Bone Mets

Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer and secondary bone cancer in Sept 2014 following months of pain in my back which left me unable to walk and continued misdiagnosis by my GP. Anyway when finally diagnosed after changing GP I had radiotherapy to the spine and have been on Tamoxifen since. My mobility has improved though muscles are still weak. I have pain in the middle of my back and hip, am being advised to have a pin inserted in my hip to strengthen the joint. The idea of surgery scares me, I am also having a monthly bone injection denosumab. I find it difficult to distinguish bone pain due to the cancer and pain due to the weakness of my muscles. The future still seems scary, I don’t know if the pain will improve if I will be strong again, I can’t even pick up a bag of sugar. Most days I am ok but then it hits me the pain and uncertainty and I don’t know how to deal with it. I feel I should be stronger.
Is anyone able to advise. x

Hi, do consider the surgery. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and bone mets when my hip fractured twelve years ago. I had a hip replacement with a long pin. It’s been trouble free. Take Care. X

Hi Flowery I know how you fel about the aches and pains not knowing what is causing them. Luckily I have no pain from my mets (at the moment) but when I get say a backache I instantly think is it the cancer or is it sitting down more as I am not so mobile now or just plain old age!! Have you talked to one of the Breast Cancer Care nurses? I am sure they will be able to help you. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi Sally and welcome to the BCC forums

You may find some of the following support and information on our secondary breast cancer pages helpful including our ‘Live chat’ which is held on Tuesday evenings 8.30-9.30 , here’s the links:

breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Please also feel free to call and talk any concerns through with our helpliners, they are on hand 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support for you

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Sally, welcome to the forum, i was also last year with mets to spine, ribs and hip, it was a massive shock and like you i thought my number was up!! I am stable at the minute and on tamoxifen, denosumab and zoladex.
Hugs J x x