Ben Nevis challenge 2012

hellllooo ladies! I have made the insane decision to climb this little hill for Breast Cancer Care. Im the fattest and unfittest person in the world and wandered if there are any other mad people out there who has signed up for this event so that we can encourage each other on with training /hints/words of encouragement etc. It would be great to chat with each other before we get to meet in the flesh!!!

come on ladies…who else is mad?!!

deed
xx

Helloooo Deed,
well done for starting this thread.

Yup, I’m in, as the saying goes. Just hoping my Tamxoxifen-ed joints stand up to the walking! Went for a walk (flattish) today as the sun was shining and I had the day off. Will be great to have some ‘training buddies’ on here and to get to ‘know’ some walkers ahead of time.

cool - welcome aboard the ben nevis train!! I detest walking, goodness knows why im doing this challenge lol. im sure it will be quite emotional when we reach the top! I walked up a hill on my walking yesterday and by the time i got to the top i sounded like a huffing and puffing gruffalo, think the workmen in the road thought i might have a heart attack! ha ha.
Im back to work now and work shifts so finding the motivation to go hill walking is going to be a tough one, but my husband is a fitness freak so will no doubt drag me out! are you doing this with somebody else?
ive just checked the flights to glasgow - £300 for us both!!!

deed
x

Hi Deed and Revcat
I was only talking about climbing Ben Nevis last week,to my future son in law.I live in Liverpool,but he lives in Scotland and was saying about doing the climb with me.
All being well I have 2 operations coming up.One in 2wks time and the other in April or May.Hopefully I will have recovered by September.
It is my intention to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Feb 2013 for Breast Cancer,but as I’ve never climbed anything before,I thought that I could practice doing Ben Nevis first.
I’ve been exercising and practising a lot in the gym lately,especially on the climber stepper,to strenghthen my sore Tamoxifen joints and just lost the 4 and half stone that I put on during treatment,so hopefully it should be a little easier without the excess baggage.
Maybe I could also persuade a few friends to join me.
Could you pleas send me any information about it.
Thank-you
Francaesca xx

I used to live in Fort William for six years … ahem … never climbed Ben Nevis though LOL. It’s not just a hill LOL, very steep, weather changes quickly, mostly wet. Was thinking aboput it, but I don’t know if I could make it, having chemo till March and MX in April and finish rads probably in June, might be all too early. But what really puts me off, it says you have to raise £500? I don’t know if I would manage this to be honest. What if you don’t manage, your banned LOL?

Hi Francaesca/HotMamma

You can find out more about it here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/fundraising-events/walks/ben-nevis-challenge

Big congrats on the weight loss - that’s AMAZING

I am awaiting some symmetry surgery (hopefully soon… please…) but am confident I’ll be OK to climb by September… was hill walking within weeks of the end of treatment last year. I know, I’m one of those “expletive deleted” people! :slight_smile: Just so long as my Tamoxifen kn*ckered joints stand up to it.

Christine, hope the rest of your treatment goes well. If you wanted to riase some money for BCC there are plenty of other options e.g. Pink Ribbon walk at Scone Palace

breastcancercare.org.uk/fundraising-events/walks/pink-ribbonwalk

Or even a coffee morning at your church…

I would have seriously considered joining you, but I’m already booked on holiday. What a shame.

My sister has just finished a Women V Cancer 400km cycle ride in Kenya - I’m not really into cycling, but a walk would have been more my cup of tea. I’ve been up Snowden several times (although not for some years) and skied in the Nevis Range, so this appealed.

Good luck everyone!
Dx

Hi Francaesca/HotMamma
wow your weight loss is amazing, how did you do it? I had my last surgery in November and was up and about by christmas. Perhaps if you had this to aim for it would give you an incentive?
I too, was worried about raising the £500 (my husband is coming too so we have to raise £1000) but its suprising how generous everybody is when they realise its breast cancer. I have raised £400 on my just giving page within a matter of weeks. we had a cake sale at work and raised £105, my daughters school has agreed to have a pink mufti day with expectations of bringing in between £500-£600, we have organised a pink night at a local conservative club, send out invites through work and facebook and i sent out 65 letters to businessess so we are having an auction on the night. It was actually alot of work but i will now make the target easily.

My challenge is going to be getting my fat ar*e to the top - im soooo unfit! any volunteers to push?! lol

deed
x

Just bumping this up to see if anyone else is taking part? Evidently the event is now fully booked and I would be curious to know who else from here is going… out of the hundred or so permitted surely a fair few?

Hi all
I was intending to register for this walk but now realise its fully booked so I am too late. I will phone & see if I can get on the waiting list.
Good luck with the training.
Elginquine

how are you getting on with the training Rev Cat? im the unfittest and fattest person who ever attempted a climb of Ben nevis so should be interesting!!! lol

deed
xx

Hi Deed, well I bought some new kit as per the kit-list (already had most of it as I love hill walking) - the training is how to drink from the osprey (like camelbak or platypus) which is not quite like drinking out of a bottle! That and making sure I get plenty of walking day to day.

My joints are getting kn*ackered by the Tamoxifen so just hoping they last out til September… I’ll get up that mountain if I have to crawl!! So good there’s someone else from here doing it - the names on FB suggest more supporters than bc-gals. That’s fine but it’s good to know I’m not alone!

i forgot their was a facebook page, what does it come under? I have bought quite a bit of kit but still need to buy my camel back thingy! If your a hill walker on a regular basis then im going to rope myself to you and you can pull me up (think thats the only way im going to get to the top!
will keep my fingers crossed that your joints hold out until sept. I have my “pink nite” this friday and hoping to make quite a lot of money towards our total

keep walking!!

deed
x

Hi Deed the link is facebook.com/events/167313723357034/ if this gets removed I’ll PM it to you. It’s a public page in FB so hopefully OK to link it.

We can crawl up together! Hope they put some BCC gals in the same group. But there’s always the after-party…

Oh… just checked you already joined it!!

Yep, i found it! your right, there arent many bcc girls on there, mostly supporters. perhaps we can request what group if there are specific people we would like to meet/crawl/cry together!! lol
The after party will be fab, if we stay awake long enough for it!

I am absolutely terrified of flying to the biggest challenge is getting on that tiny plane from bournemouth to glasgow, i will be petrified and my poor husband wont have any hands left by the time ive finished grabbing them!

I seriously need to get into my walking but hubby and i both work shifts which i find really tiring along with looking after 3 kids and dog breeding!!! my stress relief is wine NOT exercising!! lol

deed
xxx