376332posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Club

Barton

Re: Book Club

Oh Waffles! I know that feeling! I'm hoping I will remember it by then, too! Chemo brain? Yup.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi Barton,

I'm about a third of the way through Inspector Chopra and am really enjoying it. I'm trying to just read a little each day on the bus to and from work as I'm afraid if I finish it too soon I'll have forgotten too much about it by the 10th May. 

Best wishes xxx

Barton

Hello Carolyn, glad you like the shampoo! I don't use anything else now, and, although it is quite expensive, the bottle lasts ages.

Yes, let me know when you can make it for coffee - don't want to hound you!

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hiya ..looking forward to starting the book when I get it. Just finished an old Marian Keyes book ( my usual trash)
Forgot to say that ojon shampoo u let me try was lovely and I'm sure I've not had so many floaty hairs this week. Will get some.
Look forward to a coffee ..maybe next week.
Hugs xxx
Barton

Hello natalie1, I don't read very fast, but I read often (morning and night, and lunchtime on work days) and usually for quite a long time when I do. It helps if I enjoy a book, too.

Hope you are enjoying it.

Carolyn, I'm sure you will enjoy it too. It's a good read. Hope your copy arrives soon.

Hugs. Barton.x (temporary teachers pet!:-D)

Carolyn52

Oh no. I haven't even got my copy yet as its due in post from world books ..slow delivery but I will get through it by deadline.
rosie53

Wow Barton get you!!!! I got my copy yesterday and have done the first chapter 😀 I need to be quite while I read, if the TV is on or any noise around me I get distracted. 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Barton

Hello book buddies!

Not wishing to be a teachers pet, but I have already finished the Inspector Chopra book. It was not really a book I would have chosen for myself, but thanks, Waffles, for suggesting it - thoroughly enjoyed it and may actually get the next one in the series!

Just tried to do a Spoiler thingy, but it wouldn't work - it might be that I am trying to do it on my tablet (it has a terrible hissy fit when I ask it to do the simplest things on this forum). Never mind, I'll keep my thoughts to myself until 10th May.

SamanthaL, will start Longbourn soon.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

EJ81

Thanks Lizzy, that is really useful xx
Got myself a Kindle copy so I can start it when I go for treatment tomorrow xxx
Carolyn52

Mine hasent arrived yet but due later this week but hopefully I will soon get through it.
rosie53

Well my book has arrived today ladies, looking forward to reading it although it's a thick book......hope I can get through it for the 10th May deadline! 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Waffles

Hi Lizzy,
Many thanks for getting in touch about spoiler alerts I'm sure we will make good use of them. xxx
Barton

Oh, Lizzy, thanks so much! I had a feeling there might be a way! Excellent. Will take a screen print of your explanation so I can reference it again later if I need to.

Thanks again.

Hugs. Barton.x 

Lizzy_BCC

Hi Waffles, 

It is great to see this book club doing so well - what a great idea!

There is a way to hide potential 'spoilers' that you do not want to be revealed straight away. 

Firstly, click the smilely face covering his face in the text bar which you can see below.

Spoiler.png

You then will see a highlighted area appear in your text box. Make sure to type any content you do not want to be seen within the highlighted area.

Once you have then posted your message you will then have to click a drop down to be able to see the text. I have included an example below.

Spoiler

Type any content you do not want to be seen straight away in the highlighted area. 

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions just email me at moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Carolyn52

Ordered online too.I'm the same ..usually read rubbish so this might b good for me to try something else.
Happy reading ladies xx
rosie53

Morning ladies, well I've just ordered inspector chpora, will get tomorrow......This will be a mission for me I'm not not the world's best at concentrating!!

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Chocolates

H Ladies, I'm coming late to this thread but have just downloaded the first book on my iPad and should make the 10th May deadline.  Really excited about being in a book club.  Fab idea.  Just got to finish book I'm on and then I'll be with you.  Happy reading xx

Waffles

Hi SamanthaL,
Great to have you on board. I hope you aren't feeling so queezy now.I can totally understand why you weren't up to trawling through our old posts.
I think we can start reading The Inheritance of Inspector Chopra now and we can all aim to have it finished by a month today. 10th May.
Barton, maybe we should just be very careful in any comments we make on the book so as to not give the plot away. I suppose we can talk about characters and whether we are enjoying the story or not but try to avoid talking about the plot until we have all read it. If there forum moderators can come up with some way of allowing us to hide spoilers that would be great but I suspect they probably can't.
Happy reading everyone!
Best wishes xxx
SamanthaL

Sorry 'bout that ladies,

I now know what Lilly Livered means! I felt too queasy and didn't get to read all the posts thoroughly. 

1. I Will now get the unexpected inheritance of Chopra and get reading! Slowly mind.
  2. When do we start talking about it? 
EJ81

Ha ha waffles I couldn't see your reply when I typed mine - great minds think alike!. Longbourn is only £1.99 on Kindle right now so I. shall buy it ready for next month xxx
Barton

Hello SamanthaL, hope you are feeling better! Sorry we didn't wait for you, but as you can see we were all very excited by the book club idea and wanted to get started! I will try to do both books (haven't looked at your choice yet), but will have to finish my current read first. Shouldn't take me long, as I read often and a long time generally at a time.

As to how we review/discuss the books, some forums have a way of hiding spoilers or comments. Perhaps one of the Mods knows if this is possible, and, if so, how to do it? Mods?.....

Hugs. Barton.x

EJ81

It is the first one Janette - sounds like you've had a lovely day! As people have already bought the inspector chopra book shall we do that this month and Longbourne next? Xxx
Waffles

Hi Janette, 

It is the first one. Goodness, he is a fast writer the first one only came out in August.

Samantha, I hope you have recovered from your operation.   I had a look at the description for Longbourne. It looks great and I'm sure we would all like to read it. Would you mind if we read Inspector Chopra this month sd several of us have already bought it and we can read Longbourne next month as I think that way we can have enough time to enjoy each book properly. 

Best wishes xxx

rosie53

Sorry soo spelt that wrong....A few too many wines on our mum and daughter photo shoot!!! Xx

rosie53

Hi ladies, is it the first inspector chpora book? ? Just gone on amazon to order it and there's 3?? 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Waffles

Hi all,
Sorry Samantha. I tried to contact you and assumed you had gone offline. I hadn't realised you were in hospital. I'm not sure if you have been following the last day or so.
I'm a bit confused as to what our first book is now.Is it Longborne or The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra as I had suggested earlier. I know some ladies have already bought the latter and I have announced it on the main forum. I think two books are too many to manage in the month. I don't mind either way but we have to decide either way.
Best wishes xxx

SamanthaL

That was GREAT, not Egret! 😃
SamanthaL

Egret,

i chose Longbourne, because I really think folks will enjoy it, Pride and Prejudice is great, but you don't need to have read it to read Longbourne, most people will have seen the drama. 

EJ81

Hi Samantha. Sorry to hear you've had complications but I'm glad you're back. As you can see we loved the idea and were keen to get started. Perhaps people could say part way through the month if they think they'll manage both or if we want to save Longbourne for next month? It would be a shame not to do them both justice xxx
Carolyn52

Hiya Samantha .
Hope u r feeling better after your hosp stay but no place like home.
I have already ordered the first book choice and if I can will read the one you have chosen as well if I can during the month.
Hugs
SamanthaL

Sorry guys I was in hospital having a liver op and it was a tad more complicated than I bargain for.

jo Barton's book is available on iPad or kindle, as well as hard back and it's a good strong, but cosy read. 

SamanthaL

So the first book is Longbourne by Jo Barton.

it isa sister book to Pride and Prejudice.. So those who are adventurous can read both books. 

Waffles

Hi everyone,

How do you think we should do this? Should we discuss the book as we go along or should we just have a big discussion when the month's up. If we are discussing it as we go along it might give away the plot to those who aren't reading it as quickly. Any thoughts? xxx

Waffles

Hi Carolyn,

Hope the book is as good as all the reviews say! I'll put a post on the main forum to give everyone who isn't on the private forum a chance to join in if they are interested. 

xxx

Waffles

Hi Barton,
It looks like the kind of book that most people would be able to get through in a month anyway.I haved enjoyed the Thomas Hardy novels I've read but it takes me a couple of months to get through one. and you are both right, they are quite depressing. xxx
Carolyn52

Just ordered a copy of the book online so it will arrive next week. Soo I'm in the club now.
Hugs xx
Barton

DBNO, I agree, Thomas Hardy is very depressing, plus can be rather boring (nearly died of boredom during the film with Christopher Eccleston (Jude?) - not my favourite actor anyway, I'm afraid).

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

Thanks, Waffles. Have just bought it for my Kindle (£3.99, instead of £7.99). Do you realise it is book one of a series (2 so far)? Looking forward to starting it, but in the middle of something else at the moment.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi everyone,

My first choice is  'The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra' by Vaseem Khan. It was one of the Waterstone's Book Club recommendations. It is fairly short and has very good reviews. It sounds like it isn't heavy going at all. It is available on Kindle and Watertones and , as it only came out last year, most libraries should have it. My local one certainly does.

Does this suit everyone?

Good point about Kindles DBNO. I use the Kindle app on my smartphone which works very well.

Best wishes xxx

Rose47

It's a great idea and thanks for sorting it out xx

Downbutnotout

Just a couple of things -

• Re the Kindle - I don't have one but bought a Kindle 'book' via Amazon and you can download the software to let you use it on a laptop.
  • To avoid having to buy them all, they'll have all the classics in your local library.

One other thing......if you're wanting something a bit upbeat I wouldn't go for Thomas Hardy. After my primary diagnosis I decided I'd start reading the classics but found after reading some Hardy novels and his book of short stories, 'Life's Little Ironies' I realised he's not known for his cheerfulness! 

Enjoy your reading though, it's a great idea.

X

Barton

OK with me, too, Waffles. Choose something good! And preferably something I can get on my Kindle, as well as paperback for the people who don't have a Kindle.

Hugs. Barton.x

rosie53

Fine with me, as I've already said I'm not a great reader but I am going to give it a go, as we have a month per book I'm sure I can manage that! Where do you get your books ladies?  I don't have a kindle, do you buy on line? 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

EJ81

Fine with me too xxx
MaraUk

That's fine with me Waffles xx
Waffles

Hi Mara,

Barton and I were hoping that SamanthaL might like to choose our first book as she had suggested the idea of a book club/reading book  but she hasn't got back in touch yet.  If she hasn't got back to us by tomorrow would anyone mind if I chose the first book just to get us started? xxx

MaraUk

hi waffles

I am looking forward to our new book club reading group Sorry I was late getting back to youjust been away for a few days.

Mara x

Waffles

Hi Ellie,

I love reading but recently I've been more into watching DVDs and TV so hoping the book club will  get me back into reading more regularly. Hopefully, we will have things up and running soon. xxx 

EJ81

Love the idea of a book club on here. I tend to dip in and out of the forum so this will help me visit more regularly too. Missed marcella so might have to try and catch up and join that thread too.
Ellie xxx
Barton

Barton reporting in. Eagerly awaiting announcement of first book! SamanthaL?........

Hugs. Barton.x