Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bi lateral DEIP flap reconstruction recovery times and advice please

1 REPLY 1
Sam_BCC

Re: Bi lateral DEIP flap reconstruction recovery times and advice please

Hi Susan

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it useful to read the BCC booklet on reconstruction. It contains information on recovery times and the different types of reconstruction.  If you would like to download this or read it on line just follow this link:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

There is also Breast Cancer Care's peer support service. This telephone service aims to put you in touch with one of our trained peer supporters, who has had a personal experience of breast cancer and this type of reconstruction.  They are ready to listen, offer skilled emotional support and share their experiences and understanding.

For more information about this service, please telephone our helpline on 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 10am-2pm).

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Susan50

Bi lateral DEIP flap reconstruction recovery times and advice please

Dear All

I have been through the mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy and still standing!  I am due to undergo a bi-lateral DEIP flap reconstruction in January at the QEII in Birmingham.  I am on my own with two young children and wondered if anyone knew realistically the recovery period (it is said 8 weeks) but I need to get my children to school and make them meals, etc..  Does anyone have real experience of a DEIP flap reconstruction recovery period?  Also is there any help I can get from anywhere to look after me and my children if necessary?  My sister will have them whilst I'm in hospital but after that she can only help when she isn't at work or looking after her own family.  All advice hugely welcome... thanks Susan