Bones, lung and liver.

Has anyone got secondaries in bones, liver and lungs? I was first diagnosed with bc in July 2000 when I was 44 and went through chemo and radiotherapy after which I was told that I was clear as it had not reached my lymph nodes. I was convinced that it would not come back so imagine my horror at the beginning of the year being told that my bad back was due to secondaries in my bones. After more tests, tumours were found in my liver and lung. I have a radiotherapy and chemo which has shrunk the tumours and am now having herceptin.

I have always been positive but now when a future social occasion is mentioned I wonder whether I will still be well and able to attend. How do others cope with this?

xx

Hi pegrum,

so sorry to hear your news. It just goes to show how fickle this disease is - no matter how good your prognosis there are just no guarantees. My first dx was in 1990 - chemo/rads no surgery and thought not to have got into lymph nodes. But after 5 years it came back, then a few more times! But in 2002 it spread extensively to my bones - I had exhausted all chemos at that time and was found to be her2 positive and put on herceptin. I do not have it in any other organs - but the herceptin stopped it in its tracks - had many lumps in neck, collarbone and chest area but none returned. It is good news that your chemo shrunk the tumours and I hope herceptin is the success for you that it has been for me. I know what you mean about not feeling able to even think about future events. I couldn’t even bring myself to buy new clothes etc - thought what was the point. But as you get some good time I hope you will begin to feel it is possible to hope for more and go on to look forward to a possible future, with things to celebrate and enjoy.

love
Dawn

Hi pegrum,

I have secondaries in the lung, bone and chest wall. I am lucky that I am very well in myself and the only
illness I feel is the treatment side effects.
I have just celebrated my 40th and I was dx 7 years ago with bc then just over 3 years ago with secondaries.

I have been to china, I learnt to ride a motorbike (after falling off and breaking my leg) and just made the most of every moment I can.

It does get easier and I have always thought to myself ’ I’m not going anywhere’
In saying that I have some fantastic friends that all have secondaries and who do really well so we are strong and possitive for each other and I had also seeked
other support in terms of alternative therapies and a counselor.

You will find it easier as time goes on,
but wishing you strength and courage until you get there.

It is so hard when your secondaries return. I’m one of those nightmare people that you don’t want to know about as my cancer has spread so fast. I have it in my liver, lungs, bones and lymph system since sept 06. I’ve done loads of things and made sure I’ve left good memories for my family.
It takes time to get used to any diagnosis and to get your head round it. I use the forums and friends as support as well as family. I also now go to the hospice for alternative therapies which makes me feel better.
Hope your treatment works well and come back and ask any question or rant and rave and we’ll be here to support you and in turn in the future you’ll be able to support others.
All the best
Kate

Thank you for all your comments, I feel a lot more postive now. I’m hoping to go back to work soon and get back to a ‘normal’ life again.

Val xx

Hi Val

like kate says its a shocker - I first had my primary in 2003 and it came back in 2007, it must have been more of a shock for you after 3 more years in the clear. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Its difficult - it gets easier - but its still is difficult. I am at work and leading a pretty full life even on my second chemo now. Not sure I can keep up with work but for the moment it certainly provides diversion and keeps the money rolling in, There are some get togethers here that you might find helpful, and there are lots of lovely women here who are very knowledgeable and supportive…lots of people having herceptin and doing really well on it.

take care
cathy

keep us informed how you are getting onm

Hi Pegrum,
So sorry to hear your news but i am glad you’ve found your way here. Everyone’s lovely - full of good advice, support and some wicked senses of humour! I have the same difficulty thinking about future events - all the talk of the 2012 Olympics kept setting me off…
Just to elaborate on what Cathy said, we are having a secondaries meet up in London on Thursday 25th Sept near St Paul’s, if you are able or interested? Only four of us at the last count, with liver secondaries, although we have opened it up to people with other secondaries too. You’d be really welcome (tho I have no idea where you live). It is lovely to actually meet people in the flesh - makes chatting on here even more like talking to old friends.
By the way, I have liver secondaries - diagnosed March 07 at the same time as primary diagnosis. I seem to be doing well on Herceptin and tamoxifen. Chemo finished last November and I’ve just had a repeat scan showing no change.
Love Jacquie

Hi Pegrum,

I was dx with breastcancer in 07. They found 2ndaries in my liver then. Had FEC which shrunk the tumours, but they came back, then had Taxotere and Xeloda, both didn’t work and last scan showed it’s now in my bones and lungs as well. When they first tell you it’s as if you sink into a deep hole, but after a while (with the help of some lovely ladies on here) I made the decision to keep fighting this whatever it takes. You do get “black” moments where you think is it worth it. The answer to that: yes it is. My way of dealing with social events is to tell myself, of course I will be here next year, I will see my boy’s 4th birthday, I will be here to wrap my kids Xmas presents, this thing won’t beat me. I know it will in the end,but in the meantime I’ll put up a good fight.

love Peggy