When I was first diagnosed I got very anxious about everything I did. I'm careful now but I try not to worry too much. If you overdo things you're doing the right thing with some extra SLD.

I always wear my sleeve if I'm doing anything like housework or gardening. my nurse said it was best not to have a big housework blitz in one go.
I love gardening and sometimes that worsens my lymphodema temporarily. I try to minimise the activity the following day etc. I'm lucky that my lymphodema is very mild and the nurse has said that whatever I'm doing is right because it has reduced right down in size and is now smaller than my other arm.

The day before yesterday I got bitten by insects all over my arm and other parts of my body too. I keep a very close eye on any bites or scratches but I no longer go into a frenzy of paranoia about it all now.

My nurse's motto is that lymphodema should not run your life. So care and kindness to our arms, avoid as many hazards as we can but not let it dominate every waking moment. Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

post deleted

Guest user
Not applicable

ooh wish I had a house cleaning fairy ! My lymphoedema is usually fairly well behaved and I get away with just wearing my sleeve when I know I'm going to be moving my arm a lot and doing stuff like grocery shopping, it doesn't like lifting things in and out of the trolley. The other thing that does set me off is cleaning,it just doesn't like the whole wiping ,scrubbing thing so I have got to wear my sleeve for that and if it does start swelling I just up my sleeve usage and do a bit more SLD, that's what works for me.Am just very careful to try and not do too much on consecutive days as don't want it getting worse. Think it is just a case of trial and error. Good luck and don't stress too much about cleaning,too clean a house isn't good for you !

Guest user
Not applicable

Belated Spring Cleaning

Hi

I know this is a bit late in the year but I couldn't stand the state of my kitchen any longer. I have spent the last few days gradually reducing the layer of accumulated grease and grime and am now wondering if this level of physical activity is going to cause me an ongoing problem with my LD.

I have increased the amount of SLD as a precaution and any discomfort that builds up during the day seems to have reduced by the next morning, but would appreciate advice from any one of you that have learnt to live with LD. How much is enough - is this what my LD nurse meant by wear your sleeve when necessary. Unfortunately I don't have a cleaning fairy in my house.

Thanks

Andie