Re: Blood pressure taking with PICC line

Lower picc line arm or legs, duly noted, thanks Tolliebelle! xx

catzooo

Hmmmm. Next time I will insist on using lower arm or leg. Thanks Ladies
Tolliebelle

Hi

I have lymphodema in my left arm and now have Picc in right arm!! I had BP taken the other week in my right wrist?  Although when I had surgery they did use my leg very wierd sensation!!

catzooo

Been google'ing. Fund out that the PICC line arm must not be covered with cuff as it would squash the line, compressing the vein which can cause a blood clot.
Should the nurses not know this?
Next time will insist on using a leg
elma55

Hi catzooo, very good question - I know it's important that the ANC affected arm isn't compromised in any way because of the risk of lymphodema and infection.  I believe it is possible to measure BP using the legs but I'm not sure how accurate it is - maybe your BCN would know.  Some of the cuffs can be jolly tight, no wonder you're bruised, poor thing - I would definitely check with another health professional. 

Lucy_BCC

Hi catzoo

In addition to asking your query here you are welcome to call our helpline (0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2)  or use our 'Ask the Nurse' service, you can read more about these support services here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Best wishes

Lucy

catzooo

Blood pressure taking with PICC line

Quick question - I have a PICC Line in my right arm and have had MX and ANC on other side.
What is the correct way to take my blood pressure?
I understand the MX side should not be used due to risk df lymphoedema. But squashing my PICC line under the arm cuff hurts and surely could damage the line?
Nurses seem to ask me which side I prefer. Well, I'm no nurse, surely there is a protocol?
I now have a nicely bruised arm from a squashed PICC line.