Bone scan

Hi ladies,i have had a C T scan which they say showed no evidence of mets at the start of chemo.As my lymph nodes are effected,and i have’nt had op yet i can’t help feeling that it has spread, the thought is constantly there.All this worry started when i had my 1st chemo, i had a lower dose on the first 2 fec then the 3rd was double the amount.i asked the chemo nurse and she said it was to do with my liver function, which is now i’m told normal. I had seen the doctor the day before my treatment and he said nothing about the dose being higher. I wish they had said as this has caused extra worry.AT what point do they suggest a bone scan, as i’m feeling really anxious and crying all the time. LESLEYX
PS Sorry for rambling but the stress is getting me down.

Hi Lesley,so sorry you are feeling like this.I can remember feeling exactley the same as you and it is a horrible scary feeling.They probably gave you a lower dose of chemo because of liver function but now that liver test is normal than can give you higher dose.And your ct scan was clear so thats good :)I had ct scan but never had bone scan my oncologist said that they can usually tell by blood test if something is wrong.Do you have a good bc nurse you can tell your worries to.Or you could ring the BCC help line.sending you best wishes love mel xx

forgot to mention that the hospital I was under only did scans if 4 or more nodes are involved or if bloods show something.
love Mel xx :slight_smile:

Hi melly2, thankyou for you’re reply to my post, just wish this anxiety would go away.All the ladies on here have been great with info as they’ve been through it. I feel so useless at the moment, like a rabbit in the headlights. love lesley

Hi Lesley, sorry you’re having such a worrying time. I think any of us with positive nodes have the same thoughts - it’s very scarey but it sounds like you are getting good attention from your hospital team, if you feel you can I would do as Melly suggests and phone your BC nurse or the helpline here for expert advice, they may be able to explain things in detail to you, once you understand what’s happening I think it’s easier to deal with. It’s the unknown that is the scarey bit. You take care and let us know how you get on. Di

Hi Lesley

As your fellow users have suggested, it may help to give our helpline a call where you can talk your concerns over with someone in confidence, the team are there to support you and offer a listening ear. The number is 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care
Lucy

Hi. I was given CT and bone scan, but did have a very level of lymph involvement (gotta laugh at that euphemism) at 27/38, so that maybe why.

Hi Lesley
I think its the uncertainty that does our heads in, isn’t it? I have found in the past (13 years) that a chat with the breast care nurse can make sense of things that are bothering me and it really makes a difference. I’m seeing her on Monday for exactly that.
Being frightened at times is only realistic in the position we are all in - please don’t feel that that makes you useless. Everyone needs support at times, otherwise this forum wouldn’t exist.
I hope you soon get the reassurance you need
take care of yourself
love monica xx

sorry you are feelin like this. As Melly says, bloods can show, so ask your ONC next time to explain your bloods. My ONC doesn’t do scans, says they are only a snapshot in time and doesn’t believe in putting the patient through the anxiety of waiting (unless he believes there is a need to do one). That said, I had a bone scan yesterday as been having pain in leg, bloods are good and ONC re-assured there is nothing sinister. I finished chemo in Nov. Radiographer said there is nothing sinister on scan, but I will be more relieved when the ONC tells me it is ok. I had 4 nodes involved and it freaked me out from the start. I, like you imagined all sorts. I had a full clearance post chemo and there were no more involved. Chemo done it’s job? May never have been more than 4, who knows? You don’t say whether you are having a clearance at the end of chemo??? Remember chemo is mighty strong stuff…

Hi jayney, thankyou for you’re post, i’m going on the 1st feb to see about what they plan to do,all i really know is that i’ll be having a mastectomy with no recon,that was on my notes when i saw the reg before my last tax.I’ll keep you posted. Lesleyx

Hi Lesley,

When I was diagnosed they did blood tests,chest x-ray,a bone scan and ultrasound of stomach. They did bloods before each round of chemo and that was it til after the mx and total lymph clearance on same side (surgeon saw suspicious nodes). Thought everything was ok but then they found the bone scan results that had gone astray for 5 months and found bone mets that had always been there although chemo did reduce them. I now have bone scans every 6 months to a year and bloods every 3 months because I’m on continuous treatment. I’ve never, ever had a CT or MRI even with 12/22 nodes infected after chemo. When my partner asked the onc if she would consider doing either, she said only if I felt ill, was having pain or bloods showed anything suspicious. She’s looked after me really well so far so I’m willing to trust her on that one. I was diagnosed in July 07 and apart from a cold I’ve just picked up, feel really well.

I think every onc/surgeon/hospital have differing views so try not to read too much into whether you get certain scans or not. It’s just a matter of you being aware of changes/pain/discomfort that last for more than 2 weeks and then see about tests. That’s the other guideline my onc works off.

Good luck with everything, Liz

Hi,
I had a bone scan and CT scan after my dx and lumpectomy in Feb 2008, which is routine in our area for everyone with BC. I am coming up for 2 years since dx and being sent for bone scan and CT scan again just as routine. I double checked and he said no reason just routine. I had a small ER+, PR+ grade 2 tumour, no nodes and still being seen every 12 weeks. I finished chemo and then rads on 31 Dec 2008. He says he likes the full picture. Other oncs say different things. I would love to hear 2 oncs talking about a patient, I wonder if they could ever agree. i am sorry you have so much worry and I would say a lot is still the shock and fright. I often say how the hell did I get cancer out loud? All I can say is you get so involved in the treatment that the shock dulls a little.You need to have faith in your onc and if you don’t then ask to go to another one if possible. Second opinions are always an option
Hugs
Lily x

Hi Guys

I too had CT and bone scan and this is routine in my hosp. I was utterly terrified because it was in one lymph node but there scans were clear. It does seem that different hosps have different policies.

Julia xx