Big lump right breast

Hi all, about a week ago I found a large hard lump in my right breast. It’s not so far from my armpit and it’s about 3cm long and maybe 1.5cm wide. It doesn’t move and it feels very different to my fibroadenomas which I’ve had for years. But these are mainly in the crease of breast tissue where my breasts meet my ribs. My Fibroadenomas feel like firm yet squidgy rice pudding under the skin.

This is very different! I don’t have skin tethering, skin changes or discharge. But - due to weight loss over the years the skin on the upper part of my breasts is very loose anyway. I’ve not had lumps here before and it doesn’t hurt. I have an appointment at the GP tomorrow. But I have quite a few other health issues and I’m worried they’ll think I’m a hypochondriac. My husband can feel the lump and if I raise my arms up you can see it too. I’m very worried and need support and advice.

Saffie

Welcome to the forum where you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

Well you have done exactly the right thing to do in getting your GP to have a look at it.  There are other breast conditions, as you probably know, that are not necessarily cancerous, but it is always best to get any change to your breast checked out for your own peace of mind.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow and we are all here to support you in whatever way we can.

Helena xxx

Thank you. Yes I’ve read a fair few of the threads here and I can see a lot of similar issues to me. I do check my breasts a lot as because they are quite big I’m always worried I’ll miss something. How I missed this enormous damn thing I don’t know! Your message means a lot. Thank you x

Hi Saffle, you’ve come to the right place for support, we have it in bucket loads here! You are seeing your Gp which is the first step and something we urge everyone who comes though the forum with worries to do right away.

Your Doctor certainly should take you seriously no matter how many other times you have been with different issues, they are generally on the ball with breast lumps and you should be referred under the two week rule to your local breast clinic for further investigations as you have a palpable lump, I know how hard it is not to worry and a referral certainly doesn’t mean that you have cancer , the majority who go come away with the all clear, try not to let your mind run riot , just deal with one thing at a time ?

Let us know how you get on Xx Jo 

I will let you know tomorrow. My appointment is at 11am. Even when you read up about the odds of it being sinister it still doesn’t put your mind at rest really. I’m not sure if it’s linked but I’ve also had crippling ovary pain during my last two periods. Last month I couldn’t even sit up! Something isn’t quite right. Let’s hope it’s a hormonal issue maybe!

Had my appointment today. Have been referred to the 2 week wait Breast clinic. GP thinks I’ll need a mammogram and biopsy. But as she said it still could be ok and nothing sinister.

Hi all! Well
I’m finally having my scan tomorrow. My boobs have been deeply unhappy due to monthlies. The menstrual swelling of my boobs really pushed the lump much further to skin and you could feel it better. Anyway, my boobs are now almost back at normal volume. But alas the lump is still there.

I am also worried that if is nothing there or it’s a dreaded fibroadenoma that I’ll be told off for being a nuisance. How irrational is that. It’s just that my last scan (which found adenomas) the Doctor was well…brusque. :frowning:

Hi Saffle,
Well, I think that says more about that Drs somewhat below par communication & interpersonal skills really?
So please don’t read anything into that. It’s what they’re for!
Wishing you well with it all & let us know how you get on.
ann x

I just remember last time I came away feeling like I’d wasted their time. But I know this lump is different. We shall see I guess. Thank you for your comment x

So today wasn’t the best news. I have a 3cm lump which may have spread up to my lymph nodes in my axilla. I had a mmmogram (first one ever - ow!!) and a biopsy under ultrasound. The surgeon says it’s suspicious. Then they started talking about surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Back at hospital next week for results.

So best case scenario it’s a benign lump but it needs to be whipped out. Worse case scenario - we shall see I guess. I’ve been hugely upset this afternoon and would appreciate the support of you lovely ladies.

x

Thank you Jo. Yes that’s exactly it! I wasn’t in control. I have a very analytical problem solving brain and the information overload and lack of definitive diagnosis was a bit much. Nobody got it wrong today. I underestimated how I’d feel. There’s a glimmer of hope I guess. x

Aww thank you. Yes it’s been an odd few days. Surreal. My bruising has come out now and I’ve a few other aches and pains. Roll on Thursday. I’ve taken a few days of work as I’m not mentally well enough right now. And then from Thursday who knows!! Thank you again my lovely. Hope you are ok too xxx

Hi… I’m just flicking through posts trying to find answers to my own questions and if I’ve got the dates right you have your results appointment tomorrow… if I’m right i have everything crossed for you and wish you all the luck in the world I hope your days off have been good to you
Best wishes
Michelle

Hi, thank you for messaging. It’s really appreciated. Yes my appointment is this pm. Having a sleepless night unfortunately. All the best to you too. xxx

Hi, well it wasn’t good news I’m afraid. I have an Invasive Ductal Carcimoma. Back at the hospital on Tuesday for treatment planning with the MDT. I’m feeling like I’m in a surreal little bubble right now. It’s oestrogen negative. Progesterone positive and we are still waiting for the other hormone test result. Need your support please. Feeling horrendous but I’m determined to fight this battle. It will not beat me!!

Hi Saffle,
Nothing more to add, as Jo & Charys have said it all really.
Sorry to hear you’re joining us & it is such a shock, but at least it can now be dealt with & you’re certainly not alone with it all.
Do come & chat or vent whenever you need to & once your treatment is in place, then do look at the relevant threads where you’ll get support from others in the same place you are.
sending hugs
ann x

Thank you lovely ladies. Your support is hugely appreciated. Yes it is the HER2 protein result we are waiting for. I will keep you posted. Roll on Tuesday now. x

I of course don’t know you but I have been thinking of you all day I’m so very sorry that it wasn’t good news and I myself have had replies to my own posts from a few of these wonderful ladies so you are in good hands here. I wish you every bit of luck in the world for your coming treatment lots of best wishes and love
Michelle