Bilateral Breast Cancer

Hi everyone.

Has anyone had bilateral breast cancer or know how commonly it is diagnosed in younger women? Does breast cancer ever occur symmetrically? My lumps are in the same place; one breast 1.8cm, the other 2.5cm based on ultrasound.

I get the results of my biopsies tomorrow and am terrified. I was told by the GP I first saw about the lumps in January that they felt like normal breast tissue (they didn’t to me or my partner) and that they wouldn’t be anything to worry about as they were symmetrical. I kept my anxiety in check by telling myself the same thing until I finally went to the GP again at the start of May after they had hardened and got very slightly larger. Even the consultant last week said that she thought they were very likely to be cysts/fibroadenomas due to being in the same place, but they were apparently ‘malignant looking’ on the ultrasound and mammo. Lymph nodes look normal apparently but I’m prepared to hear the worst tomorrow and am so frustrated that, if it is bad news, the symmetry has resulted in a 4 month delay in diagnosis. 

Terrified it has spread, especially as it’s now six months since I noticed the lumps and they are not small; obsessing about every ache and pain this week. Kicking myself that I didn’t get a second opinion in January. Only 34 and was hoping to start a family with my partner. 

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

The anxiety is horrible when going through this, but it could still turn out not to be bc. It is also usual for anxiety  to make us imagine the worst.  

Please don’t beat yourself up about timings, you did all you had to, to get it seen too. Bc is a lot rarer for someone of your age.

IF you do get a diagnosis tomorrow, then there’s loads of support here from others around your age, as well as those of us further down the line. This thread tends to be quieter, so IF diagnosed, then do go along to the ‘newly diagnosed’ board. 

Hopefully, all will be well & if you want to, let us know how you get on.

ann x

Hi Sarah,
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis…stay strong, You’ll be fine x

I was diagnosed in April 2016 with bilateral invasive ductal breast cancer. Came as a shock. Not symmetrical but a tumour in each breast. Grade 3 on left and grade 2 on right. Apart from grade, same characteristics. Both er and pr +. I had a lot of lymph involvement on right. I had lumptectomies and full node clearance on right. I had 8 cycles of chemo and 20 rads on each. Currently on zoladex but will have ovaries out soon then will start letrozole. Wishing you all the very best with treatment my love. It isn’t easy but very much doable.You are not alone. Pls feel free to ask any questions xx