Biopsy and MRI-where is it possible?

I had MRI scan 5 months after dx which confirmed tumour was dispersing and chemo needed. As I was told to expect the scan picked up a “light spot” in my other breast, only 8mm. The consultant surgeon asked for a biopsy under MRI scan. Turns out the hospital hasn’t got the equipment, so I have had USS which couldn’t find it. I’ve been told there is a low chance of this developping into a tumour, but I’m not sure whether this is a rationale for the lack of equipment?
I was told they only have this equipment in London- I’d love to hear others’ experiences if they have had opportunities to have biopsy under MRI scan? Privately perhaps??

Bumping this up for Penny

Hi,
Sorry, I’m not able to throw any light on where such equipment might be available. However, if the consultant ordered a certain procedure, is it not the responsibility of the team treating you to find somewhere that can deliver this for you and refer you on? I don’t know where you live but, if the facilities are availlable in London, can your team refer you there and you travel to have it done? I am a bit of a stroppy madam when it comes to insisting that the NHS delivers on its commitments and I don’t see why you should consider going private if this is something that has been deemed appropriate by your surgeon.

Apologies if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi PWC that’s exactly what ED was saying and she’s medically trained. We would never go private at this stage but in this case it seems odd to have one person in the team saying one thing and the other another. It all seemed a bit shabby to me. The BCN is clear that I have had the most appropriate care I can have from the referral, and I certainly have no other complaints, so I will leave it for now and take it up in 2 months when I next see Consultant surgeon. By then any dissatisfaction on the part of the CS with the rad folk should have been resolved and we can reflect on it- I will certainly bring it up. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Penny,
I had biopsies under MRI last month, at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. They are also the team that developed the Predict module which is used to determine what adjuvant treatment is given. After my mastectomy last month they are so sure about their diagnosis and treatment that I’m not having chemo or radiotherapy, and they’ve even said that if the Tamoxifen really disagrees with me they’d be happy for me not to have that either. When I was being treated people were coming from quite a distance - as a teaching hospital for Cambridge University they tend to be very open to taking on the more unusual cases from elsewhere.
I hope this helps a bit.
Anna xx