Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biopsy and bruising - what helps?

9 REPLIES 9
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Biopsy and bruising - what helps?

Had my MRI guided biopsy today. Big fat bruise on the right boob! But not as bad as I expected. Though a bit sensitive, it is not particularly painful. No need for painkiller so far. Why is it always worse in expectation than in reality?
Results on the 16th.
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh my goodness.... nerves on edge again! I just got used to the idea that I'll most probably only have the biopsy after my holiday, after 12th of Aug. But the hospital just phoned to say I have to be there 7:45 am!

Sorry to hear that it was cancer (((hugs))) Maggie xx

Hi there
I wish I was out celebrating ! It is cancer but everyone is being very very kind. I will write more later...but I have told my children which was the worst and I am so glad I went to the GP wilth the other breast 'cos would not have found it...but more later and it could have gone either way.
Jenji
xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jenji
Any news yet? Just read a good news post under 'Have I got breast cancer?' It is so uplifting to hear good news. I hope you are out celebrating! X

Hi ThinLizzie and everyone who is so supportive on here
I wore a soft non-wired sports bra which really helped to support it so it didn't pull. Today, six days later, the bruise is yellow and fading so that feels good.
My appointment is at 1.45 and just now I have been looking at all the benign breast conditions it could possibly be! Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst.
Thank you for the handhold...much appreciated...
I will be back later
Jenji
xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Zuleika and Jenji
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Zuleika, I guess it doesn't matter which way the biopsy is done, it will result in bruising... Good to know that it could be all OK. It does help to hear that others found it not so bad. I am such a big sissy, but I guess it is the anticipationg that is the worst. (I do feel awful fretting about a biopsy when others have had much more serious operations. Gotta get a handle on this!)
Jenji, hope you feel better now. I am sorry it was not so great for you. Thanks for letting me know that the breast swells a bit after the biopsy. Did you wear your normal bra or did you opt for a sports or genie bra? Mine is underwired and I am not sure it will be comfortable if my breast swells a bit. My sports bra is a crop top one (which I battle to get on now!) so I guess that won't work. I saw Tesco offers some sports bras at a good price, so may invest in one... How long does the bruising take to come out? My husband is convinced that ice on an injury helps the bruising to come out and therefore to heal faster. Hopefully an ice pack will do that for the breast after a biopsy. What time today do you find out the results? Here's hoping that it is all ok. I hold on to the belief that the odds are still in our favour! Let us know how it goes. I shall be holding your hand virtually...
ThinLizzie
xx

Hi ThinLizzie
This was what I had last week at KCH London...I wouldn't go on your own if you can possibly help it...it takes a while and you might feel a bit fragile afterwards. I was very tender for a few days. The worst bit was taking off my dressing 2 days after the procedure. I had it done on Friday, felt very euphoric over the weekend because it was over then it hit me on Monday.
Strategies...look after yourself with whatever comforts you. I used cold flannels rather than ice but what you suggest sounds great and worth trying.
I wore a loose supporting bra which helped. My breast was like a little balloon for a while but when the bruising came out that got better.
I felt tired (but that might be just me) so I rested and listened to music/meditated.
I talked to people who I knew wouldn't give me platitudes and tomorrow I find out the results. I have gone into emotional numb state now...hope it lasts!
Big hug 'cos you might only want a little one after the biopsy for a few days
Jenji
xxx

Hi not sure if this helps, but I had ultra sound biopsies x3 in the breast and x2 in the armpit. I drive home and was fine. I had a lot if bruising for a few weeks, but didn't do anything, just let nature take its course. It was fine and not painful at all.
good luck
Z x
Guest user
Not applicable

Biopsy and bruising - what helps?

I am awaiting an appointment for an MRI guided biopsy. It will be in London (2-3 hours away from where I live). I have been reading up on what to expect. One of the possible side-effects is bruising (quite severe for some and I bruise easily, so slightly worried). I also read that an ice pack will help reduce bruising and soothe pain. Obviously it will not be ultimate to wait until I get home before applying the ice pack. I investigated Kool n Soothe Ice-Eeze packs, which look to me like it will be just the ticket. It is portable, easily activated when needed and stays cold for up to an hour.

Has anyone used this or something similar to help with bruising? Can it be applied directly to the skin?
Any other suggestions to help reduce after-effects of the biopsy?
Thanks
ThinLizzie
Ps. If you have experience of this type of biopsy, will it be ok for me to go by myself? It will involve a train journey and a couple of transfers on the underground, which I am normally nervous about but quite capable of doing.