Benefits.....can my wife claim??

Hi my wife has recently been diagnosed with BC which has spread into her Lymph nodes, as if she didn’t have enough to worry about she is now getting very stressed / upset because she is not going to be able to work. I earn a half decent income, can anyone please advise us, which, if any, benefits that she can claim for. She really is in the early stages but will be starting Chemo in about two to three weeks and then will have an operation. It may sound a bit daft to be asking about benefits at this stage but the worry is just making her feel even worse. All replies / advice very welcome. Thanks Shaun

Hi Shaun

I’m sorry your family is in this position, it’s horrid. As for benefits information, you might want to speak to people on the helpline (number at the top of the page) or to people at Macmillan. You might also find that your hospital has a cancer support centre where they will be able to help with form-filling and other hoops that we have to jump through.

Hope that helps.

CM

Hi Shaun and welcome to the BCC forums

I am posting a link to the BCC publication containing benefits information which you can order or read on here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/financial-and-practical-support/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/22/

As Chocciemuffin said you are also welcome to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, the line is open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care
Lucy

HI Shaun

I agree with CM that Macmillan are excellent when it comes to getting financial advice.

The benefit one usually gets now is Employment Support Allowance (ESA). I was self employed and went onto this once I started treatment. It is though dependent on having paid sufficient national insurance for the previous two years or, as I understand it, being means tested. If your wife is currently working for an employer then this situation would probably be different.

If she does put in a claim, then it is very important for her to say she is having intravenous chemo. That way she shouldn’t need to go for a medical exam.

It is horrible having to worry about all that as well. I can completely understand your wife getting stressed. I had always worked and felt really bad at not earning.

If she’s stopped working, what I would say is don’t delay in making a claim as even a few weeks of not paying national insurance can jeopardise a claim.

take care, Elinda x

Thank you for your replies, we had an apponitment with Karen’s allocated nurse and she has advised us put a claim in but she said because (apart from Breast cancer) Karen is a healthy young (45 year old) women she may struggle to get any financial help. I guess all we can do is seek the advice and try. I feel guilty talking about the subject of money when we have more important issues to be concerned about, but I know how depresed Karen will become if we can’t get any help.

Karen starts her 6 months of Chemo in two weeks, the Op and then 3 weeks of Radiotherapy.

Thanks again for your replies, its at times like this when you realise how much support there is out there.

Regards

Shaun