Bleeding while on Tamoxifen

I’ve been reading all of the comments 're: bleeding while on Tamoxifen. I’ve been taking Tamoxifen for approx. Eight months. I was reluctant to take it due to potential side effects. After, masectomy and follow-up I started to take it. However, I keep passing blood. The first time it was dark red and alarming. After that it varies in coloration. I’ve had every test you can imagine. I’ve also had nodules appear in my thyroid. I feel like crap. I’m frustrated with being poked and prodded. The oncologist assures me the tamoxifen does not cause bleeding. I’ve had a complete hysterectomy (prior to BC diagnosis). All tests have returned normal…even after PC doctor discovered blood in my urine. I’m just convinced the tamoxifen is the culprit of the bleeding and overall “sick” feeling I am experiencing. I’m supposed to take Tamoxifen for five years. I don’t think that umm going to continue the tamoxifen.

Hi Shinydots, sorry you are feeling so rubbish ,is the blood in your urine?I know a lady who had a lot of bladder problems that were connected to Tamoxifen and which resolved when she stopped taking it .If you have had hysterectomy could you consider changing to Letrozole ?Its an absolute pain isn’t it having health problems caused by tablets that are supposed to stop health problems !

double bc diagnosed in May 2013. double mastectomy and Tamox thereafter. period stopped immediately then came back, then disappeared for a year. last year came back. nothing once more until this year last month and this month. I’m out of my mind with worry. everyone i have spoken to has given me a different answer. GP says NO BLEED with Tamox and suspects endometrial cancer ( GREAT!). Hospital nurse says it is normal. to see gynaecologist I have to wait for ever… so so fed up, tired and want to throw the towel in… just booked a private appointment to get someone to ACTUALLY listen and respond to my worries? can anyone help? It is exactly as my periods used to be once upon time.

Hi Ealing .It is probably nothing to worry about and it is true what the other ladies have said that some women have periods on Tamoxifen ,some don’t ,some have periods that are unpredictable ,but even so when you are on Tamoxifen should have been referred under 2 week rule for further investigation just in case . Tamoxifen can cause a number of womb related gynae issues (most non sinister e.g. polyps ) but it does need checking out .I have been through this recently and they did find something that needed treating and led to a hysterectomy .I am fine now but please follow it up to put your mind at rest .

Hi Ealing
Poor you worrying like mad, we all do, I started panicking when I didn’t have periods for 3 years then all of a sudden have come back but are not regular and only last 3 days and lighter. I spoke to my consultant and said this can happen. I’m due another period now and so far it’s late, you just can’t keep track of them now which is a little annoying, always got to carry something with you.

Hi I’ve had a worrying week I’m about 4 years post menopause and so no bleeding until I had an episode of 2 bleeds on wednesday , nothing since but feeling dragging. Been on tamoxifen for 3 years  start of October initially response was my womb wall thickened over twice it should be! I had a hysteroscopy and my uterus wall showed no abnormality thank goodness . Then I went for another scan after 6 months and my endometrium or uterus wall had gone back to normal size so I was discharged. 

All ok until this week and since I’ve had the bleed I’m sure my anxiety is making the dragging feeling worse! You just can’t help it though !! A couple of months ago I had a recall after my mammogram they had concerns over my other breast! Anyway after having the worst weekend since I had my diagnosis 3 years ago and drinking a lot of prosseco it was all ok just very dense and fibrous. 

Anyway just wondering if anyone has experienced this post menopause on tamoxifen? Thanks Jayne 

Hi Jayne,don’t blame you hitting the procesco !!! You do need to go back and ask them to have another look - not top of your list of things to do have another hysteroscopy I know ( not pleasant ) but Tamoxifen can cause changes to womb lining ,some begniyn some that need treating so don’t ignore it - I speak from experience !!!

I know there always seems to be something doesn’t there,cross one worry off the list ,another one gets added on!!! Let us know how you get on .