Biopsy - what's it like?

I was very distressed about the biopsy, because I didn’t know what to expect, so I am posting this in the hope it might help someone else. I was very anxious and tearfull but the nurses were lovely. They held my hand while it was done. It took quite a long time to set up (mine was with ultra sound) and I had to lie very still in the right position with my arm above my head. They numbed the area, which stung a bit, just like at the dentists, and then (I didn’t look), they checked I couldn’t feel anything and prodded the needle into my breast. It didn’t hurt at all, but it felt a bit yicky, a sort of push and pull, like they were testing they got the spot. Then there is a loud click, which makes you jump a bit, even though they tell you not to jump. It didn’t hurt, and they asked me all the while if it hurt, and I should say if it did. They told me to have a cup of tea before I drove home, because I was so visibly upset, but I was okay after 15 minutes and I haven’t had to take any pain killers afterwards.

Mx

Hi mgt66

I had a core biobsey on the 2nd of may, i too was very anxouis, i am the worst woos in the world, i actually get sedated when i go to the dentist lol,  but for anyone who is awaiting one and is worried, honestly it was fine, small injection to numb you which did feel like a tiny scratch,  then they warn you it will make a noise and not to jump, then i paniched id jump, but didnt, i had five samples taken and it was all over, i focused on singing a nursery rhyme in my head, you might laugh but it helps me just zone out on concentrate on something else, iwas very bruised for a week , but walked out very proud of myself lol. I went back friday and had another biobsey to insert a titanium clip in center of tumour, and that was very managable to, i feel i wont be such a woos by the time i come to the end of my treatment lol

I too had a needle biopsy under ultrasound with a titanium clip inserted. It was incredibly straightforward. Literally just a catscratch to put the local in then felt nothing. First click made me jump but following 2 were not a problem. A little bruising but no pain afterwards.

I would like to reassure anyone who is going to have a planned biopsy not to worry. REALLY!