Bone Scan

Hi,
Been to the hospital today, and doctor says I have to have a bone scan as I am on arimidex, can someone tell me what happens please, as I hope I don’t have to go in a tunnel cos I suffer from claustrophobia…help!!!

Hi landlady,

If it is full bone scan then please dont worry - it isn’t a tunnel. More like a polo ring passing over your body very slowly. Usually you have an injection then have to disappear for 2-3 hours. For me that is an opportunity for retail therapy at local shopping centre :slight_smile: You will be told to drink about 6 cups of fluid - can be water, tea whatever - I asked if I could go to the local pub and oblige but that didnt go down too well!

But I wonder if they mean a dexa scan which is to check your bone density.There is a risk with arimidex that the drug can cause a loss of bone density and increase the risk of fractures. For most going through the menopause that is a problem anyway, so anything that shuts down the oestrogen production will have that effect. The dexa bone scan will be to give them a baseline so that that can monitor if this is happening to you. It isnt something to worry about - because they will give bisphosphonates to strengthen bones if this happens. I havent had a dexa scan myself but gather it is very simple, and I am sure others can explain that to you.

Dawnhc

I had a DEXA scan as I have started Arimidex. It is very easy. A piece of equipment is placed over various parts of the lower half of your body to measure the bone density in different places. It is not a large piece of equipment and does not touch you so there should be no problems with claustrophobia.

Unfortunately for me it showed that I have osteoporosis so I will be on calcium, vitamin D and bisphosphonates. I had no idea there was a problem so at least it has been discovered before I started to get broken bones. And to think that this time last year I thought I was a perfectly healthy person!

All the best
Anne

i also have a bone scan on Wednesday. I had one when I was first diagnoised (FEB 07) and since being on Arimedex I have very bad back and sciatica pain down 1 leg. On my first yearly the onc said to have a bone scan just to 'cross the t’s and dot the i’s. I had a disc removed 6 years ago so thinking that the chemo has attacked a weak area. I would be gobsmacked if they find anything as i’m sure it is sciatica.
the bone scan is exactly how Dawn describes it - you should try and keep away from babies for 24 hours (no close cuddles) first time around I had my other hald with me and we did go to the pub where i did have a few ciders - doc was happy for the drink to be SOME alcohol!!! this time i’ll be on my own so it’ll be off to the shops.
I haven’t had a dexa scan as yet I’m still waiting for that, i was told the waiting list is about 3 months - is that normal???

I have had a bone scan and its not that bad. You have an injection and then go away and drink loads of liquid, which can be tea, coffee, water anything. You then go back
and lie down while this machine passes over you starting from your head and then goes down to your feet and then underneath you. I shut my eyes and just relaxed as
you have to keep as still as possible. It does not take long and they talk to you and
are really caring people. Dont worry, it sounds worse than it is.