Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boney Mets - Bone Biopsy???

5 REPLIES 5
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Boney Mets - Bone Biopsy???

Dear Anne,
I have read somewhere the Her 2 status can change from the primary to the secondary, which is why that I am keen for them to be able to test it properly. Also my original status was not definite. They tested it here, and it was 3+ and then sent it to Switzerland as I was doing a clinical trial from there and they did the FISH test, where it came back 3 - !! So who was I to believe?

I have been on Tamoxifen for the last 6 years - still taking it.
Had Zoladex for 2.5 years. Resulted in no periods for 3 years, but they came back.

Had 12 rads earlier this month to reduce spine tumour and fry my ovaries permanently.

Am about to start weekly Taxol and Avastin.
The whole thing sucks.

Wishing you well.
Let me know how you are getting on.
Penny

Hiya Penny

My primary was ER+, PR+ and HER2-
Onc told me that this was 'good' as is less aggressive.
I was dx with boney mets in Aug 07 and started on bisphosphonates pretty soon after - along with Tamoxifen and Zoladex.

I had repeat scans in January 08 - which showed quite a lot of spread. Blood levels were still showing pre-menopausal despite the Zoladex.

So, in April 08, I had my ovaries out and have just transferred to Arimidex.

There are no bone or ct scans scheduled which has miffed me a bit - because how will they be able to tell if its the Tamoxifen that didnt work or the Arimidex. There is nothing to compare.
They are however arranging a bone density scan.

I seem to remember someone else on this forum saying that they were being treated for one type as per their original dx, but in fact, the secondary was a different dx. I dont know who this was though.

It is worrying me - at how fast the C spread - when it was supposed to be less aggressive iykwim.
Onc said that it is not certain which type C it is - they are only 90% sure. Great hey!

My mind is working overtime again!!

Thank you for the info - you'd think that we'd all had enough of needles!!!!!

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Anne, I had a bone biopsy from my tail bone last month.
It was a CT guided needle biopsy so that they can check that they are in the right place.
At first they just gave me local anaesthetic. But it was still hurting me and I was worried about nerve damage, so I think that made it worse. So they gave me IV sedation and pethidine. Suddenly it seemed to be over very quickly and any pain was very distant. The recovery was fine. There is not even a scar. And I had a few days of no back pain after the procedure. Although it did return.

My only regret is that the idiots did not take enough cells to be able to test whether or not my tumour is Her 2 pos. or neg. So either I have to do another one or my onc. is assuming that I am neg. as I was for the primary.

So make they take enough material.
Good luck,
Penny

Thanks for the info, Ruby.

Just having an argument about an insurance policy - and if it comes to it, just wanted to know what was involved.

Cheers

Anne xx

Hi Anne

I had a bone marrow and bone biopsy. I'm not sure if it's the same thing but basically you can have it with either lots of local anaesthetic or with light sedation and local anaesthetic. I was adamant that I was having sedation and local and I don't remember anything about it. I do not believe in pain if there is a way to avoid it especially after all I've been through. I was a little stiff and sore after but basically it was pain free. When I woke up which was around 3/4 hour later, I was taken down to the chemo lounge to recover there for an hour or so and I just dozed. I went home after and was absolutely fine and even went to a dance class that evening.

Ruby xxx

Boney Mets - Bone Biopsy???

Hi Folks

Long story to explain the reason why, but has anyone had a bone biopsy?
What does it involve? General Anaesthetic? (sp?), day case? recovery?

Cheers

Anne xx