Bone mets and yoga

Dear friends,

I would like to ask your opinions about exercise with secondary cancer especially when someone has multiple bone mets. I like to go back to my yoga routine. Does anyone has to suggest if good or dangerous? What are you doing?

Many thanks in advace for your time

Valia
x

Hi Valia, I can’t answer your question directly as I am a ‘primary’ girl. However I met a woman at a rehab exercise class who had bone mets and who found exercise positively helped her… she did spinning and some low impact aerodic classes, with some appropriate modifications for those parts of her skeleton that were weakened.

Hopefully someone who knows about yoga will be along soon. Have you asked the class leader? S/he should know what is safe or not safe for you to be doing, or at least be able to find out through the registered body they arer part of.

The genenral opinion is that 30 mins moderate exercise a day has a beneficial effect both in temrs of well-being and in reduction of drug side effects, so I think you are defintiely onto a good thing here.

Hi Valia
I have been living with bone mets for nearly 5 years now and during that time have continued to walk strenuously, go to Pilates, Body balance and yoga. No problems at all. As long as you are mobile enough and listen to your body (as everyone should do taking up exercise after an absence) then I dont see any harm. If in doubt speak to your GP or Onc but there’s no reason that bone mets should hold you back :wink:
Nicky x

Thank you girls! Your replies are very helpful and mean a lo to me that they are people out there who understad me!
RevCat- I have seen the info about 30mins exercise/5 days per week and that’s why I ask! I try my best to keep myself fit and fight the monster. I spoke to the teacher and advised to avoid bendings. I found somewhere in the web that I should avoid full bendings ( touching my toes with my fingers) and big twists as it can cause cord compression. Thank you for your lovely message and your suggestions.
Nicky- what an inspiration you are! I go swimming and do some cycling in the gym occasionaly but I have missed the yoga which I used to do regularly before I became ill. Keep up the hard work Nicky. Thanks so much for your time to answer to my question.

Love,

Valia
x

Hi Valia
I was diagnosed with bone mets in Jan 2010. I have continued with swimming,cycling and yoga. With each activity I am aware of my body and do not push myself beyond what I feel comfortable with. My Consultant advised me to stop high impact sport so I have stopped running . He otherwise supports what I am doing. When I feel tired and fatiqued I have no choice but to have a break.
I attend the Penny Brohn Cancer Care In Bristol and they run a weekly Haitha Yoga class.
With all of the anxiety of living with this unkind disease I find physical activity helps me to keep sane, gives me energy and keeps me fit. In September my husband and I went cycling in the Loire valley to celebrate me finishing chemo.
I have aslo asked the Oncology Centre to install bike stands for their patients and visitors !!! to encourage people to cycle if they are able.
Esha

Esha,
Thank you for your reply.It’svery helpful.I alsohave attended Penny Brohn Cancer Care and found one of the most helpful things I have done during my journey with cancer. People there are amazing and the time I had to focus on myself, see me and the disease was very beneficial.
Unfortunately I leave quite far away from Bristol-I live in Winchester. I have never been a confident biker so I am not cycling these days to avoid falls. I go swimming and cycling in the gym :slight_smile: I would agree with you physical activity keeps us sane!

Thanks again for your reply which was very reassuring and helpful.

Merry Christmas and all my best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year 2013
Valia

Hi i was also rediagnosed 2010 with mets in spine and chestwall and though i have not cycled i do go swimming and do 20 lengths then i know i have to rest i also walk 4 to 5 mile a day usually after i have done my housework i think cycling would make my back ache as i bending forward for any length of time does as i am not experienced enough to say about yoga i would still give it a go and see how i got on and only do moves i felt comfortable with
kay