Biopsy and under arm biopsy

My 42 year old daughter went to the breast clinic today after being referred by the doctor becuase of a lump. 

She has previously had cysts which have been drained and there is no history of bc in the family, although plenty of other sorts.

This time she had a mammogram and then was called back in for a different mammogram and then had an ultra sound. I was with her during the ultrasound and the radiologist  said the lump didn’t seem like a cyst so they would do a biopsy and at the same time take a biopsy from under her arm (which I assume was her lymph nodes?)

She is being very positive and doesn’t think it’s anything to worry about but I’m not so sure. The fact that they took a sample from under her arm worries me and the fact that the radiologist didn’t reassure her that it was probably nothing. I don’t know how to support her. I don’t want to reassure her that it’s nothing in case it is but at the same time I don’t want to worry her. I need to know, honestly please, what are the chances she has bc?

Hi Layla,

Inevitably, this is going to be an anxious time. Statistically, the usual outcome is that it’s Not bc, but the clinic will want to ensure they get to the bottom of what it is & this can only be finalised from the biopsy results. 

If on the off chance it is bc, then treatment is very good now & the sooner it’s dealt with the better, so your daughter is in the right place to get it sorted.

Waiting for results is always difficult and although easier said than done, carrying on as normal, distracting yourself from thinking about it & avoiding general googling of symptoms, can help.

You sound like you are being a great support to your daughter, do come back & chat if you need to.

ann x