Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bladder control and chemo??

49 REPLIES 49
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Bladder control and chemo??

now skirts - that's a good idea - have been in trousers since stopped working and shoulder op's made me a bit uncoodinated...... but guess what.... I will need to shave legs now as hair is regrowing after last chemo and because current chemo does not seem to effect hair growth -now where is that shaver that's not been used for over a year?!!!!! - a small step back to being more feminine.....

Ninja

Yes, please, Hips. I did have such a skirt but it wore out. Fab for travelling.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had one problem moment at night in bed on first feccing then ok most of the time. I too am a sneaky pee er. Became accustomed to it after travelling round SE Asia on local transport. Minimum 6 hour journey in bus with only one stop for a pee at the side of the road on steep mountains. Well rehearsed and regular stop. Into the bushes, men go one way, women the other, all polite and waiting their turn. I soon learned the value of the long slim skirt. The top is folded right over the front making it appear slim but easy to squat in and take a pee and no one can see anything. I quickly had two made up for me and still have them ready for action. Look great too. I can let you have the pattern.

Guest user
Not applicable

oh ,those comments have really made me laugh!and yes,i had really bad leakage after my chemo but i have 4 kids,it only lasted a couple of days after though but they didnt warn me!

DJ007

Another update My lawn is lush, no ill effects at all. Not sure if I'm pleased or disappointed!
Dx

emmy

Has anyone been told that Arimidex also does the same thing to your bladder? My pharmacist tells me her mum and sister both take them and this is a known side effect, I was surprised but grateful 'cos although I have been taking the tablets for 4 months no one told me that before!all car journeys to rads ended up with me flying to loo!!! something to look forward to for the next almost 5 years!At least I now know why!

finty

Fran, mine are so used to it they do it automatically.

Guest user
Not applicable

Advice - forest walks are much more relaxing than moorland walks as there are trees to shelter behind for a quick visit - apart from finding the uphill to the moors challenging with low energy with chemo this is an added reason to stay in the valleys!
Do you dog walkers put your dogs on watch alert like I do with my OH when visiting a tree???

angielav

Yes, maybe I should change that now!? I didn't think about it at the time, it's the first part of my surname ...
Plenty of sausage rolls left over if anyone fancies one ...

ChoccieMuffin

I'm sorry angie, but I can't help sniggering at the fact that your username ends with "lav"...

Ok, I'll get me coat...

angielav

Try peeing on the lawn the day after chemo ... not that I've tried it ... Though maybe I should start peeing in the garden to stop next doors cats using it as a public toilet!

DJ007

Quick update. Prob too soon to draw conclusions, but lawn seems healthy! 🙂

Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

Been having such a cackle at these no holds barred threads!

ChoccieMuffin

Hahaha, you definitely need a Shewee, a lot less obvious for when the joggers come along!

finty

Oh good. I've learned the hard way not to keep my car keys in my trouser pockets when I'm doing it though!

ChoccieMuffin

Finty, I'm glad I'm not the only one that christens trees on dog walks!

DJ007

There are things at which I do draw the line! Anything more than a qp requires planning, complete seclusion and, preferably, a small trowel!

finty

I'm a very accomplished outdoor pee-er, can do it in seconds, although I have been caught out by the occasional jogger appearing rather sooner that I expected. Barely a day goes by when I don't have a quick pee behind a tree in the woods. (Always makes me smile when my dogs insist on marking it themselves afterwards!)

I'm simply in awe of the class of Paula Radcliffe though - with her famous mid-marathon comfort break - which I understand was not a wee!

Guest user
Not applicable

GIJH - just as well we are all here to help each other as clearly this issue is of concern to come of us!! CM - I'm glad someone else is using a camping "potty" too - good to know others are sometimes creeping around their tents at night and have found ways of coping.

Anyway am much more under control now - stopped drinking so much decaf green tea yesterday on advice on this thread - or maybe it's just the timing after the chemo.... Anyway - not need to water the plants today!!!

GIJaneH

DJ _ have I been tempted? NO! Too public!! However, the chemo has made my bladder very unreliable on the day of treatment and a few days afterwards - can't always get to the loo in time - Tenna Lady here we go! It wears off and I gradually get back to "normal" (which is not fantastic!) I mentioned it to the chemo nurse after the first time, and she said "not heard that one before"... no help there then!

Ninja

ANOTHER?
lol

Guest user
Not applicable

I fear another moderator post to my inbox about appropriateness.....

Guest user
Not applicable

ahhhh yes, I've got weeds in our flagging on the front street of our house that need killing off - see if I can pee in straight lines 😄 LOL LOL

DJ007

I'll fess up - all your encouragement has spurred me on and I'll now be waiting to see if a brown patch develops!

Guest user
Not applicable

Sod the lawn, I've got lots of weeds in my garden, could I have found a new weed killer ? I'll let you know! if I'm brave enough for a bit of alfresco!
T

Guest user
Not applicable

Ragamuffin - you know I'm kind of really tempted now. YOu know when you see a big red button that says "DO NOT PRESS" 😄

ChoccieMuffin

Yup, me too, and have always had a sensitive bladder. I blame my mother for poor toilet training and giving into my attention-seeking cries of "I need a wee!" So now I am dreadful. I was on Detrusitol a few years ago but didn't like the dry mouth SEs, so gave it up and put up with symptoms.

Chemo definitely irritated the bladder a bit, and it's listed as a SE for one or other of the FEC mix. Macmillan website is very good for the descriptions of the different chemo regimes.

As for camping, I also hate the need to pee thing. At least blokes can just hop out of the tent and find a tree! So instead I generally bring a "pee pot" with me (a plastic pot of the right kind of capacity with lid, very clearly labelled to avoid unwanted confusion) and that was what I've used. Then empty discreetly in the morning. Keep said pot outside of the sleeping compartment, most tents have an inner and outer layer. That does, of course, require you to be on VERY good terms with anyone you share a tent with! Fortunately that's only ever my lovely man and he's very tolerant...

Guest user
Not applicable

Am feeling better now - thanks all - bladder control is fine when laughing so that's a positive!!! Must investigate a SheWee as night time loo visits are my main "hate" about camping - love all other aspects. Thanks "outdoor" crowd for brightening up my day!

Yep some weeks are good and some not so good for control- what is the chemo doing!!

DJ007

As long as it isn't a cactus!

ragamuffin

Visions of El Katrano peeing on a pot plant had me laughing hysterically!

DJ007

Should we set up an experiment - my last tax was on Tues, so I bet there's still some in my system! Might be worth it's own thread?

Guest user
Not applicable

DJ - fantastic! I now have "an urge to go and pee on the lawn after chemo, just to see if it kills it?"

I've had FEC3 this morning so concentration will be good and strong...

I needed a giggle... thanks

Guest user
Not applicable

DJ says: "Call me weird, but does anyone else get an urge to go and pee on the lawn after chemo, just to see if it kills it?"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha brilliant.
DOnt have a lawn but wonder if I should have a bash at a pot plant, just to see 😄

Ninja

Me, too, but no horse, just outdoor lifestyle. I am the proud owner of a SheWee. It's great at night in a tent; I can use a pee bottle with it, just like the boys and don't need to get dressed to go outside in the pouring rain to pee.

DJ007

Ninja - I blame it on being an outdoors sort of girl, spending lots of time in fields with horses and no loo in sight, long walks ditto. Alfresco peeing comes quite naturally!

Ninja

OMG I hope we don't all start with Fish Odour Syndrome...

Ninja

DJ says: "Call me weird, but does anyone else get an urge to go and pee on the lawn after chemo, just to see if it kills it?"

I can see why your avatar is a pussycat!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Ninja what you said is so me, one min wee strong next clear, smelly and sometime it has like an oily film on it as well, I have taken to wearing tena lady at this time, cos it comes on so quick. And 3 times a night sound right too, I stopped drinking caffine and alcohol when I started chemo cos of sweats so I know that that not making it worse. I feel like one of those old wee smelling ladies you sometime see.

DJ007

Call me weird, but does anyone else get an urge to go and pee on the lawn after chemo, just to see if it kills it?

I have managed to resist - and I would only have done it after dark!
Dx

Ninja

Yes, have had an irritable bladder since starting chemo and need to pee often and it is often strong-looking wee even if I drink loads. Then spontaneously, it goes almost clear again. The colour/concentration seems to be out of my control.

Guest user
Not applicable

Yep know just what you mean Flinty about lack of control..... maybe we should mention it to Oncs instead of suffering and buying lots of pads (cheapest I've found are Sainsbury's basics at 14p!!) Has anyone asked a medic about this problem? I've always had a "sensitive bladder" that seemed to be hormone related so that might relate to your Tamoxifen issue - but not sure about the chemo except that chemicals might be causing muscles/values to "malfunction"; it's getting beyond a joke for me too which is why I felt I had to start this thread ...

Guest user
Not applicable

Ooooh, that's a different matter. I really would make a point of getting some help with that.

finty

I did have this during chemo - it got better, but it's back again with Tamoxifen. And not just urgency but less actual control as well - suddenly not finding the jokes about old ladies smelling of wee quite so funny!

supertrouper

I have had similar problems, never used to have to get up during the night before chemo - now I am up about 2 to 3 times. I stopped drinking coffee and tea straight after diagnosis. Now only drink water, and fruit juice and also some fermented fruit juice (cider ha!)

Guest user
Not applicable

Try dumping the caffine. All of it, tea included.
Made life far more comfy for me 🐵

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry to hear others are suffering too - but also "relieved"!! Yes "urgency" is a brilliant description Elttiks and it does sound as though I should mention it to Onc so thanks for the suggestion D. Yep, I had it with FEC - not too bad with TAX - and now I'm getting it with Vinorelbine.... better some days than others but not sure of the pattern re chemo timing yet so will need to monitor things. Maybe I should drink more water and less green tea....

Guest user
Not applicable

Yep I had that as well, was up and down all night during chemo. I was told to drink 2 litres of water following the chemo. Embarassingly I sometimes had problems knowing if I'd stopped having a tiddle. I mentioned it to my onc as I thought perhaps the chemo had damaged my pelvic floor or bladder but he just looked bemused. I swear it's not 100% now x

Guest user
Not applicable

fec made me feel some urgency. The sort of urgency as though you've been drinking alcohol with the uncomfy tingle feeling.
It did pass by fec 3.

DJ007

Hi
If you are getting cyclophosphamide - the C in FEC and CMF, it can have that effect. The advice is to drink plenty of water 2-3 litre per day. Do speak to your onc or BCN, according to the fact sheet I've got, if you are on a high dose, there's a drug that they can give you that can help prevent it.

Good luck
Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

Bladder control and chemo??

Ok the WIND topic has brought that issue out into the open - can I ask whether anyone else has bladder control problems when on chemo? Very irritable bladder keeps me running quickly and I'm wondering if others have the same problem?