Blood Test for BC Screening now a real possibility!

Hi All,
I thought you would be interested to hear of an exciting new development in the possibility of using a blood test to screeen for Breast Cancer. It was on the front page of The Irish Times yesterday. I’ve posted a link below - hope it works.

Happy Christmas to All.

Katie x

irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1222/1224261109905.html

Very interesting report. Thanks for posting it.

An interesting article, however I’d be interested to know why existing BC tumour markers aren’t incorporated as part of the routine screening for ladies that have had Breast cancer in addition to mammograms and physical checkups? I asked my oncologist why it wasn’t used and was told it was introduced in the US but they stopped it as tumour marker levels can rise due to ‘other factors’ as well as BC and it caused additional anxiety to the women being tested. I’m sure there is truth in this, but being sceptical, I also wonder whether there is an increased ‘cost’ implication for earlier intervention rather than waiting until ‘physical symptoms’ manifest themselves?

I’d be interested to know if anyone else is screened for BC tumour markers as part of routine check-ups or has any other information regarding there use?