Biopsy results tomorrow 50/50 - So scared!

Hi all, I have been dipping in and out of this forum all week.  My problem started about 4 weeks ago when I woke up one morning with breast pain and a creamy discharge.  I went to the docs who diagnosed mastitis (I’m 42 and havent breastfed for 16 years) and gave me strong antibiotics.  I finished the course but there was no change.  I went back and saw a different doctor who said he could feel a firm area down the side of my left breast in contrast to my right.  He gave me an urgent referral to the breast clinic.  I have been there before when I had a lump on my right breast that was looked at and deemed to be normal changes about 4 years ago.  The lump still comes and goes with my monthly cycle and I’m not worried about it.

I expected to be told the same or similar this time but the consultant said that he could feel a definite lump and he was worried about my inverted nipple.  I had a mammogram which showed a dense area but no lump, an ultrasound which showed a lump and a swollen lymph node. I then had 3 core biopsies taken from the lump and 2 from my lymph node.

I was starting to worry but not too much.  Then when we went into see the consultant again he said that the duct is blocked by something and that it is 50/50.  My mind went blank and I just couldn’t think of what I should be asking! 

Does this sound like bad news?  He told me he would make an appointment for a Thursday as he would have the results and his team meet on Wednesdays so they would be able to discuss my treatment before my appointment?  Does this sound like him trying to prepare me for bad news?

I’ve been on a sort of rollercoaster this week, i seem to flit between being calm and completely freaking out!  I’m trying to keep busy, I haven’t told my kids yet (16 and 18).

I know you will all say that the waiting is the hard part and I’m sure you are right but I can’t help thinking that they must have had a good idea as to whether it was or wasnt?

I’m just so scared.

Hi  I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.   To be honest I don’t think anyone can second guess what your consultant is thinking - he has said 50/50 so that seems to imply he doesn’t know himself whether it will be good or bad news for you and needs to wait for the biopsy results.  It is normal practice for them to get the results and then discuss at MDT meeting to agree any treatment you may need - they have to discuss them within the team so that its not just one person’s decison on what is best and the team covers the whole discipline of breast care services so that in itself is nothing to worry about.  Waiting is the very worst and I remember when I was waiting for mine I felt physically sick in the waiting area, thinking the very worse news and try to second guess the ‘looks’ or body language of anyone I came into contact with.   The good thing is that you will know tomorrow one way or the other - if its good then you can whoopee away along with many many other ladies who have had this worry and find out its not cancer - but if it is bad news at least you will know and won’t be torturing yourself anymore and you will have a clear treatment plan.  This will make you feel back in control and feel so much better about it all.   Good luck with your appt and please let us know how it goes  xx

Hi Foxy71

I am sorry to read that you have this worry, in addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your concerns. Our lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to the ‘Worried’ section of the site which you may find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank you ladies.

I’m just so tired, Ive been keeping a brave face on it as my children don’t know and my husband is rubbish at coping with me when I get upset!  He’s been great but its a standing joke in my family that he doesn’t “do” illness :-D 

I have all sorts of worries racing through my head.  I just know that something is not right. xx