Best time of day to take tamoxifen?

Hi,

I had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago and im lucky enough not to need chemo but im due to start rads in a couple of weeks and have been given tamoxifen today. 

Im really nervous about taking them because of all the side effects and wondered if anyone has found a preference in the time of day to take it ie morning or evening? 

Any advice would be much appreciated :smileyhappy:

Thank you E xx

Hi. I started taking tamoxifen 5 weeks ago and after reading other posts I decided to take it on an evening. So far I’m pleased as, apart from the occasional hot flush which I had during chemo, I’ve had no other side effects. I’m swimming, going to the gym and riding my horse 8 weeks post op. Like chemo, rads etc… everyone reacts differently so I would suggest just going with it and tweaking the time if you need to. Not everyone suffers side effects and generally, as with most forums, you read about those people experiencing problems and nothing from those who are, hopefully, just getting on with their lives as normal.

I hope any side effects you do experience are minimal.

Take care

Diana x

Hi,

I had a lumpectomy and have just finished my radiotherapy today. I start Tamoxifen tomorrow. My Oncologist said that most people seem to take it at night so I intend keeping it by the bed. Like you I am nervous to take it, have been told I need to take it for ten years which also worries me.Would love to know how you get on, good luck - D xx

Hi girls I have been on tamoxifen for 2 days. woohoo! Am currently taking it at bed time, but was told to have something to eat with them. Is that true or do you think as long as it’s after dinner you’re ok? i’m telling myself no side effects so I wont get any! I didn’t have chemo and will start rads within 4-6 weeks. love to all 

Hi ladies I will be having radiotherapy in 3 weeks time then will be taking tamoxifen for 5yrs, I was told by my oncologist to take tamoxifen before rads treatment but I thought you took them after rads?.. or does it matter when you take them? Thanks jules xx