Birthdays!!

As my birthday is nearly over, i wondered whether others felt differently about their birthdays since DX?
They never used to mean much to me as i prob thought like alot of people i would live til in my 80’s.Yet today 47 and nearly 3 yrs since DX I was so excited and enjoyed opening pressies and feeling like a child again.
Had a convo with someone tonight and they said ‘oh your getting old’ I replied ‘thats brilliant’ then i went on to explain to them how once your Dx with this disease every birthday is a gift. If i reach 50, i am blowing savings on a huge party, and i will be delighted to be alive.
Yet i know things can very quickly change.
Rambling thoughts!!!
Rx

Hi Liverbird
I think as adults we make a fuss when it is someone else who is celebrating and take for granted our own birthday. Once cancer enters our world we look through different eyes, for me it is as if the world has been polished and things seem brighter, more vivid.
A smile from a stranger means more, the value of a response from a post on this forum I think we have gained some of the innocence of childhood that we lost in growing up. God you have got my thoughts rambling too.
A belated Happy Birthday.

Love Debsxxx

50 is a big year for me - 25th anniversay, 50th birthday and the end of my 5 year remission in that order.

I can’t wait to get to 50. I don’t dwell on the possibility of my cancer coming back now, I’m working towards being 50. I figure nothing could be worse than my 40s (for all sorts of reasons, not just BC).

I don’t like my 40’s either…it’s as if I’ve had to grow up and face the world head on - v scary stuff

I spent my birthday last November in hospital - nil by mouth!!! having a lumpectomy which was later to dx the bc.
So my birthday this year will be full of memories but a time to celebrate, and at least it wont be nil by mouth!!!

P.S. Although I was in hospital, one son travelled up from uni for the day and with my OH took me down to theatre giving me a kiss on the head as I went in.
The other son, also at uni, sent me flowers from the Isles of Scilly - my favourite place - so really it was a pretty good day.

Today I am forty,year and a half ago was not even sure I would see today,for my birthday I hired a stretch hummer and with some friends we went to wembley to see Madonna and got very drunk.Tonight I am off to a trendy wine bar with friends,tommorow I am going to France for the day with friends and Sunday I am having Sunday lunch with about eighteen of my relatives.I intend to have lots of fun and really celebrate.

For my 45th birthday, my first since diagnosis, I went with my sister to Italy!
Much better than my 44th, when I had a camera up my backside! Don’t ask!